• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of SMSL VMV D1 DAC

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It would be dissipated in the tweeter coil, but as its level is at -110dB or below this is not the issue.

Hopefully it isn't. Amir didn't measure it out to 1.8MHz.

The SMSL most likely won't have anything at high enough level to present a safety hazard to the tweeters, but something that's defective, damaged, or poorly designed enough just might. My point is that it's better for an audio amplifier to be band limited to something resembling the range of human hearing rather than attempting to cross over into the ham radio market in for the sake of putting bigger numbers on your spec sheet.

yummy

looks like the problem was that indeed fully awt from head to toe makes some gear look "normal" but with uwt the true monster is out there, the board needs to redone

gvl

Major Contributor
I'm sure awt will make filterless NOS look quite nice too.

CaptObvious

looks like the problem was that indeed fully awt from head to toe makes some gear look "normal" but with uwt the true monster is out there, the board needs to redone

Sorry newbie here, AWT/UWT means?

derp1n

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Any other correspondence from SMSL? Its been quiet here for the last couple days.
They were closed on the weekend. Came back on Monday and said it would be a bit before they would reply.

They had me try something which unfortunately did not fix the problem.

gvl

Major Contributor
Last edited:

CaptObvious

Looks like SMSL added your review @amirm to their Facebook page

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180913-201656.png
    Screenshot_20180913-201656.png
    115.7 KB · Views: 364

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Looks like SMSL added your review @amirm to their Facebook page

If balanced output ( which a lot of "audiophiles" obstinately insist on) is the measure, Amir's review and measurement of the V1 is really quite the endorsement.

Such independent, unsolicited measurements that reflect so well on the parameters that matter for their target customer base are priceless for them imo. You hear it so often over at headfi and a few other forums "I only care about the balanced output ... " * rolls eyes * ....

CaptObvious

Still, if you offer the option of both unbalanced and balanced, both should be somewhat comparable. Especially at the level/price they are marketing at.

Though now I'm curious, looks like they are releasing a SMSL VMV P1 headphone dac/amp based on the D1. Maybe it will correct the issues in the unbalanced side of the D1?

gvl

Major Contributor
Just use one leg of balanced on D1 for your single-ended needs, it is clean.

derp1n

Or they could engineer it well enough that such workarounds aren't needed.

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Time to wait for the "D2" if they release such a DAC.

Top Bottom