• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of SMSL VMV D1 DAC

helloworld

Hello,Whether the sound(sound color) is standard when you measure PHD.

View attachment 15340
This is the real data of SMSL VMV D1 measured by our engineers.Could you like to check it again?
View attachment 15341
Could you like to leave a E-mail for us? Or you can cantact me: [email protected]
Something about the tips to connection of the unbalanced output.Because the output of the VMV D1 is a balanced signal.
I am glad you answerd here. But I guess it's better to invite your engineer to register an account and discuss this product here instead of using the email. Don't bother with the English, I think everyone here can understand.:)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Is there a way to turn off the ASRC in the ESS chip, a.k.a. run it in "sync" mode?
There is a setting for that. What do you want me to test with that?

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company
I am glad you answerd here. But I guess it's better to invite your engineer to register an account and discuss this product here instead of using the email. Don't bother with the English, I think everyone here can understand.:)
That is a very good idea.We will do it.

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company
Thanks for the review at first.
And can you change the Brand name VMV D1 for us.
This is the connection picture when we measured.Connect the earthing port to ensure the correct data.
D1 参考图.jpg

D1 参考图2.jpg
D1 参考图3.jpg
Here.
Looking forward to hear from you.Thank you very much.

gvl

Major Contributor
There is a setting for that. What do you want me to test with that?

I came across comments that ESS chips sound different (better?) when run in sync vs. async modes. It might be interesting to see how things are looking on the objective side of things wrt those claims if you have the time. I suspect there may be differences across USB and SPDIF inputs in sync mode, if you must pick one perhaps then USB? And as for what, hmm, jitter maybe and the dashboard view?

Last edited:

derp1n

Hello,Whether the sound(sound color) is standard when you measure PHD.

View attachment 15340
This is the real data of SMSL VMV D1 measured by our engineers.Could you like to check it again?
View attachment 15341
Could you like to leave a E-mail for us? Or you can cantact me: [email protected]
Something about the tips to connection of the unbalanced output.Because the output of the VMV D1 is a balanced signal.
What effect does the A-weighting filter have here? Surely it's going to roll off the HF noise shown in Amir's graphs rather significantly?

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company
What effect does the A-weighting filter have here? Surely it's going to roll off the HF noise shown in Amir's graphs rather significantly?
A-weighting filter is a filter in the test instrument that conforms to the hearing habits of the human ear.

gvl

Major Contributor
A-weighting filter is a filter in the test instrument that conforms to the hearing habits of the human ear.

This filtering isn't really meant for DAC measurements as far as I understand.

gvl

Major Contributor
Yes, look at the lower right corner of the graph, it shows 96000Hz, means 192k sample rate.

Why? Look at the synchronization frame rate, it was 192kHz in the original A-weighted graph, now it's down to 48.

gvl

Major Contributor
I've just realized Amir did say the HF spikes were present at lower sampling rates as well, so I suppose the 48kHz results above are of interest too.

Top Bottom