• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of SMSL VMV D1 DAC

DeepSpace57

Thank you for this review @amirm, I am just wondering your opinion as to the benefits of D1 over D70. D1 is now for 850 USD. Do you recommend D1 considering its doubled price compared to D70? wish you the best!

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thank you for this review @amirm, I am just wondering your opinion as to the benefits of D1 over D70. D1 is now for 850 USD. Do you recommend D1 considering its doubled price compared to D70? wish you the best!
No, I would go with D70.

gvl

Major Contributor
One has to wonder what commands the 2x price premium for the SMSL unit.

tmaxx123

Rca out on my vmv d1 is noticeably quieter and even sounds like my rca cables are messed up. However, I’ve tested the rcas with other equipment and they are fine. Especially while playing higher fidelity files. (192khz) who do we talk to about this? Is their customer service really as bad as I’ve heard? Hopefully I can find a solution otherwise I’ll be returning/ selling

Hemi-Demon

The price differential is significant is the first point. Secondly, make sure you factor in the limited warranty from Drop.com, 30 day warranty on $850 is pretty ridiculous, imo. I own the VMV and while I am very impressed with it, I have upgrade it-is :p after I saw that Matrix review :eek::eek::eek: amd the praise from SBAF.

We all know that implementation is more important that the chip as a single item, but the two chips to my ears do "sound" different. AKM chips are a bit more velvet and smooth, versus a more digital sound, exact output from the 9038pro chips. Neither is "better", but wanted offer some help and input

Price is better on the D70, the screen is much better on the D70. The rest you will have to decide what is more important, as it is hard to improve on the USB implementation, internal components, and power supply of the VMV.

I have never had one issue, with my VMV, or SU-8 or any of the other SMSL products I have owned in the past 3 years or so. Topping on the other hand, well I am not trying to start any fires :D

DeepSpace57

The price differential is significant is the first point. Secondly, make sure you factor in the limited warranty from Drop.com, 30 day warranty on $850 is pretty ridiculous, imo. I own the VMV and while I am very impressed with it, I have upgrade it-is :p after I saw that Matrix review :eek::eek::eek: amd the praise from SBAF.

We all know that implementation is more important that the chip as a single item, but the two chips to my ears do "sound" different. AKM chips are a bit more velvet and smooth, versus a more digital sound, exact output from the 9038pro chips. Neither is "better", but wanted offer some help and input

Price is better on the D70, the screen is much better on the D70. The rest you will have to decide what is more important, as it is hard to improve on the USB implementation, internal components, and power supply of the VMV.

I have never had one issue, with my VMV, or SU-8 or any of the other SMSL products I have owned in the past 3 years or so. Topping on the other hand, well I am not trying to start any fires :D

Thank you for your answer. Can you make a summary regarding SU-8 vs D1 (through xlr output if possible)? BTW, I ordered 789 from Drop, and already have ether flow headphones.

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

KimbaWLion

I actually came here after I bought the D1 from Drop.
I had been using A Bifrost upgraded to an Uber almost since the Bifrost came out. I have had one warranty issue near the end of the 5 year warranty and it was fixed and upgraded for a discount since it was there. Should it have been a bad unit I would never have known because even now it works fine. But as to why I got the D1...

I was driving my self NUTS on what to upgrade to. Everything has its ups and downs, pro cons etc. I was NOT going to break the $1Kusd mark. I ran across Zeo's web review of the unit saw, how it was costing everywhere else OVER 1K and some previous owners said they liked it a lot and it was a much better offering than the Schiit unit around the same price.

I am using a Cavelli Liquid Carbon 2 and I have a THX 789 coming and I felt it was finally time after 6- 7 years to upgrade the ol' Bifrost. I with everything else I saw "better" costing over1K I was SUPER hesitant given the 30 day warranty etc. Topping I was reading did have some issues even though it was a better value. I was a hair away from ordering one to be honest.

I actually like the DAC, it's super quiet, sounds awesome to me and preforms well. I actually hear a difference, I LIKE, from the Bifrost....
What does make one wonder is the Bifrost 2 a better value? Reading here? I think not... BUT there is Balanced Ladder DAC, the Denafrips Ares II R-2R now on DROP for $770 saying the retail is $1K and of course the comments say its better etc. than the D1 any one here offer light? Keep the D1 or return and order this? ANY thoughts are appreciated... Thanks in advcance!

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
BUT there is Balanced Ladder DAC, the Denafrips Ares II R-2R now on DROP for $770 saying the retail is $1K and of course the comments say its better etc. than the D1 any one here offer light?
I have one for review so may want to wait for that. :)

KimbaWLion

I have been around long to know there is no perfect anything. But information makes you forewarned so you are armed with the proper information to make a correct as possible choice. I have read a lot of information here before joining. I use to hold Schiit in high regard before I came here and read... I just wish there were ways to pre listen to some of this gear before buying... I finally just took the plunge because I was driving myself crazy what to buy, I am just a civil engineer though, so I depend on testing I read here for information. It was stated it was not worth the money at the retail price but at $850 it may be and that is the price delivered... I am thinking of buying a Squaretrade warranty to make me feel better, but I would love to see testing on that balanced ladder DAC...

Jimster480

Major Contributor
No ladder dac is going to stand against modern DS DACs (properly implemented of course). The R&D on those chips is simply too high and the low cost of fabrication today means that r2r really doesn't stand a chance when it requires matched resistors.

KimbaWLion

Well not sure if I spent too much on this or not I like how my set up looks at the moment. I forgot that the DAC had Volume control on it so I added a Little Bear Pot with Balanced and unbalanced inputs I have a great smooth POT to control my speaker volume... Those are Balanced Cardas Hexlink 5C cables in case anybody was interested..
D1 Cavalli LC 2 little pot.jpg

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Well not sure if I spent too much on this or not I like how my set up looks at the moment. I forgot that the DAC had Volume control on it so I added a Little Bear Pot with Balanced and unbalanced inputs I have a great smooth POT to control my speaker volume... Those are Balanced Cardas Hexlink 5C cables in case anybody was interested..
View attachment 33681
Nice little setup! I've never seen that square balanced port though...

KimbaWLion

Others can probably tell you more, but it's called an RSA balanced connector.
Here is an adapter you can find on Amazon. It's not very common that I have seen, but I am more than sure others have seen it plenty of times.
4 Pin RSA to 3 pin XLR converter.

Last edited:

maxxevv

Major Contributor
I have never seen one before either !

Wonder if there's any advantage of it over say mini-XLR though ??

KimbaWLion

I have seen it used on various smaller portable amps a lot awhile ago when I first got into this hobby. Ray Samuels Audio was the first time I ever saw a 4 pin Balanced connector.
I have NO idea if it's better or not. Most still argue about about an unbalanced connection being better than a 3 pin XLR!
Me? I still wonder if the D1 was my best purchase option, BUT at least to me, it sounds awesome and I guess that should be enough! :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom