• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of SMSL VMV D1 DAC

CaptObvious

I wanted the 'end game' so I don't buy any more audio equipment; later this year I plan on picking up 2 Hsu research subwoofers and running them on the unbalanced outputs of the D1 and keep the emotiva's on the balanced outputs. Hopefully that's the end of my stereo system ;)

@Hemi-Demon actually speakers are way more important, grab a pair of nice powered monitors, that should be 80-90% of your audio system.

yummy

found this

TB2UWIlnhuTBuNkHFNRXXc9qpXa_!!57649962.jpg

BigBeard

How do i access settings on tbe DAC, other than input toggle and standby? Do i have to use the controller? I don't see this spoken about in the manual it came with.

Edit: got the battery and accessed menu. The default setting for what I assume is for synchronous clock mode. Should i change it to asynchronous? Why would default be synchronous?

Last edited:

Hemi-Demon

@SMSL-Mandy

I picked up a D1 and I am running it through the paces for a few days, letting it burn in, with a little music play time. I understand that internal relays sometimes will click when changing sampling rates (depending on dac/design/implementation). BUT the D1 clicks pretty loud when changing from 16/44 to say 24/192 to 24/88.1, etc.

I can hear the click, while playing music through my open back cans. Is it even possible to design a DAC with the 9038Pro that does not click, so loudly?

I have multiple dacs, some expensive, some cheap and they all click to a certain degree, but the D1 is pretty noticeable. It "sounds" fantastic though, so it it staying in my collection.

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company
@SMSL-Mandy

I picked up a D1 and I am running it through the paces for a few days, letting it burn in, with a little music play time. I understand that internal relays sometimes will click when changing sampling rates (depending on dac/design/implementation). BUT the D1 clicks pretty loud when changing from 16/44 to say 24/192 to 24/88.1, etc.

I can hear the click, while playing music through my open back cans. Is it even possible to design a DAC with the 9038Pro that does not click, so loudly?

I have multiple dacs, some expensive, some cheap and they all click to a certain degree, but the D1 is pretty noticeable. It "sounds" fantastic though, so it it staying in my collection.

Should connected to the pure amp.

GGekko

I have the following question/issue with my SMSL VMV D1:

When I set it to Volume fixed (max) output and pair it with my THX 789 AAA amplifier and low impedance headphones like my LCD-X, the music is so loud I can barely control the volume on the amp's volume knob. I need to make millimeter microadjustments on the knob to find the right sound level and as soon as the pot is set beyond something like 8 o'clock, it hurts my ears (even with the lowest gain setting). Should I set the DAC to "Volume variable" and something like 18/37 to have more leeway with the pot?

On the one hand I'm told DACs should be set to fixed output for best performance and on the other hand I'm told amplifiers perform best when the pot is around 12 o'clock. How do I solve this dilemma? Any help would be appreciated.

Pic related: this is where the magic happens :p

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 626

gvl

Major Contributor
^^^Is this with the lowest gain setting on the THX ? I guess that's what that the left knob is for. You could try some inline passive attenuators, but I'd just lower DAC output and call it a day.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I have the following question/issue with my SMSL VMV D1:

When I set it to Volume fixed (max) output and pair it with my THX 789 AAA amplifier and low impedance headphones like my LCD-X, the music is so loud I can barely control the volume on the amp's volume knob. I need to make millimeter microadjustments on the knob to find the right sound level and as soon as the pot is set beyond something like 8 o'clock, it hurts my ears (even with the lowest gain setting). Should I set the DAC to "Volume variable" and something like 18/37 to have more leeway with the pot?

On the one hand I'm told DACs should be set to fixed output for best performance and on the other hand I'm told amplifiers perform best when the pot is around 12 o'clock. How do I solve this dilemma? Any help would be appreciated.

Pic related: this is where the magic happens :p
Did you put that huge arrow on your volume pot?

GGekko

^^^Is this with the lowest gain setting on the THX ? I guess that's what that the left knob is for. You could try some inline passive attenuators, but I'd just lower DAC output and call it a day.

Yes, that's with the lowest gain on the THX

Veri

Master Contributor
Yes, I put that huge arrow there. It's a white sticker that I cut to a triangle shape to make increase volume visibility :D
In your case I would recommend equaliserAPO and use -10 -15dB preamp.
Only works with DirectSound though.

vt5c

"...I'm told amplifiers perform best when the pot is around 12 o'clock...." Poppycock, amplifiers have no sense of time.;)

Why use low impedance headphones? Low impedance is only needed for high power.
Add 600 Ohm resistors in series, or calculate an L-pad.

Veri

Master Contributor
Time to wait for the "D2" if they release such a DAC.

Apparently it will be an R2R(ladder) DAC, lol. I'm sure it'll have a more "natural" timbre :facepalm: But it's not surprising, discrete "sounds more analogue!" sound "tech" is popular in China. Heck look at schiit, in the US too. I wonder if the D2 will have more/upgraded featureset though

@SMSL-Mandy any spoiler as to what kind of device you're aiming the SMSL D2 to be? :)

Hemi-Demon

I wonder if the D2 will have more/upgraded featureset though

@SMSL-Mandy any spoiler as to what kind of device you're aiming the SMSL D2 to be? :)

It would be nice if the next version has a better display (see the sabaj D5), and the XMOS 216 usb chip.

Veri

Master Contributor
It would be nice if the next version has a better display (see the sabaj D5), and the XMOS 216 usb chip.
Honestly XU216 for audio... unless you are running custom code for MQA or something like that, XU208 is capable of just about everything. I don't think XU216 is worth anything besides the marketing number. Imo.

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
yea i noticed. But I'm tapped out especially for audio gear at this point in time :)

Maybe someone else wants to take advantage of the price.
I hear ya, plus my SU-8 is still keeping me happy. Sold the Oppo, only miss it a little bit.

Top Bottom