• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of SMSL VMV D1 DAC

mn4

Long shot, but does anyone know if the D1 remote uses standard remote protocols? @SMSL-Mandy any idea? I've asked for a replacement remote control. Admittedly I'd rather just get a working remote as its easily the finest remote ergonomically and visually I've had.

gtb75

FYI, the VMV D1 just showed up on Massdrop today for $900. I already have the SU-8 v2 coming from them, but the D1 at that price point is an interesting proposition. Has anyone directly compared the SU-8 v2 and VMV D1 v2? For what it's worth this would end up as a balanced source for the headphone amps listed in my signature.

gtb75

Sure, I did. As a result of direct comparison it turns out that VMV D1 is slightly bigger and more expensive.

Heavier too :p

I have read both of the threads on here and see the measurement differences, just wondering if anyone has done a side-by-side SQ comparison between the two. I know Zeos is a big fan of the D1, but I have been lurking here long enough to trust the feedback of the members here. I am guessing the SU-8 will be "close enough", and the cost difference covers the THX AAA 789 I've been eyeing.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I am guessing the SU-8 will be "close enough", and the cost difference covers the THX AAA 789 I've been eyeing.
It is and that is the direction I would take unless money is no object at all.

gtb75

It is and that is the direction I would take unless money is no object at all.

Thank you for the feedback! Money is always an object, and I've read enough about the 789 (particularly on here - thank you) to put it on my list. The D1 is interesting, particularly at the MD price point, but the SU-8 v2 seems like a great option - particularly at $200. Sorry to take this slightly OT with the SU-8 conversation.

mn4

I actually think in the right system (i.e. USB not fed from a noisy laptop, balanced connectivity, very high quality preamp, speaker placement and possibly some room EQ etc) that there is a worthwhile difference despite what the numbers say. If you can't get those right then sure, there won't be much difference to report.

For what its worth according to the measurements on this DAC and my previous DACs, there should be "not much dfference" but there clearly is.

On another positive note Customer Services have been once again excellent and smooth, sending out a replacement remote control and refunded me the custom charges no problem.

vt5c

Did the company say where the -100dB switching noise originated from? The 1mV p-p sine clearly show the switching noise. I'm thinking it may be from the power supply. Switching power supplies for digital circuits is no big deal, usually, but in very low noise analog circuits it is a different story.
The differential output did not show this noise, (and that is why differential signalling is preferred), so it looks like the noise is ground conducted.
Finding very low noise (uV) low drop out regulators is not hard, but high frequency noise can radiate, or otherwise be hard to eliminate. Every DC/DC converter has a triangle wave with harmonics on top of the DC output. If the power draw is low, as one would expect in a DAC, then maybe linear regulators may be OK. A little heat dissipated into an aluminum case should be fine. 60Hz harmonics is easier to filter out, rectifier diodes can be selected for low noise, and resistively bypassed for less switching noise. Abrupt switching of rectifiers can excite resonances in leakage inductance in mains transformers capacitance's, and could be mitigated with suitable choke/common mode components on the AC side of the rectifier.
But it looks like they cured the problem.
NiMH batteries could alternatively be used for a low noise, low voltage supply, at least to eliminate one noise source.
If the product has rectifiers directly on the power input terminals it would be easy to feed it clean DC, like from a battery. Charging can be done while not in use.
One would hope this 32-bit converter substantially improves the paltry 16-bit Red Book source material :)

Last edited:

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company
Did the company say where the -100dB switching noise originated from? The 1mV p-p sine clearly show the switching noise. I'm thinking it may be from the power supply. Switching power supplies for digital circuits is no big deal, usually, but in very low noise analog circuits it is a different story.
The differential output did not show this noise, (and that is why differential signalling is preferred), so it looks like the noise is ground conducted.
Finding very low noise (uV) low drop out regulators is not hard, but high frequency noise can radiate, or otherwise be hard to eliminate. Every DC/DC converter has a triangle wave with harmonics on top of the DC output. If the power draw is low, as one would expect in a DAC, then maybe linear regulators may be OK. A little heat dissipated into an aluminum case should be fine. 60Hz harmonics is easier to filter out, rectifier diodes can be selected for low noise, and resistively bypassed for less switching noise. Abrupt switching of rectifiers can excite resonances in leakage inductance in mains transformers capacitance's, and could be mitigated with suitable choke/common mode components on the AC side of the rectifier.
But it looks like they cured the problem.
NiMH batteries could alternatively be used for a low noise, low voltage supply, at least to eliminate one noise source.
If the product has rectifiers directly on the power input terminals it would be easy to feed it clean DC, like from a battery. Charging can be done while not in use.
One would hope this 32-bit converter substantially improves the paltry 16-bit Red Book source material :)

The old board is being shipped to China. But we haven't received it. We will have the explanation after measure it. Thanks.
And the new data in 13th page is the regular version.

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can someone post a picture of the power cable and power supply? Is it an internal AC-DC transformer?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Can someone post a picture of the power cable and power supply? Is it an internal AC-DC transformer?
Yes, it is an internal transformer/board:

SMSL VNV D1 DAC teardown power supplyt.jpg

BigBeard

For those of you who have listened to this DAC, what are your subjective impressions of it?

CaptObvious

It sounds pretty good to me, I had it set up with a pair of powered monitors (emotiva stealth 8). But it doest sound any different to the Khadas tone board, just looks aesthetically more pleasing in my living room.

Hemi-Demon

It sounds pretty good to me, I had it set up with a pair of powered monitors (emotiva stealth 8). But it doest sound any different to the Khadas tone board, just looks aesthetically more pleasing in my living room.

wow that is an expensive cosmetic upgrade. why not get a SU-8 instead, or black preferable?

Top Bottom