• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Review and Measurements of SMSL VMV D1 DAC

This just goes to show, what kind of positive change your presence on the internet via audiosciencereview is starting to be. Engineers willing to be involved in discussions about possible issues (or even oversight/mistakes). I'm loving it!
too... :)

maverickronin

It would be dissipated in the tweeter coil, but as its level is at -110dB or below this is not the issue.
Hopefully it isn't. Amir didn't measure it out to 1.8MHz.

The SMSL most likely won't have anything at high enough level to present a safety hazard to the tweeters, but something that's defective, damaged, or poorly designed enough just might. My point is that it's better for an audio amplifier to be band limited to something resembling the range of human hearing rather than attempting to cross over into the ham radio market in for the sake of putting bigger numbers on your spec sheet.

looks like the problem was that indeed fully awt from head to toe makes some gear look "normal" but with uwt the true monster is out there, the board needs to redone

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Any other correspondence from SMSL? Its been quiet here for the last couple days.
They were closed on the weekend. Came back on Monday and said it would be a bit before they would reply.

They had me try something which unfortunately did not fix the problem.

gvl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Last edited:

maxxevv

Looks like SMSL added your review @amirm to their Facebook page
If balanced output ( which a lot of "audiophiles" obstinately insist on) is the measure, Amir's review and measurement of the V1 is really quite the endorsement.

Such independent, unsolicited measurements that reflect so well on the parameters that matter for their target customer base are priceless for them imo. You hear it so often over at headfi and a few other forums "I only care about the balanced output ... " * rolls eyes * ....

Still, if you offer the option of both unbalanced and balanced, both should be somewhat comparable. Especially at the level/price they are marketing at.

Though now I'm curious, looks like they are releasing a SMSL VMV P1 headphone dac/amp based on the D1. Maybe it will correct the issues in the unbalanced side of the D1?