• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of SMSL SU-8 DAC

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Pillars

I've sent this user a message, thanks for that. SMSL has not replied to an email asking if I could RMA to the newest version. I emailed the info on their site "[email protected]" back on Nov 28th.

Last edited:

Pillars

I'm sure other users are curious about their units and experience with customer service requesting a fixed version. My intention was to share my experience. I own other SMSL gear and have been generally quite pleased with the performance. This is my first time contacting them about service however.

Tatteredmidnight

I'm sure other users are curious about their units and experience with customer service requesting a fixed version. My intention was to share my experience. I own other SMSL gear and have been generally quite pleased with the performance. This is my first time contacting them about service however.

I may have come across as curt, apologies. I was simply suggesting you mention SMSL-Mandy by her handle to ensure you get her attention, if you want it.

Toku

Major Contributor
I've sent this user a message, thanks for that. SMSL has not replied to an email asking if I could RMA to the newest version. I emailed the info on their site "[email protected]" back on Nov 28th.
I sent an e-mail to SMSL several times, but never got a reply. Topping will surely receive a reply.

wadec22

I sent an e-mail to SMSL several times, but never got a reply. Topping will surely receive a reply.

That's odd. I exchanged half a dozen emails with them thru Amazon after my M10 purchase. I've also exchanged PM with Mandy.

I agree, mention by handle and send pm

Pillars

I received a PM on here. Was referred to Massdrop for replacement. Will try going that route.

Pillars

Sadly both Massdrop and SMSL have declined to replace my not so well performing V1 unit. Massdrop cited SMSL does not offer a warranty on the device through massdrop which is odd, since Topping does stand behind their product.

I had to pull teeth to get a response as well, which is unfortunate. While SMSL makes some decent products for the price I'll choose to stick to companies with stronger service. To be clear, they are legally in the right - just not standing behind their product line very well IMO. Best of luck to them in the future, however.

helloworld

Sadly both Massdrop and SMSL have declined to replace my not so well performing V1 unit. Massdrop cited SMSL does not offer a warranty on the device through massdrop which is odd, since Topping does stand behind their product.

I had to pull teeth to get a response as well, which is unfortunate. While SMSL makes some decent products for the price I'll choose to stick to companies with stronger service. To be clear, they are legally in the right - just not standing behind their product line very well IMO. Best of luck to them in the future, however.
Get a solder machine......it’s very easy to mod it. Also, based on smsl’ explanations, v1 is not a defective DAC, it only requires you to listen under -6dB to get the best sound quality.

Pillars

I'd consider having to run it at -6db from the line out specifications advertised defective. Though I am curious, how would a soldering solve the saturation problems? Have info on this? I'm proficient with an iron.

helloworld

I'd consider having to run it at -6db from the line out specifications advertised defective. Though I am curious, how would a soldering solve the saturation problems? Have info on this? I'm proficient with an iron.
Check the previous posts in SMSL V2 review page, SMSL have given the information about how to mod the V1 to V2 by simply soldering one wire.

Last edited:

Pillars

Major differences when using it as a DAC into an amp. Prefer the DAC to do a max fixed line out to amp. Seems more controlled when at max volume on my systems after modding. I've wanted to try the SU-8 into a headphone amp. If your unit is a week old you are within your 1 month grace period from Massdrop (if you bought there) for a swap. I'd recommend getting a good one to begin with instead of having to resort to modding. I only did this since SMSL wouldn't swap it for me =\ On the plus side, they did post this fix so.. there is that.

glajman

Returning it to Massdrop would be a hassle, because I live in Serbia. It traveled for almost a month including customs checks etc.

I'm quite happy with the sound though, I mean, I wouldn't return it/mod it unless it's a night and day type of thing. Just wanted to ask for your opinion on the differences. I use mine with Adam audio T7v monitors, connected via balanced cables. I use the inner volume control. For most cases, I don't go over 32-34.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Major differences when using it as a DAC into an amp. Prefer the DAC to do a max fixed line out to amp. Seems more controlled when at max volume on my systems after modding. I've wanted to try the SU-8 into a headphone amp. If your unit is a week old you are within your 1 month grace period from Massdrop (if you bought there) for a swap. I'd recommend getting a good one to begin with instead of having to resort to modding. I only did this since SMSL wouldn't swap it for me =\ On the plus side, they did post this fix so.. there is that.

How's that? Was it jumping all over the table before your mod? :D

Top Bottom