• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of SMSL SU-8 DAC

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm I would be really interested to see if you can hear a difference between the different colour settings, and if so, how they sound different to you!
Seconded.
Does anyone know of any other dacs that have this feature?

ampegaG

Seconded.
Does anyone know of any other dacs that have this feature?

All those filters come from the DAC chipset ES9038Q2M itself, they are already implemented, so I guess every DAC featuring this chipset will have the (same) 7 filters as well. Probably only the names the manufacturer assign to each other could be different.

Last edited:

yue

su-8's color feature utilizes 9038's thd compensation feature and will adjust 2nd and 3rd harmonics.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
su-8's color feature utilizes 9038's thd compensation feature and will adjust 2nd and 3rd harmonics.
Good guess as that is exactly what it seems to be doing.

Toku

Major Contributor
I received a shipping notice from Massdrop. My SU-8 was sent from NJ to Japan by DHL on August 3rd. But my SU-8 has stopped tracking after going back and forth twice between NJ and Frankfurt, Germany. I am very anxious that SU-8 will arrive safely to me. One month has already passed since the end of DROP.
I regret very much what I bought at Massdrop. Even if it's a bit expensive, it was better to buy from China.

Krunok

Major Contributor
I received a shipping notice from Massdrop. My SU-8 was sent from NJ to Japan by DHL on August 3rd. But my SU-8 has stopped tracking after going back and forth twice between NJ and Frankfurt, Germany. I am very anxious that SU-8 will arrive safely to me. One month has already passed since the end of DROP.
I regret very much what I bought at Massdrop. Even if it's a bit expensive, it was better to buy from China.

Not that it makes a big difference to you but this seems like an issue with DHL and not Massdrop.

Ajax

Forum Donor
Hi Amirm,

I have just joined your forum after finding your previous tests of various equipment very useful, some of which I have purchased, so thanks for that.

I have joined the Massdrop drop for the SMSL SU-8 DAC (US$199), which I will use to feed a pair of Behringer 15" powered speakers that I bought cheaply second hand. I intend using this system for parties as the SU-8's remote and balanced outputs makes it perfect. My source will most likely be Spotify playlists on a Mac book pro.

The only real negative I can see in your test results above is your comment that in balanced mode ... "Distortion climbs unfortunately reducing SINAD to 86 dB. As you see in this IMD graph, this is due to the output stage saturating". A couple of questions:

Would actually hear this "distortion" in a party situation?
Would keeping the volume down on the SU-8's remote, while increasing the volume on the Behringers, minimise the effect?
Would the addition of a better power supply for the SU-8 help reduce the distortion and if so what would be the required voltage? Is the answer is "Yes" is there an inexpensive power supply you would recommend?

Many thanks in advance and keep up the good work - it is great to have an independent resource such as Audio Science Review.

Regards,

Ajax

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Amirm,

I have just joined your forum after finding your previous tests of various equipment very useful, some of which I have purchased, so thanks for that.

I have joined the Massdrop drop for the SMSL SU-8 DAC (US$199), which I will use to feed a pair of Behringer 15" powered speakers that I bought cheaply second hand. I intend using this system for parties as the SU-8's remote and balanced outputs makes it perfect. My source will most likely be Spotify playlists on a Mac book pro.

The only real negative I can see in your test results above is your comment that in balanced mode ... "Distortion climbs unfortunately reducing SINAD to 86 dB. As you see in this IMD graph, this is due to the output stage saturating". A couple of questions:

Would actually hear this "distortion" in a party situation?
Would keeping the volume down on the SU-8's remote, while increasing the volume on the Behringers, minimise the effect?
Would the addition of a better power supply for the SU-8 help reduce the distortion and if so what would be the required voltage? Is the answer is "Yes" is there an inexpensive power supply you would recommend?

Many thanks in advance and keep up the good work - it is great to have an independent resource such as Audio Science Review.

Regards,

Ajax

There's no chance you'd hear any of that distortion in a party situation IMO, even maxing the balanced outputs from the SU-8 won't be an audible problem at all.

Keeping the volume at -6dB on SU-8 would minimise this effect slightly on peaks higher in level than -6dBfs (which are rare), but it's all academic - the effect just won't be audible in the first place.

I'm not sure about the power supply question. All I can say is that the speakers will be producing exponentially more distortion than the DAC at party levels, and there is no chance that even the worst case scenario 0.008% distortion at 0dBfs produced by the DAC will be anywhere near audibility thresholds.

To give some context, a top line pair of two-way PA speakers might produce around 1% distortion at 100dB, or 10%+ distortion when driven towards their maximum RMS levels, and those Behringers will be producing more distortion than that.

Even on a pair of excellent studio monitors in a properly-designed studio, it would be very unlikely the SU-8's level of distortion (at any volume) would be audible IMO. But this would be the only context where I might try to take steps to mitigate the issue.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks for the kind words. @andreasmaaan stole my answers. :) On this one, no, I would not bother with other power supplies.

jsmiller58

Forum Donor
Question - the SU-8 or the DX7s? Based on the measurements there isn’t any question, but the price difference on Massdrop is $180 so want to make sure the benefits of the DX7 over the SU-8 make it worthwhile. I already have one balanced Amp, the MD LCX, so the answer can also be that the DX7s amp is much better than the LCX (if that is the cause). Thanks!!!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hello! Please, if possible, post a photo of this DAC from the inside.:)
The owner wants to sell it so I am not sure if he wants me to open it.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Question - the SU-8 or the DX7s? Based on the measurements there isn’t any question, but the price difference on Massdrop is $180 so want to make sure the benefits of the DX7 over the SU-8 make it worthwhile.
I would go with SU-8 in that case.

Satanah

The owner wants to sell it so I am not sure if he wants me to open it.

Большое спасибо за ваш ответ. Я написал это, потому что в Интернете нет фотографии с открытой крышкой.
Извините за мой английский, я живу в России.:)

pos

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Большое спасибо за ваш ответ. Я написал это, потому что в Интернете нет фотографии с открытой крышкой.
Извините за мой английский, я живу в России.:)
which google translates to:
Thank you very much for your response. I wrote this because there is no photo on the Internet with the lid open.
Sorry for my english, I live in Russia

Toku

Major Contributor
Finally SMSL SU-8 arrived at my place.
It took me 19 days for goods to arrive in my place living in Japan since MassDrop sent SU-8 shipping notice.
I am surprised because it is too late. EDISON NJ state was very far from Japan, it reached the earth one round and arrived!

I check the operation of SU-8 immediately, but there is one point to worry about.
When you switch songs, sometimes the beginning of the song will behave like a fade in.
It is about 0.5 seconds to 1 second in terms of time.
Does your SU-8 have similar symptoms?

Top Bottom