• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of SMSL SU-8 DAC

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I agree. But as long as this DAC is used with volume control why worry about how it performs at 0dB or at -90dB as long as it performs good in between?

I would be interested to see THD+N at say -60dB, -40dB and -20dB as that is where this device will mostly be used. Don't you agree?

The reality is that the distortions here are unlikely to be audible. But I am somewhat esthetically bothered by engineering misses when it wouldn't have cost any more to get it right from end to end.

THD+N vs level at several frequencies is an interesting and often useful measurement. But again, we have to be ready to partition the results into D and N, as well as understand the nature of each.

I also am an advocate of multitone measurements- in my reviews, I use a 42 tone test signal.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
That doesn't explain it - unbalanced output doesn't suffer from clipping but has linearity issue.

Btw, clipping at 0dB is not an issue in my eyes as long as it works well at lower levels. As I said, I can't imagine anybody cranking the colume to 0 dB.

That depends upon how the dac is used. If you use it fixed volume into an amp with a volume control then the dac will often approach 0dB with many recordings. If, as I do, You use a software volume control and the dac directly feeds a power amp then the dac output is indeed reduced way below 0dB. - 15dB to - 25dB is a more typical level in my particular system.

You do have a point though, I too would like to see some intermediate levels tested.

Last edited:

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The reality is that the distortions here are unlikely to be audible. But I am somewhat esthetically bothered by engineering misses when it wouldn't have cost any more to get it right from end to end.

THD+N vs level at several frequencies is an interesting and often useful measurement. But again, we have to be ready to partition the results into D and N, as well as understand the nature of each.

I also am an advocate of multitone measurements- in my reviews, I use a 42 tone test signal.

How is @amirm measuring IM to produce the graphs?

Krunok

Major Contributor
That depends upon how the dac is used. If you use it fixed volume into an amp with a volume control then the dac will often approach 0dB with many recordings. If, as I do, You use a software volume control and the dac directly feeds a power amp then the dac output is indeed reduced way below 0dB.

I agree. But as this DAC has it's own digital volume control (which is supposed to be losless) and as most amps don't have volume control, in my eyes it would make sense to measure the performance at lower levels as well.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think so. For example, harmonics generated from power supply and/or from USB packets won't show on IMD test.

True, that's why I said it's strongly related to THD, not THD+N (the power supply spuriae are not harmonically related to the signal and won't appear in any measurement of THD or IMD, but will appear in any measurement of THD+N).

It seems what you want to know is whether the power supply spuriae would stay at the same level if the signal were reduced to e.g. -60dBfs. Is that correct?

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Typically you fire 2 tones simultanously and measure what happens on the sum and the difference of their frequencies.

Yeh, but there are many ways of doing this (not limited to just two-tone signals) and many standards for determining which harmonics are counted.

Krunok

Major Contributor
It seems what you want to know is whether the power supply spuriae would stay at the same level if the signal were reduced to e.g. -60dBfs. Is that correct?

Yes, among other things. I also want to know what would happen to both, THD and THD+N at say -60dBfs.

Krunok

Major Contributor
No, it only would in thd + noise.

I wanted to say that majority of the crap can be expressed as THD+IMD+different type of noise (harmonic signals from power supply and USB beeing some of them).

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, among other things. I also want to know what would happen to both, THD and THD+N at say -60dBfs.

You can make a very confident prediction about THD at -60dBfs by looking at the IM graph. You can make an educated guess about THD+N by eyeballing the IM graph and then adding [100 (level of PS spuriae) + level (in -dBfs)] for the unbalanced outputs, or by adding [120 (level of PS spuriae) + level (in -dBfs)] for the balanced outputs.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Yes you are, but you are looking at intermodulation harmonics. For example, the third order intermodulation harmonic specified in the CCIF standard is the harmonic that appears at frequencies 2*f1-f2 and 2*f2-f1.

Exactly. But I thought those are not called "harmonics".

Ok, let's be clear: if you send one tone that tone will be played along with its harmonics. If you play 2 tones those 2 tones are gonna be played along with their harmonics and with some new IM crap. If you play 3 tones those 3 tones will be played along with the harmonics of all 3 tones and some more IM crap. I believe we are all speaking of the same thing so let's not waste time on this. ;)

Top Bottom