• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of SMSL SU-8 DAC

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I tried some digital coaxial cables with su 8......monster cable was bass heavy, hama from supermarket was thin, friendmade diy cable (cheap) was most neutral of these so I use that.

How did you determine this? Actual listening tests? This seems to be an extraordinary claim.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Hi, there is people stating that there are "sonic" differences with this DAC when using different USB cables.
"Obviously" the $600 cable sounds significantly better than a $60 cable and unbelievably better than a printer cable.
True or illusion?
And, if true, what can be the causes?
Thanks
There is no difference with digital cables ever. Either its broken or its not. The rest is myth and snake oil.

Oukkidoukki

How did you determine this? Actual listening tests? This seems to be an extraordinary claim.
By chainging the cable....keeping volume and song parts the same.....I have pretty good acustics and accurate studio monitoring.....

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
By chainging the cable....keeping volume and song parts the same.....I have pretty good acustics and accurate studio monitoring.....

So no actual controls, then. If you do this ears-only, it might be worthwhile, but peeking invalidates the observation.

Oukkidoukki

Yes, with ears only. So I can’t scientifically prove my claim. Maybe I am wrong, but for my ears difference was very obvious.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Yes, with ears only. So I can’t scientifically prove my claim. Maybe I am wrong, but for my ears difference was very obvious.
If it’s not double blind, it is the opposite of ears only. So to understand if you’re actually hearing something, as opposed to fooling yourself (which is a VERY human thing!), you have a bit more work to do before that claim can have any validity. Double blind is the most basic control in a valid listening test.

FireLion

If i do the mod to the 1.1 to 1.2 with the wire can i apply the 1.3 firmware and if so what benefits will I see doing everything?

yahrightthere

Bragging rights ;)

But honestly no, there's so many satisfied SU-8 owners out there! Buy one and simply don't look back at all the brand spanking new stuff releasing.
Unfortunately I ended up returning mine that i had just bought.
Every time I turned the dac on my speakers would pop very loud, i was concerned that it may blow out a speaker.
I never got that pop through my speakers until i added this dac.
The dac is connected via optical out from the TV, then out to powered speakers via XLR.
Before i added the dac the speakers where connect via optical from the TV, & again i never got the pop.
I had read where others using a USB connection had eliminated this issue, however that is not an option at least to my limited knowledge without adding another piece of equipment.
I had also contacted the vendor & they did not have a solution for the issue.
I liked the SMSL SU-8 for the price function & features & I will say that to me instruments sounded clean & clearer, not harsh or bright but more detail from what I was hearing, but i just couldn't live with the popping.

Paperdragons

Hey guys, I did an AB/x with a friend changing the coloration every 20 seconds or so between standard and a different filter. The test was done with DT 1990s, Hd 650s, Ether CX, and LCD2Fs. I did 5 tries for each headphone. The only one I could tell apart (16/20 times) was the Tube 3. I got 8/20 for Rich 3 and 11/20 for bright 3. The Ether CX was the only one I got 5/5 with for the tube filter.

I wasn't listening to the same part of a song. I can barely tell them apart but they are kind of cool to mess around with. I can hear little differences when I replay a part of a song over and over again while switching. I'm an OCD EQ user (Peace GUI usually) and it's cool that this gives you some non EQ options to color the sound even if it's incredibly subtle.

I'd still recommend this unit off the build and features alone. It's really nice. Make sure you change the voltage to your respective country's wall ports.

lambda_unit

Sorry for the noob question, but does anyone know if this device has an auto sleep/wake when the input is inactive/active? I can't find it mentioned anywhere.

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Sorry for the noob question, but does anyone know if this device has an auto sleep/wake when the input is inactive/active? I can't find it mentioned anywhere.

I have a couple SU-8 v2's and both stay on from the time I hit the power button until I turn it off....at least for 8 hours.

I know this as if I am sleepy when I shut down my PC before I head to bed and forget to turn it off, the display still shows "44.1k" when I walk into the room in the morning.

There is also no selectable option for anything like that in the 5 menu areas (input, filter, "sound" = preferred type of added distortion if any, dimmer level, display mode.)

Ajax

Forum Donor
I have the SU8 and I’m 99% the unit remains on. You could obviously double check by emailing SMSL, in case there is a switch somewhere or button on the remote that puts it into a “standby” mode.

Toku

Major Contributor
Unfortunately, SMSL products do not have an automatic sleep & wake feature. Topping products have that functionality.

LukaV

Hi!
Anyone can tell me the difference between su-8 and su-8 v2? I have an option to buy it on amazon (new) and all su-8/su-8 v2 look the same.

Veri

Master Contributor
Hi!
Anyone can tell me the difference between su-8 and su-8 v2? I have an option to buy it on amazon (new) and all su-8/su-8 v2 look the same.
All current are V2. Only an old used one can be original revision (bit worse performance).

LukaV

All current are V2. Only an old used one can be original revision (bit worse performance).
Ok. I assumed that, but in some descriptions version is not stated at all.
How would v2 compare to Soncoz LAqxd1?

Top Bottom