• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of SMSL SU-8 DAC

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This post from amir showed some of the sound color differences
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...measurements-of-smsl-su-8-dac.3778/post-91324

The original sound is only in the 20th anniversary edition I think. All of these modes play with the distortion compensation in the ESS Sabre chip. You just need to try it out for yourself...
Thanks. I don't think Amir measured the 'Original' mode as it wasn't available with the model he had to test. Distortion by 20Db isn't gonna be noticeable but what I am surprised with is that all sound modes respond the same way... So no frequency changes at all! I guess that's a good thing... But then that raises the question: what's the DAC doing by introducing distortion that had no effect on the frequency? But I do hear a bit more raised and separated vocals in the Original mode when compared to the Standard mode. @SMSL-Mandy appreciate if you can clarify and let us know which mode in the anniversary edition of the SMSL SU-8 is best performing. Thanks

Veri

Master Contributor
Thanks. I don't think Amir measured the 'Original' mode as it wasn't available with the model he had to test. Distortion by 20Db isn't gonna be noticeable but what I am surprised with is that all sound modes respond the same way... So no frequency changes at all! I guess that's a good thing... But then that raises the question: what's the DAC doing by introducing distortion that had no effect on the frequency?

It raises second and third harmonic respectively in varying degrees. Harmonics can add flavour to the sound but at certain thresholds it obviously turns into a bad thing. The sound flavor is added by SMSL to try and mimick a 'Tube' response without actual tubes.

There are of course opponents and proponents for 'tubey'-ness. For example I don't think Amir is much of a fan at all :D but some seem to love their tubes so ymmv

badyard

It raises second and third harmonic respectively in varying degrees. Harmonics can add flavour to the sound but at certain thresholds it obviously turns into a bad thing. The sound flavor is added by SMSL to try and mimick a 'Tube' response without actual tubes.

There are of course opponents and proponents for 'tubey'-ness. For example I don't think Amir is much of a fan at all :D but some seem to love their tubes so ymmv
As mentioned previously, from my very basic tests the following profiles (Standard, Cristal 2 and Original) on my "20th anniversary edition unit" didn't show any added harmonics at all. Might be a firmware bug, a placebo sort of joke from SMSL, or can be that those profiles are doing something else I couldn't measure with my rudimentary test.

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
As mentioned previously, from my very basic tests the following profiles (Standard, Cristal 2 and Original) on my "20th anniversary edition unit" didn't show any added harmonics at all. Might be a firmware bug, a placebo sort of joke from SMSL, or can be that those profiles are doing something else I couldn't measure with my rudimentary test.
Thanks @badyard.

MRphotography

Following this whole thread myself, trying to determine all the PCM filters what their uses are as well as the sound profiles.....

ClosDeBen

I've waited till the last hours of the current drop offer on this DAC. While I'd love one with a physical volume knob like the Soncoz, this is near 1/3 the cost of most every other recommended DAC with XLR out. Assuming the measurement differences of a new unit are likely below ability to discern, are there other details that would make the D70, Soncoz and other $450+ cost players worth the extra dough ?

Veri

Master Contributor
I've waited till the last hours of the current drop offer on this DAC. While I'd love one with a physical volume knob like the Soncoz, this is near 1/3 the cost of most every other recommended DAC with XLR out. Assuming the measurement differences of a new unit are likely below ability to discern, are there other details that would make the D70, Soncoz and other $450+ cost players worth the extra dough ?
Bragging rights ;)

But honestly no, there's so many satisfied SU-8 owners out there! Buy one and simply don't look back at all the brand spanking new stuff releasing.

gvl

Major Contributor
I'd personally wait for the Soncoz LA-QXD1.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I don't think there is anything else that is worth more money unless you specifically like a different model more.

Veri

Master Contributor
The fact that the SU-8 has a remote and no physical buttons on the unit, as opposed to the Sonocoz, makes them suitable for different use cases (at least for me).
The remote definite helped it become so popular :)

gvl

Major Contributor
The fact that the SU-8 has a remote and no physical buttons on the unit, as opposed to the Sonocoz, makes them suitable for different use cases (at least for me).

Yup, if you need a remote and balanced then the SU-8 is the best value out there.

Cortes

I've put my SU8 on my TV. The TV toslking works fine with the SU for non HD content, but HD content, or amazon video, does not work with the SU8.

What's the reason of this?. Toslink is an old interface, and not reason for this spooky behavior.

gvl

Major Contributor
I've put my SU8 on my TV. The TV toslking works fine with the SU for non HD content, but HD content, or amazon video, does not work with the SU8.

What's the reason of this?. Toslink is an old interface, and not reason for this spooky behavior.

Those are most likely multi-channel audio programs and TV sends Dolby Digital compressed audio over Toslink that the DAC does not understand. You need to enforce PCM downmix to 2 channels on digital out in TV settings.

Cortes

Those are most likely multi-channel audio programs and TV sends Dolby Digital compressed audio over Toslink that the DAC does not understand. You need to enforce PCM downmix to 2 channels on digital out in TV settings.

@gvl,

Awesome!. I changed the setting to PCM and now works perfectly. Thank a lot; it's impressive how knowledgeable you guys are.

Reactions: gvl

teodorom

Hi, there is people stating that there are "sonic" differences with this DAC when using different USB cables.
"Obviously" the $600 cable sounds significantly better than a $60 cable and unbelievably better than a printer cable.
True or illusion?
And, if true, what can be the causes?
Thanks

Oukkidoukki

I tried some digital coaxial cables with su 8......monster cable was bass heavy, hama from supermarket was thin, friendmade diy cable (cheap) was most neutral of these so I use that.

teodorom

I tried some digital coaxial cables with su 8......monster cable was bass heavy, hama from supermarket was thin, friendmade diy cable (cheap) was most neutral of these so I use that.
Thanks, but I was talking about USB cables...

Oukkidoukki

I know. I just put that info about my test there so I can feel I am a part of asr community. Doing tests and so on.... I tried some usb cables but didn't notice any difference so stayed with the one that came with the package.

Top Bottom