• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of SMSL SP200 THX HP Amp

Veri

Master Contributor
And is it possible to use xlr as input and 6.3mm jack as output at all in the first place? Thanks.
Totally possible, yes. But I fear your problem comes from noisy PC output, PC jack out is not the most noise-free to start with..

marvind

Totally possible, yes. But I fear your problem comes from noisy PC output, PC jack out is not the most noise-free to start with..
Thanks! I will try some different inputs and dacs first and some other rca cables, just to find out if it will reduce the noise.

Veri

Master Contributor
Thanks! I will try some different inputs and dacs first and some other rca cables, just to find out if it will reduce the noise.
You can buy monoprice RCA to XLR as a cheap cable to try. But if you still use the PC as source, it might just be noisy to start with. With other sources it might help. On my THX 789 I used RCA to XLR cable with success. But it doesn't always do much. Too many factors :)

marvind

Yes you are absolutely right. Even with the non-fancy usb DAC dongles I have here, I can hear the same noise on my PC. however, when I tried several phones with or without dongles, the noise is significantly less. I will try to borrow some other DACs to use for my PC and hope it will improve.

860lacov

And every unit is not rectangular?
Price on drop is perfect but it looks awful.

Will I have a warranty in Europe for the product from drop ?

huggzymers

And every unit is not rectangular?
Price on drop is perfect but it looks awful.

Will I have a warranty in Europe for the product from drop ?
I quite like the rhombus shape. I feel that for too long people have adhered to a rectangular-centric world when the fact is, rectangles are just as arbitrary a shape as any other!

And even though I enjoy the rhombus shape, it's hardly noticeable.

But each to their own.

Cisco150

That's a great price. Add a Topping DS10 which is on sale for $92 and for $232 it's pretty good. On the other hand for $296 you can have an all in one EX5 with Bluetooth and better Sinad, 118 vs 112 on the ds10... or for $169 get the new SMSL SU-6 DAC paired with the SP200 for $306 total...Too many choices! Could the SMSL SP200 actually power efficient passive speakers?
Would you think the EX5 and this would be a good combo as using the EX5 as a Dac. Or the SU-9 etc

Last edited:

holsen

As always, great review. I've got the JDS Atom v1 and have been considering upgrading it. I only run IEMs so I'm not sute what to get or if I even need to. Any comments or recommendations? I'm certain I will not power to drive Headphones as IEMs are my thing. Should I just stick with the Atom?

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As always, great review. I've got the JDS Atom v1 and have been considering upgrading it. I only run IEMs so I'm not sute what to get or if I even need to. Any comments or recommendations? I'm certain I will not power to drive Headphones as IEMs are my thing. Should I just stick with the Atom?
I'd stick with the Atom since I have an SP200 and it only has two gain modes, high and higher. I use the Venture Electronics VE Monk ear buds, which are 64 ohm but measure at 71 and they work well. Anything sensitive and you might get channel imbalance dialing it so low. I have the THX 789 also and those would be great with the 3 position gain switch, plus 3.5mm and 6.35mm plugs as well as XLR so you could keep them plugged in. The Drop THX One is also really nice if you find a good price, but it's so similar to the Atom, the case is much nicer though.

MrBrainwash

In terms of SQ you can stick to Atom I think it have good measurements. But if it comes to versatility then I suggest you something that give you mobility and PEQ - Qudelix 5k.

EQ is the reasonable way to improve sound if you have clean source and choosed IEMs (if they have low distortion and not optimal tonality for your ears)

Last edited:

EvilMunchkin

I got one of these from the Drop sale. My 6XX absolutely loves them, much better detail and clarity than my Atom. However, sometimes when I turn it on, it makes a repeated clicking noise and won't play anything. I can fix this by switching it on and off again. Is this normal or did I get a defective unit? It works perfectly otherwise.
Also, for those recommending the Khadas Tone Board, how do I exactly use it? Since its just exposed circuitry, I'm sketched about handling it. Is there a little box or something I can put it in lol.

Roland68

Major Contributor
I got one of these from the Drop sale. My 6XX absolutely loves them, much better detail and clarity than my Atom. However, sometimes when I turn it on, it makes a repeated clicking noise and won't play anything. I can fix this by switching it on and off again. Is this normal or did I get a defective unit? It works perfectly otherwise.
Also, for those recommending the Khadas Tone Board, how do I exactly use it? Since its just exposed circuitry, I'm sketched about handling it. Is there a little box or something I can put it in lol.
You need to search for "Aluminum Case for Khadas Tone Board" or "Case for Khadas Tone Board". These cases are now hard to find as most are sold out.
Alternatively, you can machine a suitable standard housing (preferably aluminium) or print a housing.
https://forum.khadas.com/t/3d-printable-case-enclosure-for-the-tone-board/4111

As a hardcore user, screw the beautiful board directly onto your SP200 with golden spacer bolts ;)

Cisco150

Hi, guys I just got my D1SE DAC was using 3.5mm to RCA from pc before. While using the DAC on the sp200 and I notice using the XLR inputs on the sp200 my right channel is lower and sound distorted I'm using the 6.3mm output to my HifiMan Ananda, don't have a balanced XLR cable yet for the headphones and I tried moving the XLR from left to right and the headphone left to right as well and the issue stayed on the right channel. in RCA input to amp I don't get non of that.

If needed i can make a new topic if this is in the wrong section

Cisco150

If I need to replace my amp what would go good with the D1SE DAC was looking at the Singxer SA-1 or the Topping A30 Pro or something ya recommend thanks for ya help

Veri

Master Contributor
If I need to replace my amp what would go good with the D1SE DAC was looking at the Singxer SA-1 or the Topping A30 Pro or something ya recommend thanks for ya help
How much power do you need? A30 Pro is a good amp. Sabaj A20h I own is also a very nice amp because it has digital/relay based volume control.

Roland68

Major Contributor
The SA-1 is a very good unit, and one of the few in the last few years that has had to stay with me.
From my own experience, I can highly recommend the SMSL SH-9 as a cheap alternative. It has a relay based volume control with absolute channel equality.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, guys I just got my D1SE DAC was using 3.5mm to RCA from pc before. While using the DAC on the sp200 and I notice using the XLR inputs on the sp200 my right channel is lower and sound distorted I'm using the 6.3mm output to my HifiMan Ananda, don't have a balanced XLR cable yet for the headphones and I tried moving the XLR from left to right and the headphone left to right as well and the issue stayed on the right channel. in RCA input to amp I don't get non of that.

If needed i can make a new topic if this is in the wrong section
Annoying for you. Be good to rule out the right xlr output from the dac not being the issue (as you can still send that back) . Do you have anyone close with an xlr input amp (and cables) you could borrow to rule out the dac?

Top Bottom