• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of SMSL SP200 THX HP Amp

HDavidson

The cable is good. Dac is good too. So it's the SMSL that is broken. This is the third headphone amp that died right away. Nuforce HA-200 died after 3 hours. I'm confused. Tired ... The headphone amplifiers of my Yamaha AS2000 work perfectly (it is connected to the same dac). I want to give up these headphone amps

Last edited:

mshenay

That is simply untrue lol. distributor trying to save his ass
@mshenay as an owner can you test it? RCA in, XLR-4 out. this definitely has to work .....

Huh? What 3pin needed for 4pin out? Yea give me like 20mins to test it

but even that's kinda moot as @amirm is spot on ofc there is something wrong with the unit if that's happening

Veri

Master Contributor
Huh? What 3pin needed for 4pin out? Yea give me like 20mins to test it

but even that's kinda moot as @amirm is spot on ofc there is something wrong with the unit if that's happening
Yeah I guess just wanted to make sure. RCA in XLR out, both channels work right?

Unbelievable the reseller says only XLR in XLR out works. That's simply a lie.

HDavidson

Bad news. I just tried XLR - XLR and right channel does not function. But function in RCA-RCA. So this amp is defective.
I will return the seller dear tomorrow.

Three attempts in a row: 1 / aune x7s- pot problem 2 / nuforce HA-200 died after 3 hours. Two months of service ... never returned. I was reimbursed. 3 / SMSL is defective on arrival.

Last edited:

Shane D

Forum Donor
Bad news. I just tried XLR - XLR and right channel does not function. But function in RCA-RCA. So this amp is defective.
I will return the seller dear tomorrow.

Three attempts in a row: 1 / aune x7s- pot problem 2 / nuforce HA-200 died after 3 hours. Two months of service ... never returned. I pay you back. 3 / SMSL is defective on arrival.

Tough break!

I have been on a major binge this year and have only had one DOA.

Shane D

HDavidson

Before sending the amplifier to the service, I decided to check the cable focal xlr (focal clear) which was working and worked recently with another amplifier, since then it has been in the box and has not been used. I was 100% sure of it.
I went to the Focal store for the test and .... on the right it is not working. A rare breakdown. Left the cable to them. Focal should replace it.
To be continued..

OdysseyOG

For sp200 owners how does your volume knob feel. Mine is not as buttery smooth as my 789. Almost feels like some resistance I’d say. No grinding sounds or catching or skipping. Just feels less premium I’d say.

Veri

Master Contributor
For sp200 owners how does your volume knob feel. Mine is not as buttery smooth as my 789. Almost feels like some resistance I’d say. No grinding sounds or catching or skipping. Just feels less premium I’d say.
Well it costs a good bit less than $400 after all.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I’m aware but that doesn’t really help me diagnose if I have an issue or not. Thanks.
Different potentiometers are used. I have used quite similar pots. Those looks like Panasonic A10k pots. Those should have less resistance and less smoothness. But some prefer the responsiveness when turning the pot. That's ok.

railcannon

I don't think sp200 provides true Balanced output.
It looks like there are only two amplifier modules.
Also, the power is not doubled while using Balanced output.

Shane D

Forum Donor

I like the feel of mine. It works very smoothly, yet does offer minimal resistance.

Veri

Master Contributor
I don't think sp200 provides true Balanced output.
It looks like there are only two amplifier modules.
Also, the power is not doubled while using Balanced output.
Yep. The XLR is just the single ended output over other connector for convenience only.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
hi, is this amp capable of running sensitive iem such as andromeda?
Electronically yes. Low noise low distortion low output impedance. However there seems to be some channel imbalance issue with the potentiometer. Beware of that, or you can attenuate before the amp then you can run the pot at balance region.

bgsprtm

Electronically yes. Low noise low distortion low output impedance. However there seems to be some channel imbalance issue with the potentiometer. Beware of that, or you can attenuate before the amp then you can run the pot at balance region.

is that some kind of converter or something?

OdysseyOG

Second amp came. Volume knob is less “scratchy” feeling then the first. Also the feeling is even throughout the turn where as the first one felt different as you turned it. I’ll be keeping the second one. For clarity when I say scratchy it’s the sense it gives your fingers there isn’t actually any audible noise. Hope that helps someone.

OdysseyOG

Any other known issues I should check for before calling this one good and moving on?

Top Bottom