• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of SMSL Sanskrit 10th DAC

kuka7

Hi all, first post as I just received this dac after following this thread and wanted to thank everyones input. I am using an appropriate power supply as has been suggested. Running a Pi 3b+ with volumio and after a few minutes of frustration I was finally able to play some DSD tracks without issue. My question, last night I found the display showing d-8 and didn't know what this meant as nothing was playing. Today it displayed d-1 and d-2 while playing dsd. Does anyone know what each d value denotes?

Thanks again

Hi Hamilton, sorry to bother you, could you please share how did you set up volumio to use it with the sanskrit 10th? I have the same set up you have, but i'm having some problems. In the beginning of the configuration, what voice did you choose from the list of all dacs?
THanks for the help, this my firts time using a raspberry and volumio

Marco Pagnini

Buongiorno scusate sono nuovo
Sapete spiegarmi come posso collegare un IPhone all'ingresso ottico del sanskrit 10th?

Hamilton

Hi Hamilton, sorry to bother you, could you please share how did you set up volumio to use it with the sanskrit 10th? I have the same set up you have, but i'm having some problems. In the beginning of the configuration, what voice did you choose from the list of all dacs?
THanks for the help, this my firts time using a raspberry and volumio

Hi Kuka, Do you see SMSL Sanskrit as an option in the Output Device? I have had issues in the past where a dac wasn't recognized without a restart. Try this and report back if successful. Also ensure that I2S DAC is set to off.

kuka7

Hi Kuka, Do you see SMSL Sanskrit as an option in the Output Device? I have had issues in the past where a dac wasn't recognized without a restart. Try this and report back if successful. Also ensure that I2S DAC is set to off.
Hi Hamilton, thanks for your help. I finally find out what my problem was: the usb cable...as soon as i changed it everythig start working fine!

Tonny B

I would also like to know how this thing compares to SMSL sanskrit pro-B. Same chip, but how their implementation compares in terms of sound quality?

chrish001

Hello.

So, what I need to fix the issues is just something like: AmazonBasics 4 Port USB 3.0 Hub with 5V/2.5A power adapter (for example) to power the Sanskrit? That hub doesn't come with the USB cable (I assume most wouldn't). Does the Sanskrit come with one I can use to power from a USB 3.0 hub or do I need to buy one separately? I can't quite see how the Sanskrit is supposed to be powered out of the box - well, OK, I went to the SMSL site and it looks like it's supposed to be powered with three AAA batteries out of the box - I assume that means no USB cable included.

Which means I THINK my only real question is whether that
is an example of what we are talking about using to power the Sanskrit to fix the audio issues. And please correct anything else I may have misstated or seem confused about.

FYI, this is a follow up question to my post here about a DAC for converting digital audio to my stereo.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...osing-a-dac-for-my-smart-tv.7228/#post-165786

Thanks!
Chris

estuardo4

Hello.

So, what I need to fix the issues is just something like: AmazonBasics 4 Port USB 3.0 Hub with 5V/2.5A power adapter (for example) to power the Sanskrit? That hub doesn't come with the USB cable (I assume most wouldn't). Does the Sanskrit come with one I can use to power from a USB 3.0 hub or do I need to buy one separately? I can't quite see how the Sanskrit is supposed to be powered out of the box - well, OK, I went to the SMSL site and it looks like it's supposed to be powered with three AAA batteries out of the box - I assume that means no USB cable included.

Which means I THINK my only real question is whether that
is an example of what we are talking about using to power the Sanskrit to fix the audio issues. And please correct anything else I may have misstated or seem confused about.

FYI, this is a follow up question to my post here about a DAC for converting digital audio to my stereo.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...osing-a-dac-for-my-smart-tv.7228/#post-165786

Thanks!
Chris

Hello.

You don't need a USB Hub to power the Sanskrit 10th. If you are going to use Optical or Coaxial, you don't need extra power. If you are planning on using USB to connect to your computer, then you would need to use a power adapter. A 5V/1A adapter will suffice. The Sanskrit 10th includes a microUSB cable in the box, so you'll need another microUSB cable to connect to the power adapter.

Zek

Major Contributor
If you are going to use Optical or Coaxial, you don't need extra power. If you are planning on using USB to connect to your computer, then you would need to use a power adapter.
You mean vice versa - for coaxial and optical use you need extra power, for USB use you don't need extra power, because USB connection is for data and power.:)

estuardo4

You mean vice versa - for coaxial and optical use you need extra power, for USB use you don't need extra power, because USB connection is for data and power.:)

I shouldn't have written about coaxial and optical because I don't use them and I don't know. But what I do know, and if you read the entire thread, is that you must definitely need to use external USB power to take the USB input to the desired high quality standard. No external USB power equals a substandard DAC using a USB connection.

Zek

Major Contributor
But what I do know, and if you read the entire thread, is that you must definitely need to use external USB power to take the USB input to the desired high quality standard.
It's not universal. Depending on the implementation of the DAC itself, some have an impact while others have no influence.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is confusing but, Amir's tests on this particular model...the Sanskrit 10th shows that to get best performance you should:

1. Connect a standard USB wall wart charger (5V, 1Amp or above is fine) to the Micro USB Plug on the back of the Sanskrit labeled "Aux Power", all of the time, The Sanskrit comes with 1 cable but no charger. These are just typical cell phone chargers. A lot of us already have them lying around.

2. If you are going to use the USB input, connect a 2nd Micro USB cable between the Sanskrit (where it says In1/Power) and your computer. Since the Sanskrit only comes with 1 USB cable, you will need to purchase a 2nd cable to do this.

Zek

Major Contributor
I agree that this is for the best result, but the DAC can work without it.
To use coax and optical inputs, there must be external PSU because the DAC can not work without it.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree that this is for the best result, but the DAC can work without it.
To use coax and optical inputs, there must be external PSU because the DAC can not work without it.

Yes, you are right, but ..the original question asked by Chrish001 was "So, what I need to fix the issues is just something like ", and using a USB charger in the Aux/In all of the time on this model based on Amir's tests will do that.

Chrish001, the Sanskrit never runs on batteries (the remote control does of course). If you are going to use it exclusively for your SmartTV, then if the USB cable it comes with is long enough, all you will need is the charger.

Here is an example of a suitable Amazon Basics Charger.

Last edited:

estuardo4

It's not universal. Depending on the implementation of the DAC itself, some have an impact while others have no influence.

That's why I told you to read the whole thread. In page 2 of this thread is where Amir wrote that SMSL's engineers were helping him to discover why the Sanskrit 10th performed so poor. They discovered that the DAC needed aux power.

KR8NUX

The current SINAD list still has this very low. Can @amirm please update it to reflect latest update with USB power and good SINAD

Dominique-T

Considering the price, and the measures once properly connected to an external power supply, I bough one to compare with my Khadas. For the same price, the SMSL gives mich more: A nice box, 3 select able inputs, adjustable output, a nice display with small accelerometer...
Soundwise, I prefer it to the Khadas. Both are very good and the difference is small, but I find the SMSL more "natural"... This is of course subjective, but pricewise and considering all the features, it is a steal !

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Would running this DAC through a powered usb hub work the same as using a separate power supply to clean up the power problem? Say run 2 usb cables into the DAC from the hub?

Chris1602

Hello
I have an issue when I plug my iPhone in USB. 44 is on screen and no sound. Did you meet this trouble ?

Top Bottom