• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of SMSL Sanskrit 10th DAC

gino1961

I switched my USB cable with the one provided by SMSL into my USB 3.0 port and got this: ...
So lots of variability without external power supply

Hi if i understand well this means that not all usb cables perform the same ? this is very interesting. But also reasonable. I see that a really big market has been established for cables. There must be something of true ... some cables are built with higher specs than other. Anyway the external PS looks like mandatory in order to get higher level performance. Thanks a lot for the very valuable test.

KR8NUX

Hi if i understand well this means that not all usb cables perform the same ? this is very interesting. But also reasonable. I see that a really big market has been established for cables. There must be something of true ... some cables are built with higher specs than other. Anyway the external PS looks like mandatory in order to get higher level performance. Thanks a lot for the very valuable test.

Cables that are well made are identical. And well made = stuff like Amazonbasics or the cable that came with your phone.
There is no 'spec' in digital for USB except for the USB Standards.

gino1961

Cables that are well made are identical.
And well made = stuff like Amazonbasics or the cable that came with your phone. There is no 'spec' in digital for USB except for the USB Standards.
Hi thanks for the valuable advice. So this is a case of not well made cable. I see.

This is wrong. It just means that the snake oil salesmen have created a market for 'audiophile' cables. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illusory_truth_effect
Hi i see However i think that the issue of under specs cables is real and the test above mentioned shows. I would like to see a certification coming with cables. Just to be sure that their performance are in line with standards.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi i see However i think that the issue of under specs cables is real and the test above mentioned shows. I would like to see a certification coming with cables. Just to be sure that their performance are in line with standards.

https://www.usb.org/compliance

If the cable has got a USB logo on it, then it *should be* compliant, it doesn't stop it being, or becoming broken through use.

laudio

I bought one one of these new for $38 on the bay. Will have to wait for slow boat from China to see if it's legit.

TechniBert

I bought one one of these new for $38 on the bay. Will have to wait for slow boat from China to see if it's legit.
wow. hope you get a decent one. suspiciously well priced for a new unit. but if so, that would be a fantasic value for money. even the regular price is, I reckon.
in my case unfortunately most of the time these kind of super bargains turned out having a snug to it. sometimes it is just to good to be true ;) good luck though!

Okiephile

Just wanted to say hello and thanks to all members. Recently purchased a Sony UBP-X800 to play sacds. I discovered no analog out to hook up my Musical Fidelity balanced headphone amp. After reading all decided this might be the unit to try. Remote control volume big plus when listening with headphones. When I’m all up and running I’ll give my non scientific opinion. As a retired Chemist science and math are my thing but my audio science knowledge is small, but I’m a quick learner...thanks again.

Update: received from Amazon hooked up in about 5 minutes. Looks and sounds great. Volume control is great,programmed into my universal remote. Used a fire stick wall wart for power. Was very well packaged from manufacturer. Thanks

Last edited:

zanzibar

Can't go wrong for that price.

However, on further review, it's clear (and very audible) on my system (tube monoblocks) the Schiit Modi 3 performs far better.
It's not just a measurement thing.

So, the Modi 3 goes back in and is staying. In comparison, the Sanskrit is softer, or a duller sound. While both use the same AKM chipset, there's an audible difference. The Sanskrit also has a different mix sound signature. It doesn't have the resolving power of separation of instrumentation. YMMV, but that's what I conclude on my system.

Veri

Master Contributor
However, on further review, it's clear (and very audible) on my system (tube monoblocks) the Schiit Modi 3 performs far better.
In comparison, the Sanskrit is softer, or a duller sound. While both use the same AKM chipset, there's an audible difference.

Couldn't this be attributed to subtle changes in volume? Few DACs output the exact same voltage.

Okiephile

Can't go wrong for that price.

It's not just a measurement thing.

So, the Modi 3 goes back in and is staying. In comparison, the Sanskrit is softer, or a duller sound. While both use the same AKM chipset, there's an audible difference. The Sanskrit also has a different mix sound signature. It doesn't have the resolving power of separation of instrumentation. YMMV, but that's what I conclude on my system.
The Modi 3 was my other choice, but using with headphones the remote won me over even if I lost a little in sound.

Evzen

Hello, I am new and choose my first DAC for PC. You can compare (SMSL Sanskrit 10th SK10 AK4490) and (OPPING D10 ES9018K2M). I'm going to listen to music, only on a computer (hk970 + MB Quart 190), I do not need a remote control. I like that when you turn on the PC, it turns on too, and it does not need to be turned off.

My motherboard has USB-C that's 5V (3A), it needs a USB-B adapter for it, that's not a problem, or I can connect USB-B 3.0 it's 5V (0.9A).

Will I need extra power if I connect SMSL Sanskrit to USB-C or USB-B 3.0?

You can compare the sound quality of SMSL Sanskrit and OPPING D10, I just can not decide, because I do not really understand.

Thank you very much from the Czech Republic

Out of curiosity, does anybody here think you have to burn these things in?? I think I've been noticing the stereo image change markedly over the first few days of using the Sanskrit 10. I suspect the sound quality of improving as well but that is pretty subjective.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Out of curiosity, does anybody here think you have to burn these things in??.

Not so much... haven't seen anything demonstrating that it's valid. Lots of subjective claims, but nothing beyond, 'I hear it too!!" type stuff...

Not so much... haven't seen anything demonstrating that it's valid. Lots of subjective claims, but nothing beyond, 'I hear it too!!" type stuff...
I am a physics major, so my first impulse is to agree with what you've just said, but my listening room has a couple of nodes where, if you stand in that exact spot, the stereo image is displaced. This effect vanished when I first installed the DAC, but then showed up again a couple of days later. Go figure!!

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I am a physics major, so my first impulse is to agree with what you've just said, but my listening room has a couple of nodes where, if you stand in that exact spot, the stereo image is displaced. This effect vanished when I first installed the DAC, but then showed up again a couple of days later. Go figure!!

Well, the ROOM has to burn in...of course...;)
/s

Did you reinstall the 'old' DAC to verify this? Given the nature of room modes, maybe there was something displaced in the room that was out of the ordinary? I wonder if that's the type of thing that open vs closed curtains, or interference from the heater ducts when operating, or...

Certainly not doubting your observation, just looking for the answer that doesn't require faith in mysteries...as you are!

Welcome to the site by the way.

Well, the ROOM has to burn in...of course...;)
/s

Did you reinstall the 'old' DAC to verify this? Given the nature of room modes, maybe there was something displaced in the room that was out of the ordinary? I wonder if that's the type of thing that open vs closed curtains, or interference from the heater ducts when operating, or...

Certainly not doubting your observation, just looking for the answer that doesn't require faith in mysteries...as you are!

Welcome to the site by the way.

Thank you for the thoughts.
None of the above, I'm afraid!
I was very much of your opinion in these matters, but having had this experience, I don't think I would pass an opinion on a DAC without letting it sit powered on for a couple of days, particularly if new.
In addition, I wonder if different devices don't teach you (if you are teachable!) to listen in different ways.
In any event, the Sanskrit 10th is the DAC that taught me to appreciate baroque harpsicord!
A bargin at twice the price.

Top Bottom