• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of SMSL AD18 DAC & Amp

BillG

Major Contributor
What I don't understand is the amount of golden reviews it received.

That's because subjectively it probably sounds just fine to most people who use it. And as an inexpensive amp for someone who just wants to enjoy their music casually, it fulfills that role. I really don't think anyone is expecting top notch performance at its price point.

SMSL does manufacture better amps, utilizing the rather highly regarded ICEpower modules, but those start at $250USD and continue up to $600USD:

https://www.shenzhenaudio.com/smsl-...high-performance-digital-power-amplifier.html

https://www.shenzhenaudio.com/smsl-...gital-decoder-hifi-audio-power-amplifier.html

https://www.shenzhenaudio.com/smsl-...-amplifier-audio-digital-power-amplifier.html

Jimster480

Major Contributor
WOW this is horrible performance... SMSL devices really haven't delivered outside of a few "flagship" products.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir,
Could you test the speakers line out with the optical (Toslink) input, for example after a Topping D10 used as USB to optical converter?

decoRyder

Thank you for testing this device. I always suspected these amps were completely overrated, and now we have the numbers to back up that suspicion.

Last edited:

SmackDaddies

Thank you for testing this device. I always suspected these amps were completely overrated, and now we have to numbers to back up that suspicion.
As a listener, I would say they are what they say they are - and what Amir posits as their use. If your looking for an inexpensive upgrade to soundbar situation, its probably ok. Pair it with some inexpensive speakers, it is a big upgrade. If your spending more money, then your buying the AVR and going 5.1, 7.2, etc

Edit - I don't own this one, but I do one the Q5 Pro - which I use in the kitchen hooked up to and echo or tablet and Micca's. It is perfect for the use, and sounds fine. I don't have it connected to my Jamo's and MartinLogans. Different purpose/use

Last edited:

SmackDaddies

I won't look at my AD18 the same way now.
I sounds good enough on speakers in a small room though.

What I don't understand is the amount of golden reviews it received.

But the frequency response graph looks terrible!!!!

Because it is fine for your use.

decoRyder

As a listener, I would say they are what they say they are - and what Amir posits as their use. If your looking for an inexpensive upgrade to soundbar situation, its probably ok. Pair it with some inexpensive speakers, it is a big upgrade. If your spending more money, then your buying the AVR and going 5.1, 7.2, etc

Edit - I don't own this one, but I do one the Q5 Pro - which I use in the kitchen hooked up to and echo or tablet and Micca's. It is perfect for the use, and sounds fine. I don't have it connected to my Jamo's and MartinLogans. Different purpose/use

Sure, the SMSL AD 18 has a use-case, and it's very versatile - that's definitely a big plus. But, I've seen several reviews that specifically praise this amp's sound quality, and in reality it falls short of the glowing reviews I've seen on that subject.

decoRyder

Yes but note that for the moment Amir only tested the Aux --> Speaker line out. Perhaps the Aux is really bad, but not the amp when used with digital in (optical for instance), which is probably what people use the most.
In devices like this one, the Aux input is there as a complement, but not the main purpose of such a product.

I think he tested USB in -> Speaker out, which is what most people would be using - correct me if I'm wrong:

SMSL AD18 DAC Headphone and Speaker Amplifier Audio Measurements.png

decoRyder

Yes, you are right. I made a mistake an deleted my comment.

Still interested by a test with optical in though.

Hopefully better. And to be sure: I think it's still a good, versatile device - but it's one of those devices that once again shows true the old saying: "Don't believe the Hype":)

Here's an example of one of those glowing reviews, of which there are many:
https://www.headfonia.com/review-smsl-ad18/

SmackDaddies

Sure, the SMSL AD 18 has a use-case, and it's very versatile - that's definitely a big plus. But, I've seen several reviews that specifically praise this amp's sound quality, and in reality it falls short of the glowing reviews I've seen on that subject.
It does not test well, nor is it's headphone output very good, but does it actually sound bad when used with speakers? I put forth it sounds fine as a speaker amp for it's intended purpose. Which is usually optical from a tv

SmackDaddies

Hopefully better. And to be sure: I think it's still a good, versatile device - but it's one of those devices that once again shows true the old saying: "Don't believe the Hype":)

Here's an example of one of those glowing reviews, of which there are many:
https://www.headfonia.com/review-smsl-ad18/
He points out a number of faults, including the optical input is better than the usb. And he says the speaker output is far better than the headphone

Conclusion
Let’s wrap things up, is the SMSL AD18 a good amp ? Yes.
Is it a magical wonder, price wise ? Yes.
Should you get one for your desktop ? Yes… if you want to use speakers AND headphones. Although it’s pretty awesome as a DAC/Amplifier for speakers, if your primary use is headphones, you can get better sounding devices at a similar price.

decoRyder

He points out a number of faults, including the optical input is better than the usb. And he says the speaker output is far better than the headphone

Conclusion
Should you get one for your desktop ? Yes… if you want to use speakers AND headphones. Although it’s pretty awesome as a DAC/Amplifier for speakers, if your primary use is headphones, you can get better sounding devices at a similar price.

I agree, with a caveat: The 1.1 DB channel mismatch - that's an issue, and QC/build quality problems such as that one are a re-occuring theme I've seen with many SMSL devices.

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thx for review, Amir! I heard so much praise for this device. I thought they solved all the issues for this class. Apparently not. Oh well. AVR manufacturers took their cake for now.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't understand: the channel mismatch is at full volume or at all volumes?
I have a SMSL 18 and didn't notice any mismatch, though once I had a 1dB difference between both channels after a bad manipulation in RePhase and almost immediately heard it.

Demes

Conclusion

Wouldn't you rather get the MX3 though? It's cheaper and it tested better.

Proud SMSL AD18 here.

i've been using this unit for almost 6 months on a pair of kanto yumi as my living room setup with TV, PC and PS4 hooked on optical.
when you look at this product you should be wary that is not an audiophile targeted amplifier. it is clearly a multimedial setup/living room oriented model, aside from other integrated models such as the sa-50 or the icepower ones.
i was quite disappointed on the measurements too, but you must realize that the quality of this model is on the complete package of functions and inputs. i can easily manage 3 sources within a single amplifier, make it 4 if you consider bluetooth, and the DAC specs are just fine with movies or gaming. It has plenty of power for speakers, i never used a volume level above 20-25% and i usually stay at 10-15%.

i also made a quick comparison with my old Topping PA3 and the smsl was clearly more silent with no inputs. Sound wise the topping was slightly better but it was also connected to a better DAC, but in the end i would never use the AD18 as a listening setup, that's why i have my allo+double.
Plus SMSL has a problem on constancy of QA, some products are well made, others fail in few months. maybe with some luck you can grab something with better results

Top Bottom