• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of SMSL AD18 DAC & Amp

dorirod

I was playing around with REW in my living room, and decided to take some measurements of the various EQ Options. The AD18 is connected to KEF Q100 speakers. Volume was set to 30 on the AD18.

These are obviously specific to my situation, but they'll give you an idea of what the different EQ options of the AD18 do.
EQOFF_RAP.png
EQOFF_JAZZ_COUNTRY.png
EQOFF_H-ROCK_L-ROCK.png
EQOFF_SDB_S-BASS.png

GasPRO

Hello, happy easter to everyone. I've been lurking for some weeks now.
I own this amp, and also I would like to see some test on the optical/coax in, which should be better according to the path of data.
To me (and all other owners, which I think there are many given the price and specs) it would be really useful to understand the best way to use it and if it is any good in the end....

For my precise situation I have a couple of indiana line tesi 560, thats not expensive speakers but I like em, and an hifiberry dac+ on rpi2 as a source.
Just wondering if i should change the hifiberry dac with an allo digione and go full digital with ad18 or keep the money in my pocket.
I listen to flac but also amazon music standard, so I was also interested in the amazon link amp.

Thanks in any case for the great work you're doing here, and everyone for any advice.

Carlo.

Last edited:

GasPRO

Thanks for the response, I've read that message and the follow up, and I believe the user @bluesky could have some points with his answer:

2.Speaker amplifier
USB-TAS1020B-CS8422-TAS5342A-TAS5508C-Output
=> same as coaxial/optical but with extra TAS1020B step
AUX-CS5341-CS8422-TAS5342A-TAS5508C-Output => extra ADC CS5341 involved
Coaxial/Optical-CS8422-TAS5342A-TAS5508C-Output => this is the best and shortest "pure digital path" we have.

I understand the general point, this is not a good amp overall, because headphone amp is no good, usb input no good, analog input requires extra ADC.
Still, would like to know if coaxial path would be any good, i'm curious but understand that probably there is more interesting gear to review "on queue".

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the response, I've read that message and the follow up, and I believe the user @bluesky could have some points with his answer:

2.Speaker amplifier
USB-TAS1020B-CS8422-TAS5342A-TAS5508C-Output
=> same as coaxial/optical but with extra TAS1020B step
AUX-CS5341-CS8422-TAS5342A-TAS5508C-Output => extra ADC CS5341 involved
Coaxial/Optical-CS8422-TAS5342A-TAS5508C-Output => this is the best and shortest "pure digital path" we have.

I understand the general point, this is not a good amp overall, because headphone amp is no good, usb input no good, analog input requires extra ADC.
Still, would like to know if coaxial path would be any good, i'm curious but understand that probably there is more interesting gear to review "on queue".
I have it, I use it almost daily to watch movies, I've used it via optical and now via USB.
I "think" it is better via optical but didn't really try to ABX to see if I can be sure to hear a difference.

SOUNDSONIC

The AD18 is far much better than my laptop's internal DAC, and earphone amplifier. Huge improvement in sound quality. I believe this is what this unit was designed for. Versatility and convenience. Only 1 plug to connect to power CO. Ideal for minimalist people specially in office desk jobs.

And yes, I agree. This is not perfect for audiophiles. But one don't need to be an audiophile to appreciate good music or good quality sound in this regard....

the

NgtFlyer

The AD18 is far much better than my laptop's internal DAC, and earphone amplifier. Huge improvement in sound quality. I believe this is what this unit was designed for. Versatility and convenience. Only 1 plug to connect to power CO. Ideal for minimalist people specially in office desk jobs.

And yes, I agree. This is not perfect for audiophiles. But one don't need to be an audiophile to appreciate good music or good quality sound in this regard....
I think this is a great summary of what the AD18 is for. Not necessarily for high-end audiophile listening, but as a desktop/bedroom/casual listening device, it's quite good.

Kitchen

Could anyone with this amp tell me if you have a sub connected does it make a large popping sound when you turn this thing off? I have a Topping MX3 that I am returning because it bottoms out the sub whenever I turn it off.

dorirod

Could anyone with this amp tell me if you have a sub connected does it make a large popping sound when you turn this thing off? I have a Topping MX3 that I am returning because it bottoms out the sub whenever I turn it off.
I have this one, but I don't have a sub connected. However, if I didn't have it, I wouldn't be looking at it but rather the Loxjie A30 which measures better (though not enough better for me to consider replacing the AD18).

kurtmagn

I think you may be missing the point with the measurements.
This is an FDA.
If you input a digital signal it does a good job for a low price

On the other hand, if you give it an analog signal, it will have to convert it to digital and I agree that the ADC is mediocre
Also, the headphone amplifier is known to be rather bad

Would be happy to see similar measurements but with digital signals

Paulmac

Hmmm, I had one of these amps for a year until I sold it. I liked it initially. But I sold it because dialogue on movies wasnt what I hoped. Very fast amp, quite punchy. When my musician brother came to stay on holidays he brought one of his electric guitars and he plugged into the smsl via an adapter. He was amazed with it. He said it was like being a studio. The main thing he said was that with most amps, there is a delay between playing the guitar (plucking the string or whatever you call it - Im no muso) and he said not so with the smsl - no delay at all. I guess there is a big difference between recorded sound and playing an instrument through an amp. But he found a great amp to play guitar through. (I had misson speakers at the time, little Mx1s I think they were). Of course musicians like putting distortion into their stuff. If it is an original sound, it sounds like it sounds cause thats how the musco plays and how the amp reproduces the muscian. I dont know. Dont burn it. Giver it to a guitarist.

Et pourtant il sonne fort bien... Eternel décalage entre les mesures objectives et le rendu subjectif. L'oscilloscope c'est bien, l'écoute demeure le principal. Si on a les deux c'est parfait.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Et pourtant il sonne fort bien... Eternel décalage entre les mesures objectives et le rendu subjectif. L'oscilloscope c'est bien, l'écoute demeure le principal. Si on a les deux c'est parfait.
Yes, bad-measuring devices can sound good if they are not pushed too hard sometimes.
It is not a "décalage", it is because our ears are less precise than measuring tools.

Can someone please tell me what type of display is used on the Ad18 as my display got burnt in a fire. I know it's a 1.44" TFT screen, but m not sure if it comes with pins or a ribbon cable etc. I even contacted Kelly from SMSL but she does not bother about answering emails as I've mailed her a dozen times.
Any info about the type of display, even an alternate one would do ,so that atleast i can get it up and running. Will find a audio tech guy to have it installed for me, have to replace the banana sockets too as they melted and are stuck now. Even the power socket pin needs to be changed. Hopefully the other internals should be fine .

Attachments

• 16659022253424629149236215349388.jpg
    16659022253424629149236215349388.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 16659022854491541628740338164704.jpg
    16659022854491541628740338164704.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 89
Brothers, really it would be a great help if you could help me out with some info about the display n how it's attached, This is a shout out to the techies who are well versed in audio electronics as I need ur guidance. Also is there any other way to power this device or do I have to buy another adapter of the same spec to power it up?
Any input from you'll is highly appreciated.Thabjs again.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hopefully the other internals should be fine
I wouldn't bet on it. Open it up and take a look.
Unless you value your time at zero a replacement unit would be the best bet IMO. I am pretty sure a spare screen won't be easily available even though connectors will be easy to get.

Thanks ...you surely make a point, however I was just checking in case there was a possibility to have it restored back instead of just dumping it. There are a lot of 1.44" TFT LCD displays in AliExpress etc, but I wasn't sure which one might fit in this case. M sure veterans would know just by looking at the display that this might fit right.( It's my guess) .
Even a workaround would do ( like a nokia 6610 display etc, just not sure how it would be integrated though.) May be the electronic guys could give me few ideas / options.
Thanks again for ur reply, was really kind of you to do so. Have a great day.cheers.

I wouldn't bet on it. Open it up and take a look.
Unless you value your time at zero a replacement unit would be the best bet IMO. I am pretty sure a spare screen won't be easily available even though connectors will be easy to get.
Also,would you happen to know what kind of potentiometer is used in the Ad18 ? Example- Linear pot, dual pot etc , or does it use a Digital attenuator ( not sure what this is ), M really confused .

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Also,would you happen to know what kind of potentiometer is used in the Ad18 ? Example- Linear pot, dual pot etc , or does it use a Digital attenuator ( not sure what this is ), M really confused .
Most people don't know each component In a specific piece of hardware unless they open it up regularly... Even of the audio devices I've opened it I don't know which component part numbers are in there from what supplier for most of the parts.
Maybe some others will have info but this has already been out a while.

Most people don't know each component In a specific piece of hardware unless they open it up regularly... Even of the audio devices I've opened it I don't know which component part numbers are in there from what supplier for most of the parts.
Maybe some others will have info but this has already been out a while.
U bet...totally agree with you about not knowing each component or part number. My question was generic as to asking for info on what might work / fit the amp so that I could have it running.
Like people seriously into the hobby would atleast be aware of general things like - what volume pot is used in this amp( the name / type - as it's not the general one), which we use to up n down volume as it also has a de- press option to select stuff.

Enthusiasts would have done so much R& D with gear that they would know what alternate display might fit etc.
Thanks so much for taking time out,really appreciated.

Top Bottom