• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of SMSL AD18 DAC & Amp

Absolutely. That's why I kept the SMSL AD18, after having returned a FX-Audio D802C Pro and an Alientek D8.
and also that's the reason why i chose the AD18 instead of the topping mx3.
the MX3 uses the same amplifier chip as the PA3 with the same gain which gives a pretty loud hiss, noticeable even at 1 meter from the speakers, plus the mx3 only has 1 optical in when the smsl has 2

Harlenc

Forum Donor

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amazing how high the expectations have gotten for cheap products like this! Amir, what have you done??!! :eek:

I own this thing and I think its a bloody good unit. So many inputs, a remote control, amp + DAC. All at a very low price. And the unit is so tiny. I bought this for the den where my wife watches TV. Its hooked up to a pair of floorstanding speakers. Optical input from TV. It has enough power for and works just fine for this purpose.

Yeah, the measurements make this look like crap, but if you are considering this for your main system, the expectations should be low.

Amazing how high the expectations have gotten for cheap products like this! Amir, what have you done??!! :eek:

I own this thing and I think its a bloody good unit. So many inputs, a remote control, amp + DAC. All at a very low price. And the unit is so tiny. I bought this for the den where my wife watches TV. Its hooked up to a pair of floorstanding speakers. Optical input from TV. It has enough power for and works just fine for this purpose.

Yeah, the measurements make this look like crap, but if you are considering this for your main system, the expectations should be low.
on top of that it seems that even audiophile tier amplifiers have sub-par measurements that give a clear disappointment.
ok that on headphone side we have really nice units with great internal design, but we have yet to see a "reference" for cheap budget amplifiers, so until that we must take all the graphs with a grain of salt, and judge these products accordingly.

plus i often see hardcore audiophiles that try cheapo chi-fi boards just for fun and end putting them on their main setup, setting aside units that costs thousands of bucks

JohnBooty

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
and also that's the reason why i chose the AD18 instead of the topping mx3.
the MX3 uses the same amplifier chip as the PA3 with the same gain which gives a pretty loud hiss, noticeable even at 1 meter from the speakers, plus the mx3 only has 1 optical in when the smsl has 2
Wow, that's surprising to read about the PA3.

I've got two of them (and my brother in law has one) and I've never noticed a hiss. I just put my ear right up to the tweeter and put the volume to 100%.

Are we talking a very, very high frequency hiss? My hearing's not great above 10khz and I definitely can't hear "mosquito tones" of 17khz at all. Are you hearing something in that range?

I'm curious if this is common to all PA3s or if perhaps there's something going on with your particular unit.

Gyroscopics

plus i often see hardcore audiophiles that try cheapo chi-fi boards just for fun and end putting them on their main setup, setting aside units that costs thousands of bucks

Guilty. I use a $31.99 FX-Audio tube buffer between my BlueSound Node2 and Parasound Halo Integrated which drives B&W 705s2 + twin Rhytmik Audio L22 subs. Well, at least I replaced the OEM tubes with a matched GE JAN 5654W $29/pair :) True, I initially introduced the chi-fi tube buffer in the chain for fun but I think I'm gonna leave it there...

Wow, that's surprising to read about the PA3.

I've got two of them (and my brother in law has one) and I've never noticed a hiss. I just put my ear right up to the tweeter and put the volume to 100%.

Are we talking a very, very high frequency hiss? My hearing's not great above 10khz and I definitely can't hear "mosquito tones" of 17khz at all. Are you hearing something in that range?

I'm curious if this is common to all PA3s or if perhaps there's something going on with your particular unit.
After trying everything to remove, or at least reduce, this issue i spoke to my seller and it said that he found the same problem on a brand new unit, so i think it's just something that has to do with the model itself.
It is simple white noise, the one you have when you have your amplifier on with no source feeding it. While it may be nothing for most users, to me it was quite annoying using it on a desktop setup. If you have it on a bigger stage or room you probably won't even notice it.

madmax2069

so this is the older version 1 of the AD18 being it lacks the sub output.

i have to wonder if anything has changed internally on the newer version with the sub output (version shows 3.1 when you boot it up).

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
so this is the older version 1 of the AD18 being it lacks the sub output.
It does have a subwoofer output. It is the combo 3.5 mm jack labeled "SW."

madmax2069

It does have a subwoofer output. It is the combo 3.5 mm jack labeled "SW."
whoops, my mistake. need to get my eyes checked. totally didn't even see it, even looked at the photo.

oh, BTW did you check to see if anything outputs at volume lvl 1 ?

Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
1.1 dB difference between channels!
Yes. Unusual to have electronics this bad, apart from at the extremes of the volume control setting, where it is common. That is why hifi has had a balance control for the last 60 years+ until recently. Your speakers and headphones will almost certainly be worse than this.

bluesky

It is a great measurement, but AD18 is a "full digital amplifier". Maybe you should measure Coax/Optical in&Speaker out and don't forget to turn off EQ. I am looking forward the measuremnts of FX-Audio D802C!

Last edited:

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FX-Audio D802 was reported to be much worse via USB than via optical, after a USB --> optical converter like RME Digiface.

Some products clearly announce different specs (Crosstalk, THD, frequency response...) for their optical, coaxial and USB input.
Usually, USB is worse (due to "poor implementation"?).

See for example NAD D1050 specs:

D1050.png

Last edited:

bluesky

Why would that be different than USB?
Maybe you didn't study the circuit diagram of the amplifier. In my opinion, it is a bad headphone amplifier and DAC, because it uses
MAX97220A and TAS1020B&VT1620A and they are low-quality and sound bad. According to your measurement, it isn't Asynchronous USB audio interface with pretty bad jitter. The headphone amplifier is independent as follows

1.Headphone amplifier
USB-TAS1020B-CS8422-VT1620A-MAX97220A-Output
AUX-CS5341-CS8422-VT1620A-MAX97220A-Output-Output
Coaxial/Optical-CS8422-VT1620A-MAX97220A-Output

2.Speaker amplifier
USB-TAS1020B-CS8422-TAS5342A-TAS5508C-Output
AUX-CS5341-CS8422-TAS5342A-TAS5508C-Output
Coaxial/Optical-CS8422-TAS5342A-TAS5508C-Output

Coaxial/Optical-CS8422-TAS5342A-TAS5508C-Output , It is full digital, so maybe you should measure AD18 in this way with better coaxial sigal.

Last edited:

bluesky

FX-Audio D802 was reported to be much worse via USB than via optical, after a USB --> optical converter like RME Digiface.

Some products clearly announce different specs (Crosstalk, THD, frequency response...) for their optical, coaxial and USB input.
Usually, USB is worse (due to "poor implementation"?).

See for example NAD D1050 specs:

View attachment 25301
Yes , I agree

Top Bottom