• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Singxer SU-1 USB to S/PDIF

Nango

Major Contributor
Couple of people here in Europe who claim "having tweaked" the SU-1 using silver cabling and other mods, reaching extremly well results (their own wording!!!) ........ for NOTHING!!!!!!!! And now?? Refund the monies youuuuuuuuu.........

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
Couple of people here in Europe who claim "having tweaked" the SU-1 using silver cabling and other mods, reaching extremly well results (their own wording!!!) ........ for NOTHING!!!!!!!! And now??
They can always send their silver singxer in for verification ;)

Nango

Major Contributor
Seriously, I've been twice very very close to pay the US-$ 800 surcharge they asked for the moddings and luckily did not. @amirm you really deserve a Nobel Prize or similar for all that demasking you are doing!!!!

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Couple of people here in Europe who claim "having tweaked" the SU-1 using silver cabling and other mods, reaching extremly well results (their own wording!!!) ........ for NOTHING!!!!!!!! And now??

Silver wires are great for strangling werewolves.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Silver wires are great for strangling werewolves.
Am I correct in beliving their only benefit is better conductivity than copper, but the added costs compared to simply getting larger gauge copper overrules such benefit? I believe that’s what Audioholics state.

I find it so silly when gear and speaker manufacturers offer internal silver wiring as an upgrade.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Couple of people here in Europe who claim "having tweaked" the SU-1 using silver cabling and other mods, reaching extremly well results (their own wording!!!) ........ for NOTHING!!!!!!!! And now?? Refund the monies youuuuuuuuu.........
The only wires from what I recall were for the power supply. the connectors were PCB mounted so not sure what they are doing with wires. Here is a picture I just found:

TB2bQWrgsjI8KJjSsppXXXbyVXa_!!42027374.jpg

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Am I correct in beliving their only benefit is better conductivity than copper, but the added costs compared to simply getting larger gauge copper overrules such benefit? I believe that’s what Audioholics state.

I find it so silly when gear and speaker manufacturers offer internal silver wiring as an upgrade.

Silver is marginally more conductive. Not so much as to actually matter.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Seriously, I've been twice very very close to pay the US-$ 800 surcharge they asked for the moddings and luckily did not. @amirm you really deserve a Nobel Prize or similar for all that demasking you are doing!!!!

???
If and when you buy a mod for whatever machine, you have to ask the list of parts and upgrades involved with it.
After modding, the machine is returned to you along with the original parts that have been replaced by the upgrade.
Manufacturers can cheat you as we see in too many reviews in this forum :facepalm:, getting cheated by people offering upgrades is much more unusual, provided you know a bit abt. what you are going to buy, IMHO ... :rolleyes:
In this specific case you mentioned, the first alarm bell is : $/€ 800 mod on a unit worths $/€ 400 ? Of course it is a rip off ... even if you do not know anything abt. what you are going to buy as upgrade ...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Wondering if or how much would it help with DAC's that performing badly in their USB inputs though ?
For $250 you can get a D50 or a bit more for a DX3 Pro and it will perform better than any DAC that cannot perform with a USB input :)

maxxevv

Major Contributor
For $400 you could get a good DAC. :)

For $250 you can get a D50 or a bit more for a DX3 Pro and it will perform better than any DAC that cannot perform with a USB input :)

Obviously! And I agree.

There are however the people in the crowd who paid a good $3000 or more for a fancy badged DAC device from maybe 5~8 years ago with really poorly implemented USB/ digital interfaces. And can't sit well with a "stack" that doesn't aesthetically compliment each other. And then spend on $1000 worth of cables just for that "improvement".

That's what this device was designed for isn't it ? :p:D

Veri

Master Contributor

Silver = treble mmkay
Ok ok they do a bit more than just recabling the unit but anyway it is all about algorithms in digital audio ......

https://www.magnahifi.com/en/per-category/product/modification-su1-sotmsclk-ex2mc
that sure is an insane mod lol

Nango

Major Contributor

I cant tell the reason why I am soooooo reluctant to buying a Topping despite being truly and fully convinced of its merits. Might be that they started like others with very cheap devices like NX-1 etc and the same you can build up a brand name of remarkabely value by marketing activities one can ruin a brand name for life by starting building such cheap devices so no one will give them later a credit. Strange ....................

JustIntonation

@amirm was the SU-1 tested with the Singxer ASIO driver or ASIO4ALL? Latest driver version is 4.59
And do you know the firmware of the SU-1? There has been an update a while ago. Latest version is 2.22
It seems to me in the world of USB converters these things can matter?
Spec wise the SU-1 seems to have quality parts / clocks, I'm surprised it doesn't score better.
Drivers and firmware update can be downloaded here: https://download.shenzhenaudio.com/Singxer/

Top Bottom