• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Schiit Yggdrasil V2 DAC

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So now we are going to say the Yggy had a louder level? If anything the RME with its 6V output is more likely to have had a louder level.
RME has both adjustable settings and a big volume control in the front for making variable changes. That may not be at issue here but we need 100% proper documentation of it. I do so many AB tests these days and it is remarkable how little volume differential it takes to produce false results.

Reactions: rmo

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
So now we are going to say the Yggy had a louder level?

Possible. More likely is that there was a lot of knob twiddling and no rigorous switching and double blinding.

topazzo

Armirm@
distortions...I want to assure you of my deepest sympathy, but we don't hear anything like that. Your golden ears seem to be flying with your measurement.

"1. Levels must be measured and matched. This will easily change the votes. Using level differential I can make any DAC regardless of cost/performance "sound better" than others."

levels were matched off course.

"The problem with audiophiles is that they always give themselves a grade of A in hearing differences. "
We are no audiophiles...please read again!

"2. You need to run enough tests to make sure these are not lucky guesses."???
And you mr, you need alone to test different DACS with one headphone to judge? come on..

You act like a shot chicken.

Its about sound.

topazzo

"Well, let's hear how that was done."

Let's be part of your tests. alone alone alone....hihi

rmo

If I puff on a joint right now, is the same song I just listened to gonna sound better?

I have found humidity levels in my house , which change rapidly where I live , to make a big difference in audio quality.

Lower humidity= Better.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The RME DAC has always been certified to have an extreme resolution in the stereo spectrum. In the lowend a precise reproduction was recognized. However, the RME DAC was never able to create any depth gradation, nor were the instruments assigned clear spaces.
Voices were always classified as cold, as thin, as annoying in the " Desser " range.
Voices were absent from all test persons, the naturalness like physicality and warmth.
As you know (or should know), RME gear is exceptionally popular in Pro world. What do you reckon is wrong with their ears that is not by yours?

Surely they, the talent and musicians are not approving content that sounds "cold, thin or annoying." How do you explain that?

topazzo

Amirm@
"RME has both adjustable settings and a big volume control in the front for making variable changes. That may not be at issue here but we need 100% proper documentation of it. I do so many AB tests these days and it is remarkable how little volume differential it takes to produce false results."

you, you, you.....
kicks it finally...its all about you...
we are 8 persons with respectable backgrounds...with proper blind test...
you are offering some measurements and your personal subjective listening experience via headphone
with no objective measured listening booth....you never offered us your listening experience (all alone)
its ridiculous...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If I puff on a joint right now, is the same song I just listened to gonna sound better?
Even without said joint it can sound different. :)

Here is an experiment to show that.

Make a copy of a digital file. Play the first copy and then when playing the second one, focus on what detail there is in it, how much air, how live, etc. I guarantee you will hear more of all of that even though nothing has absolutely changed! Here is the kicker, with full knowledge of this, you can listen back to the original file and hear it as "cold, not detailed, etc." Or not. Keep playing the two files back and forth and fidelity differences will be there.

The hearing system is very lossy and the brain constantly adjusts how much it captures. By focusing on music, as people do in tests, you all of a sudden hear detail that has always been there. By not realizing this, people attribute the differences to gear when in reality the thing that has changed, is the person's state of mind, not the sound waves hitting their ears.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
you, you, you.....
kicks it finally...its all about you...
we are 8 persons with respectable backgrounds...with proper blind test...
Nope. Nothing that is described so far makes it "proper." All you have said the test was blind but nothing indicates you know what that means in this context.

Are you going to take Ethan's generational loss test? It only involves your ears. No measurements.

rmo

Even without said joint it can sound different. :)

Here is an experiment to show that.

Make a copy of a digital file. Play the first copy and then when playing the second one, focus on what detail there is in it, how much air, how live, etc. I guarantee you will hear more of all of that even though nothing has absolutely changed! Here is the kicker, with full knowledge of this, you can listen back to the original file and hear it as "cold, not detailed, etc." Or not. Keep playing the two files back and forth and fidelity differences will be there.

The hearing system is very lossy and the brain constantly adjusts how much it captures. By focusing on music, as people do in tests, you all of a sudden hear detail that has always been there. By not realizing this, people attribute the differences to gear when in reality the thing that has changed, is the person's state of mind, not the sound waves hitting their ears.
Well said and completely true.

topazzo

Armirm@
"As you know (or should know), RME gear is exceptionally popular in Pro world. What do you reckon is wrong with their ears that is not by yours?
Surely they, the talent and musicians are not approving content that sounds "cold, thin or annoying." How do you explain that?"

its easy with rme: rme offers for years the best drivers in recording field for the "money". that is the reason for rme's popularity.
when we are talking about SQ in the recording industry we are talking about lynx, Moto, universal audio...they are all about sound.
that's easy

topazzo

Amirm@
"Nope. Nothing that is described so far makes it "proper." All you have said the test was blind but nothing indicates you know what that means in this context."

blah, blah

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
How was level matching performed?
How was the "blind" set up when you ran the test? Did you switch inputs on a preamp behind a screen or what?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
How was the "blind" set up when you ran the test? Did you switch inputs on a preamp behind a screen or what?

The screen thing is a perfect scenario for Clever Hans. :cool:

I think we’ve established that no actual controls were done here.

topazzo

REW, Reaper, Logic......etc assuming a microphone such as at least one Beyerdynamic mm1 with a calibration file

garbulky

Major Contributor
So now it's level matched but people are still not buying it?

Top Bottom