• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Schiit Yggdrasil V2 DAC

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
When different folks having measurements get different results, then one is lead to believe something is amiss. Scale-tipping?

I thought you weren't able to distinguish measurements from opining?

This is all very confusing. o_O

celander

I’m fine with where I am at in this discussion. Thanks for contributing.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When different folks having measurements get different results, then one is lead to believe something is amiss. Scale-tipping?

The nice thing about measurements is, if you don't believe them, you can check them yourself. You don't need a $30K AP to do it. I've done this plenty of times. By the way, where are these different results that you speak of?

celander

Well, the realm of DAC measurements do lie outside of this site, such as over at Head-fi.

Yuno

Well, the realm of DAC measurements do lie outside of this site, such as over at Head-fi.
Over at Head-fi, un-biased website sponsored by Schiit.
Nice thing about Amir measurements is they are standardized across all gear he reviews. This gives you good idea on how one device compares to another, this is not the case on head-fi.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Yes, and that’s another nice thing about measurements: they are repeatable, and anyone can do them. And if done properly, they will produce similar results. No such luck with subjective reviews.

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yes, and that’s another nice thing about measurements: they are repeatable, and anyone can do them. And if done properly, they will produce similar results. No such luck with subjective reviews.

Not entirely,,,
Where the manufacturer is a sponsor, subjective reviews are remarkably repeatable.

gvl

Major Contributor
I really don't want to comb through this thread again, but my impression was the bulk of the issues discussed here were about the truncation of 24 bit signal to 20 w/no dither. Unfortunately I don't think I saw how the DAC performed when fed signal externally dithered to 20 bit which would have been interesting as it would show how hardware is performing vs. software/DSP issues.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
They didn't get different results. I have shown identical problems with the other people's measurements. Explained all here as was responded to you: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ts-of-schiit-yggdrasil-dac-inconsistent.3812/

From that thread:

index.php

Notice how hard his graphs are to read. As a result, no one bothers and just read the complete opposite commentary that basically says, "well done schiit!" So you have the right argument but for the wrong person.

Really, you are a year behind on this back and forth. It was all settled and we have moved on. I have tested over 120 DACs since then with the same settings. Many, many products have been tested with manufactures and designers agreeing with them.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
You are kidding, right? There are hardly any objective measurements of DACs at head-fi. I do more reviews in a week than they do the entire year or the lifetime of head-fi.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Making and reading measurements is a skill and art. Most people are not capable of understanding and even many engineers can be mislead to something false/inaccurate. And we are always learning and progressing in measurements too.

agtp

I’ve read other posts/reviews by Amirm. There seems to be a bias in his reviews of Schiit products generally. Calling design aesthetics “bland” is just one point.

If Amirm’s reviews are laced with negative, bias-leaning statements, then what’s the point going to the measurements?

Here are a few points to consider:

We know that Amir is an industry figure (i.e., audio dealer and audio forum owner)
We know that Bob Stuart/MQA has personally contacted industry figures/influencers with requests to promote and endorse MQA
We know that Amir is pro-MQA and an admirer of Bob Stuart
We know that industry affiliates/reviewers actively attack and critique anti-MQA manufacturers/individuals
We know that Schitt Audio have been very critical and outspoken against MQA

We also see bias. For example, why such a heavy focus on analyzing gear of certain manufacturers while others get a pass? When are we ever going to see measurements and review of Mark Levinson gear? And how about a review summary regarding price/performance of ML gear? That’s what this site is all about, is it not? Amir is a dealer and owner of ML gear, so any piece should be readily available, yet not a single review to date.

I look forward to the measurements and critique of those high-priced ML amps of yours, Amir.:)

HuskerDu

Here are a few points to consider:

We know that Amir is an industry figure (i.e., audio dealer and audio forum owner)
We know that Bob Stuart/MQA has personally contacted industry figures/influencers with requests to promote and endorse MQA
We know that industry affiliates/reviewers actively attack and critique anti-MQA manufacturers/individuals
We know that Schitt Audio have been very critical and outspoken against MQA

We also see bias. For example, why such a heavy focus on analyzing gear of certain manufacturers while others get a pass? When are we ever going to see measurements and review of Mark Levinson gear? And how about a review summary regarding price/performance of ML gear? That’s what this site is all about, is it not? Amir is a dealer and owner of ML gear, so any piece should be readily available, yet not a single review to date.

I look forward to the measurements and critique of those high-priced ML amps of yours, Amir.:)
As I see it, he who makes the assertion has the burden of supporting that assertion. The source of an idea is not sufficient evidence that the idea is or is not sound. I'm expecting celander to provide counts of DAC reviews, for example. MQA is yet another attempt to create a de facto standard, which generally (Adobe's PDF, Windows OS, Dolby, Qualcomm's patents, Nascar, etc...) gives the standard's owners greater pricing power. Clearly the promoters of MQA have a case to make. The folks at Schitt evidently love comic book potty humor. But equally clearly, they've had success with that. ASR has more truthiness than any other audio blog I can find, but the subject matter also seems to get harder to break down and quantify as we move down the chain toward the inner ear... I'm from Missouri, as you might have guessed. Show me...

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Ah, I see the problem now.. It is not the trolls who seem incapable of reading and understanding a graph or are too lazy to wade through all the previous discussions (can't really blame them for the latter); it is that somehow Amir's Audio Precision tester has been influenced by MQA and modified itself to perform poorly on Schiit(y) products. A far deeper conspiracy than I'd ever imagined... HAL2019?

Yah, right - Don (also from MO)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
When the reviewer is both opining and measuring, its sort of difficult to separate the two. And when two different people get radically different measurements, it’s makes one believe that something is amiss.
You got it wrong and backwards.
If you paid for a new Lamborghini Huracan, and the skid pad numbers said it handled like a dump truck, the 1/4 timed at 18 seconds, and the top speed radar at 87mph, would you write glowing things about it's performance? His wording reflects the performance of the product, not the other way around.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I am not at all pro-MQA. I critique people who say things about MQA and Bob Stuart that is not correct. I don't own or use MQA DACs. Occasionally Tidal streams some MQA content that I play. That is that.

Top Bottom