• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Schiit WYRD USB Filter

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
I tested for jitter. That was the first test I showed. No improvements whatsoever.

As to what they say, let's be clear about clever marking there. They are carefully sidestepping being asked to prove it improves sound. Of course every word there is designed to make you think it improves sound. Don't believe me? Here is the first review I just pulled on it from Darko: https://darko.audio/2015/09/schiit-wyrd-usb-decrapifier-review/

View attachment 18943

He goes to substantiate the same of course:

View attachment 18944

Read the review and you see word for word what I explained in my review: that lay intuition kicks in that 'noise and jitter' are reduced so of course fidelity is improved.

Problem is that the lay engineering analysis of how our audio systems work are faulty. No clean up of USB power or clock was needed or necessary. That technical explanation is hard for people to follow who don't know how a USB DAC is designed. So I measure the same and demonstrate how there is absolutely no fidelity improvement.

This, hopefully counters the many reviews and user proclamation of fidelity improvements. People need to perform proper listening tests (blind) and only then trust what they think they are hearing. Otherwise, the marketing trap is set and shot hard on your fingers. :)
Wow, Darko is really getting exposed here and making a fool of himself by saying that he's happy to use the device permanently. I guess this is the weakness of subjective reviews, esp when there's some technical jargon and bullshitting involved.

It seems to be a trend that manufactures are coming out with these additional devices to take money from earnest audio enthusiasts. It used to only be iFi, but I see that Schiit and even Topping has jumped on the bandwagon with the P50 power supply.

BobPM

Wow, Darko is really getting exposed here and making a fool of himself by saying that he's happy to use the device permanently. I guess this is the weakness of subjective reviews, esp when there's some technical jargon and bullshitting involved.

It seems to be a trend that manufactures are coming out with these additional devices to take money from earnest audio enthusiasts. It used to only be iFi, but I see that Schiit and even Topping has jumped on the bandwagon with the P50 power supply.

Compared to what. This entire exercise is specious. When these devices came out, and it was not that long ago, DAC manufactures were trying to isolate signals from PC's, and reclock the USB signal, So these things only made sense as compared to the standard at the time. Even Darko was clear that he got no improvement except on cheap devices such as the early chromecast.

This is a review and detailed measurements of Schiit WYRD "USB decrapifier." It is on kind loan from a member and retails for USD $99 plus shipping from Schiit direct.

This is a box that has USB input and output and external transformer input. It generates new USB power using the latter, and reclocks USB using a USB hub chip with the claim of it being more accurate. Externally it looks like the rest of the budget products from Schiit except that it has yet another finish than others:

These solutions make "perfect" intuitive sense: USB is a computer port so by definition must have dirty power and signal. So why not clean them and generate better sound? Schiit doesn't provide any measurements to show efficacy of the product so that job falls on our shoulders.

For this testing I thought I should measure the performance of Schiit Modi 3 DAC per picture above. To cover our bases, I also tested with another DAC under review (March Audio dac1).

As I always do, I test what happens to the output of the DAC, not what the device does or does not to USB signal. We don't listen to USB bus. We listen to what comes out of the DAC. Any improvement better show up in the output of the DAC or it doesn't exist as far as I am concerned.

Let's see what measurements show.

Measurements
For testing very small differences especially as it relates to data interconnects, I use jitter measurements. This is done with a very deep "FFT" of 256,000 points. In English, this processing substantially lowers the measured noise of the DAC, allowing us to see the smallest distortion and spurious responses. Per above, I tested the Schiit Modi 3 alone and with Wyrd. I left out the Schiit power supply as it works fine with USB power alone (I also tested with its external power supply and results are the same):

View attachment 18939

Everything other than the tall spike at 12 kHz is unwanted and not part of the original signal.

As you see, measuring down to better than -120 dB, we see the jitter spurious tones are there without Schiit Wyrd. In other words, the internal mechanisms for distortion and noise are far, far more of a factor than any improvement Schiit Wyrd wants to impart (assuming it has something to offer).

What is that? This is a single tone and not "music?" OK, let's run a composite 32-tone multitone through the Modi 3 with and without Wyrd and see the difference:

View attachment 18940

At first glance it seems that the Wyrd (in red) actually made things worse. But that is just run to run variations. The Schiit Modi 3 USB implementation is not very good in that regard but what ails it is not fixed by Wyrd.

Let's run the same test with another DAC, the March Audio dac1 (review to come soon):

View attachment 18941

Now the results fall right on top of each other because of stable performance of dac1. Wyrd of course does nothing for this good implementation.

As an aside, see how the noise floor is lower on dac1 in lower frequencies (bottom of the tones) than Schiit Modi 3.

We could test more DACs until we get bored out of our mind but for now, I say we have convincing results that with any half-decent DAC, including Schiit's own, the Wyrd does nothing.

Conclusions
As many of us suspect, products like Schiit do nothing to improve the output of DACs. Reasons are obvious from engineering point of view: no DAC uses USB power as is. The power goes through a conversion to another voltage and filtering. This filtering may be as good as 100X better than what comes in. Making the source power cleaner makes little difference here. More so, that power is not what comes out of your DAC but goes through other circuits which themselves have immunity to power differences. So no wonder cleaning up the power has yet to show any improvement in countless tests I have run.

Reclocking the USB bus is even more futile. These are all asynchronous DACs. The dac chip runs from an internally generated clock source, not derived from USB. USB bus only needs to be clean enough for reliable data transmission. If you are getting no static or drop outs, then you are golden: the usb clock has done its job.

How about the many people who swear these products make an audible difference? Simple: they use lay intuition that the device is actually improving the output of the DAC, listen more carefully and all of a sudden notice detail that was always there but was not noticed. As we have shown here, the waveform coming out of the DAC is NOT improved in any way. Therefore any improvement perceived, is one manufactured by the brain, not heard by the ear.

Needless to say, I can NOT recommend the Schiit Wyrd. It does nothing that your DAC needs and is yet another contraption taking space on your desk.

-------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

If you like this review, or even if you don't but wish for me to have wagyu steak tomorrow, please consider donating funds using:
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/audiosciencereview), or
upgrading your membership here though Paypal (https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...eview-and-measurements.2164/page-3#post-59054).

Hi Amirm, I came across this review because I am looking for a purifier to take care of the signal from my MacBook pro to my DAC. I had an assumption that such purifiers are good for USB based audio but after reading your review I learned that this is not the case anymore.
My questions are:
1- Do I need a purifier between my MacBook pro and the Lyngdorf 3400?
2- Is the MacBook pro a bad source?
3- If the purifier is not needed for the Lyngdorf 3400, do you recommend a USB cable?

Top Bottom