• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Schiit WYRD USB Filter

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
WP_20190211_23_39_32_Pro.jpg

WP_20190211_23_40_35_Pro.jpg

WP_20190211_23_41_06_Pro.jpg

I wonder what chip is U6, perhaps the USB reclock?

I do like the 10A TO220 transistors, I guess these are responsable for the +5V power rail.

Attachments

• WP_20190211_23_42_23_Pro.jpg
    WP_20190211_23_42_23_Pro.jpg
    674.2 KB · Views: 209

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
[...]
However if you are using a desktop PC.... other than maybe a front USB port (which implementation can vary per case) I would say that motherboard USB ports are going to be generally clean.

I choose the front USB on purpose to compare it with the Wyrd now, thanks for noticing. :)

Jimster480

Major Contributor

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Measuring the +5V through a 1" long USB plug/cable:

Desktop_USB_front_port copy.png

Desktop's front USB port noise
(pretty noisy)

Schiit_Wyrd.png

Wyrd USB port noise
(identical with my scope probe shorted with GND)

Measuring the +5V rail directly on ODAC's power plug pins:

ODAC_desktop-front_USB-NC_02 copy.png

ODAC connected to desktop's front USB port noise, not playing
(200uS/div. scale instead of 20uS/div. from the pics above)

Schiit_Wyrd_ODAC_NC_02 copy.png

ODAC connected to Wyrd, not playing

ODAC_USB_playing_1KHz copy.png

ODAC connected to front USB port, playing 1 KHz sinewave

ODAC_Wyrd_playing_1KHz copy.png

ODAC connected to Wyrd port, playing 1 KHz sinewave

Interesting noises appearing every 1ms; seems to be generated by the ODAC itself and are present in both measurements (computer's USB port and Wyrd).

Wyrd is indeed delivering an extremely low-noise and stable +5V voltage, unmeasurable with my scope (signal is identical with my scope's probe when short-circuited with ground), so it's internal shunt regulator is doing it's job perfectly!

Now it's up to anyone to use it wisely, either for powering a DAC/transport, either by powering a...RaspberryPi, or simply to use it in DYI projects as a reference +5V power supply.

L.E.: No crocodile clips were used in the above measurements, just few mm long spring/wire.

Attachments

• ODAC_desktop-front_USB-NC_01 copy.png
    ODAC_desktop-front_USB-NC_01 copy.png
    407.3 KB · Views: 114
  • Schiit_Wyrd_ODAC_NC_01 copy.png
    Schiit_Wyrd_ODAC_NC_01 copy.png
    366.1 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Interesting noises appearing every 1ms; seems to be generated by the ODAC itself and are present in both measurements (computer's USB port and Wyrd).
That is the timing of USB frame so shows up in some DACs.

Reactions: trl

gvl

Major Contributor
For $50 bucks a used Wyrd is a useful gadget to keep around, I keep 2:)

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Measuring the +5V through a 1" long USB plug/cable:

View attachment 21964
Desktop's front USB port noise
(pretty noisy)

View attachment 21965
Wyrd USB port noise
(identical with my scope probe shorted with GND)

Measuring the +5V rail directly on ODAC's plug's pins:

View attachment 21967
ODAC connected to desktop's front USB port noise, not playing
(200uS/div. scale instead of 20uS/div. from the pics above)

View attachment 21970
ODAC connected to Wyrd, not playing

View attachment 21972
ODAC connected to front USB port, playing 1 KHz sinewave

View attachment 21973
ODAC connected to Wyrd port, playing 1 KHz sinewave

Wyrd is indeed delivering an extremely low-noise and stable +5V voltage, unmeasurable with my scope (signal is identical with my scope's probe when short-circuited with ground), so it's internal shunt regulator is doing it's job perfectly!

Now it's up to anyone to use it wisely, either for powering a DAC/transport, either by powering a...RaspberryPi, or simply to use it in DYI projects as a reference +5V power supply.

L.E.: No crocodile clips were used in the above measurements, just few mm long spring/wire.
What about your rear USB connections?

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
I see no audio differences between front USB and Wyrd, I don't think there should be on the rear USB, right? Or am I missing the point perhaps?
My rear USB ports have been measured and posted in the Archimago's blog, per above link; I can measure them again if you want, but the AC ripple & noise was between the front USB and Wyrd. BTW, I found a very clean +5V: Lenovo 65W power adapter with USB hub.

monkey4054

Any merit to more expensive solutions like the IFI MICRO IUSB3.0 or IFI Nano IGALVANIC3.0 USB Galvanic Isolation etc.? Or are they just as pointless as the Wyrd when going from a PC to a competent DAC?

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Any merit to more expensive solutions like the IFI MICRO IUSB3.0 or IFI Nano IGALVANIC3.0 USB Galvanic Isolation etc.? Or are they just as pointless as the Wyrd when going from a PC to a competent DAC?
It would be just as pointless for any competent DAC. Basically nothing that is actually good has a bad USB implementation to the point that it will benefit from a device like this one.

monkey4054

It would be just as pointless for any competent DAC. Basically nothing that is actually good has a bad USB implementation to the point that it will benefit from a device like this one.

Right, I thought so. So basically all these USB "de-crapifiers" and conditioners/filters etc. are snake oil essentially?

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods

Theoretically, less noise coming from power input means lower background noise on DAC's output, but these days the internal power regulators from most DACs are quite good and spending money on a Wyrd or anything else similar might not actually improve anything at all.

However, in my case, I had connected PLAYMATE directly, then via Wyrd to one of my laptops and background noise decreased while using Wyrd with about 1-2 dB for frequencies above 5-6 KHz. However, ARTA provided the exact same numbers for THD+N, also my ears where unable to make a difference too, so...not quite an audible nor measurable improvement.

In iFi's case, if speaking about a galvanic isolation for input power, then you might give it a try if you can borrow one from a friend, then see if RMAA & ARTA are providing different numbers for SNR and THD+N. Theoretically, galvanic isolation will remove any possible ground loops, so in some cases might be an option, but not sure this would be your case or not.

P.S.: Given iFi's price is comparable with DX7s on Massdrop I don't think I can recommend it. Also, D50 DAC costs much less then iFi Galvanic and is a very competent DAC.

Last edited:

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Right, I thought so. So basically all these USB "de-crapifiers" and conditioners/filters etc. are snake oil essentially?

It really depends on what issue you're facing currently with your DAC & PC. Like I said, a ground loop might be removed with a "de-crapifier" device, but not sure anyone ever measured any difference before & after using a "de-crapifier". Like I said, most DACs have already built-in power regulators and sometimes rail splitters to accommodate power for the internal circuitry, so the power you inject from the USB port is filtered inside the DAC. Even with my old ODAC V1 I couldn't measure any differences, but maybe I'll give it another try on a noisy USB port from my PC (I think I already did that once, but I'll try it again).

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Any merit to more expensive solutions like the IFI MICRO IUSB3.0 or IFI Nano IGALVANIC3.0 USB Galvanic Isolation etc.?
I have an iFI iUSB 3.0 coming for testing. For now, for well designed DACs there would be no benefit.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Theoretically, less noise coming from power input means lower background noise on DAC's output, but these days the internal power regulators from most DACs are quite good and spending money on a Wyrd or anything else similar might not actually improve anything at all.

However, in my case, I had connected PLAYMATE directly, then via Wyrd to one of my laptops and background noise decreased while using Wyrd with about 1-2 dB for frequencies above 5-6 KHz. However, ARTA provided the exact same numbers for THD+N, also my ears where unable to make a difference too, so...not quite an audible nor measurable improvement.

In iFi's case, if speaking about a galvanic isolation for input power, then you might give it a try if you can borrow one from a friend, then see if RMAA & ARTA are providing different numbers for SNR and THD+N. Theoretically, galvanic isolation will remove any possible ground loops, so in some cases might be an option, but not sure this is would be your case or not.

P.S.: Given iFi's price is comparable with DX7s on Massdrop I don't think I can recommend it. Also, D50 DAC worth much less then iFi Galvanic and is a very competent DAC.
yeah yeah I mean these isolators cost as much as my DAC.
I paid $270 for my DX7 when it just came out.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Attaching 4 pics with ODAC without vs. with Wyrd, while being connected to a noisy front USB port. Unable to see a real difference, but feel free to check the attached pics. Two are -72dB and two are -105dB (dithered, so noise raises when 20 KHz approaches). I like that even with -105dB audio files there's still enough headroom till the background noise of ODAC.

Attachments

• ODA_right_ch_-72dB.png
    ODA_right_ch_-72dB.png
    67.9 KB · Views: 151
  • ODAC_right_ch_-105dB.png
    ODAC_right_ch_-105dB.png
    68.2 KB · Views: 156
  • ODAC+WYRD_right_ch_-72dB.png
    ODAC+WYRD_right_ch_-72dB.png
    68.8 KB · Views: 169
  • ODAC+WYRD_right_ch_-105dB.png
    ODAC+WYRD_right_ch_-105dB.png
    67.8 KB · Views: 151

bequietjk

To add to my last post, here is Jason Stoddard on head-fi with his brilliant marketing back in 2014 telling the story of how Wyrd came about:

View attachment 18945

Say one thing on the website, but another in a forum.

The above by the way is textbook invalid audio testing.

I find myself doing this a lot when i mess with my audio chain

formdissolve

Forum Donor
One use case for this product is to allow for extended runs of USB 2.0 cable from your source. The spec for max USB 2.0 cable length is set at 16 feet (I've had luck with 20, but after that I get dropouts, but different cables may be better). I have a headless Volumio Raspberry PI in a different room and use a Wyrd that I got from Schiit direct for $49 plus shipping in between, and no longer have dropouts at nearly 40 feet distance. I'm sure any old cheap powered USB 2.0 hub would work just as well, but this product found life in this use case! I'm going to be redoing my audio setup so it probably won't get used anymore, but for now it's great.

Reactions: trl

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Makes lot of sense in using Wyrd as a repeater, especially that an active USB cable starts at 70 USD. After all, it will act as an USB hub to regenerate the digital signals, but will also provide an extremely clean +5V output for the guest equipment.

Top Bottom