• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Schiit WYRD USB Filter

gvl

Major Contributor
can this thing do any harm?

Relax, you and your family are perfectly safe. As for ground loops, the thing doesn't use a ground pin, there shouldn't be any, new ones anyway. I have one too, makes an okay 5V linear power supply with a switch. One usage you can use it as a repeater on longer USB cable runs.

Rollingsound514

Forum Donor
Did you already sell it? Otherwise its not too late :p

Honeslty given how thin the local market is for this type of stuff and me not willing to go Ebay it, I`m just gonna keep it and use when I want a powered USB hub that I know is decently made to provide power to something like a Dragonfly 1.2 or some other piece of junk

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Honeslty given how thin the local market is for this type of stuff and me not willing to go Ebay it, I`m just gonna keep it and use when I want a powered USB hub that I know is decently made to provide power to something like a Dragonfly 1.2 or some other piece of junk
Ebay is the best ever lol.
I usually sell anything I'm not using/not going to use on ebay.

My M8 might be for sale on ebay soon as I don't use it anymore either...

jackenhack

Forum Donor
They could always try to move the customer base to an area where it actually would make a difference. HAM radio enthusiasts.
When using USB SDR radio receivers, the cables usually looks like this.
wduTb8y.jpg

Here, you essentially regularly do the measuring of the system, aka the radio reception. And here clean power does work. No subjective bias, you have the meter right in front of you. You look at the noise floor of the radio reception.
Expensive cables and "purifiers" for audio? If the DAC is appropriately filtered and using low noise DC converters, it should make no difference.

Reactions: trl

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Here's the real scoop !!!

Schiit Audio Corporation, is ready to lunch the USB 3.0 radio transmission, including the IKEA V2 remote, which will let you to control the jitter transmission rate ...

USB via radio.jpg

Last edited:

Jorj

Forum Donor
May I recommend the all-new Schiit Sphinctyr? When plugged inline with the Schiit Eitr and Wyrd, it does even MORE nothing! Some say it adds a pleasing nutty flavor to your music, but we're not promising audio Nirvana.
-Jason Stoddard, maybe.

Last edited:

Dana reed

Yes yes.... its a single port USB hub.
that's basically the benefit of it. allowing plugin of a mobile device to the DAC without the DAC drawing power from the device. of course any powered hub will do...

Jimster480

Major Contributor
that's basically the benefit of it. allowing plugin of a mobile device to the DAC without the DAC drawing power from the device. of course any powered hub will do...
True! That is an actual use for it. Unfortunately at $10-20 USB hub could do the same as you said :)

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
[...]
its been proven that the Wyrd does nothing at all.
[...]

Manufacturer is admitting there might be no audible improvements as well, so what Wyrd does?
- Ensures a very clean +5V for the USB transport chip (if the DAC/device really needs it).
- Provides galvanic isolation from power (mains) through the built-in AC-AC transformer.

I'm pretty sure there should be somewhere on this planet a device that will actually benefit of such a clean +5V power. After all, on eBay a linear PSU of a decent quality is over 20 USD and a transformer is about 15 USD, so finding Wyrd at about 50 USD (like I found) might worth buying. Never know when in need for a +5V to some project. :)

At least it does something measurable to the USB power, even if the sound doesn't gets changed, not like expensive 16A gold-plated power cables used to power 0.1A DACs. :)

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Manufacturer is admitting there might be no audible improvements as well, so what Wyrd does?
- Ensures a very clean +5V for the USB transport chip (if the DAC/device really needs it).
- Provides galvanic isolation from power (mains) through the built-in AC-AC transformer.

I'm pretty sure there should be somewhere on this planet a device that will actually benefit of such a clean +5V power. After all, on eBay a linear PSU of a decent quality is over 20 USD and a transformer is about 15 USD, so finding Wyrd at about 50 USD (like I found) might worth buying. Never know when in need for a +5V to some project. :)

At least it does something measurable to the USB power, even if the sound doesn't gets changed, not like expensive 16A gold-plated power cables used to power 0.1A DACs. :)
Well.... You could also buy any USB hub. Its not like they are using some ultra-clean high quality transformer for their power input on Wryd.
But Wyrd is $100 normally lol for what is really like $5 worth of parts!

FWIW most good motherboards today have much cleaner USB power than this thing ever would have (provided that you have a good PSU inside of your computer) which is actually direct contradiction to the notion that USB power is somehow dirty.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods

Jimster480

Major Contributor

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Desktop_01.png

ODAC powered from front desktop USB port - background noise
(about the same noise measured by the designer here :http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2012/04/odac-released.html)
Wyrd_01.png

ODAC powered from Wyrd USB port - background noise
(I think the 500 KHz spike and it's harmonics are caused by the added USB cable into the chain, just can't prove it)

Desktop_02.png

ODAC powered front desktop USB port - FFT 1 KHz

Wyrd_02.png

ODAC powered from Wyrd desktop USB port - FFT 1 KHz

Virtually same background noise and 1 KHz FFT, and ODAC is 100% USB powered DAC. Maybe I'll try some 11/12 KHz tests as well.

Attachments

• ASUS_U7_ADC_noise.png
    ASUS_U7_ADC_noise.png
    63.1 KB · Views: 98

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
yes but that is just his specific computer.

I did the USB measurements on several computers after I read Archimago's first article. This way I realized that docking stations sucks, unless they got their own power regulators inside, and that USB ports from nearby the power plug might be more noisy.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I did the USB measurements on several computers after I read Archimago's first article. This way I realized that docking stations sucks, unless they got their own power regulators inside, and that USB ports from nearby the power plug might be more noisy.
That makes perfect sense!
Docking stations without their own power will have a bunch of power regulators and likely have signal and power going through shoddy connectors or poorly grounded ones which could result in additional noise.
However if you are using a desktop PC.... other than maybe a front USB port (which implementation can vary per case) I would say that motherboard USB ports are going to be generally clean.

Reactions: trl
Top Bottom