• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Schiit WYRD USB Filter

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Probably not a good example but Benchmark was selling the DAC1 until 2013 or so, and it used adaptive USB.
The DAC1 had internal asynchronous sample rate conversion so accomplished the same (i.e. not using the USB clock as is to drive the DAC).

gvl

Major Contributor
The DAC1 had internal asynchronous sample rate conversion so accomplished the same (i.e. not using the USB clock as is to drive the DAC).

I did say it wasn't a good example :) But technically it used adaptive USB. And ASRC has its own issues, afaik anyway.

Last edited:

Jimster480

Major Contributor
The ifi iDefender 3.0 is the only USB "purification" (really it does something pretty simple - cuts the USB power out of the equation) product that has actually worked for me. Did wonders for my ground loop hum issues, but my PC's USB output is still cancer and will make certain DACs noisy.
My friend has a Skylake i7 machine that has such a noisy USB interface that it actually makes DAC's screech randomly.
He would tell me that every USB DAC he tried he ended up with random noises or popping in the music.
I think he started to use the optical output from his computer to avoid this problem, and he bought an Eitr too i think it was...

I have personally never had a computer myself with such USB issues, but hes not the first friend to have issues like this in terms of USB power.
Although at no time does that mean that the USB power filters will fix this, or that fidelity would be improved.
It just means that devices that isolate the DAC from the PC are able to FIX problems like this.

gvl

Major Contributor
I wasn't following audio closely back then, but based on my Internet excavations the async USB wasn't really a thing you could buy until 2008/09. Gordon Rankin of Wavelength Audio who's credited to be one of the async USB pioneers showed his first async DAC at the 2008 CES. The mentioned Arcam rDac was a big deal at the time as it was one of the first reasonably priced async USB DACs from a mainstream vendor.

Last edited:

gvl

Major Contributor
Credited by whom other than himself and his sycophants (the audio press)?

No idea, he did seem to have a following. Regardless, anyone has many examples of an async USB Dac one could buy in 08/09?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Can you run an S/N test?
Here you go:
Schiit Wyrd USB With Modi 3 dynamic range SNR Measurements.png

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Crossposting the test of SMSL Sanskrit 10th DAC with Wyrd here:

Schiit Wyrd USB With SMSL Sanskrit 10th Measurements.png

In other words, Wyrd does NOT make for a more powerful power supply than the native one out of the computer's USB port. And it doesn't improve performance with this DAC either.

gvl

Major Contributor
@amirm, I have a cheapo Chinese PCM2704 16-bit adaptive USB DAC laying around, if there is any interest I can send it in so we (and by we I mean you) can drive the last nail in if the Wyrd's loan window permits. Or maybe you can find one already in one of your drawers...

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amir, I have a cheapo Chinese PCM2704 16-bit adaptive USB DAC laying around, if there is any interest I can send it in so we (and by we I mean you) can drive the last nail in if the Wyrd's loan window permits. Or maybe you can find one already in one of your drawers...
Thanks but I don't think that answer matters. Any time I invest on this, is time not used to measure something new.....

Jimster480

Major Contributor
@amirm, I have a cheapo Chinese PCM2704 16-bit adaptive USB DAC laying around, if there is any interest I can send it in so we (and by we I mean you) can drive the last nail in if the Wyrd's loan window permits. Or maybe you can find one already in one of your drawers...
It would make little sense to test this.
its been proven that the Wyrd does nothing at all.

If you want to go and search for a product that it might possibly be able to help; you are being a Schiit fanboy by trying to find a use case for a useless and flawed (and overpriced) product.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If you want to go and search for a product that it might possibly be able to help; you are being a Schiit fanboy by trying to find a use case for a useless and flawed (and overpriced) product.
He is being helpful so let's not blame him. :)

Jimster480

Major Contributor

Rollingsound514

Forum Donor
I bought this thing before reading this and I'm stuck with it... Other than POSSIBLY being able to introduce a ground loop by introducing another power supply into a system, can this thing do any harm? If not I'll just keep it in the mix as my USB source is a PC I built myself in 2012 when I had no clue what I was doing... Having it there gives my OCD a rest knowing that the first link in the chain is clean...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It can't do any harm. It will just use extra power doing nothing useful. I would sell it and put the money toward something else. May want to do it sooner than later before more people read this review. :)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I still have it some place although our male dog found it and performed a teardown on it:
index.php

I like his teardowns!

Perhaps he could do some more for us? Sure beats pictures of cats doing silly things. :)

Top Bottom