• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Schiit WYRD USB Filter

Rollingsound514

Forum Donor
Great read! I'll admit I own one of these (Shame, SHAME!) ... now how to get rid of it? Be interested in you plugging this into a Modi 2 Uber or something and see if it does anything, something with crummier usb than the modi 3. Thanks for the review

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I don't have any such DACs. I can simulate it by building a super crappy long USB cable. Last time I did this with another device (ISO Regen), it had more trouble than the DAC natively! That required stringing two USB extension cables and then some. I don't know anyone who uses the Wyrd because they could not get their DAC to work. It is just as cheap to buy another DAC without that problem.
Hahahah true its 99$. There's alot of solid dacs at 99$, the damn Modi maybe. Wow okay I'm with you now. This kinda seems like a snake oil product now...

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Here is the guilty party resting after said activity:
View attachment 18947

Samoyed?

Here are our pair of daft as brush Finnish Spitz, closely related to Sam's.

Screenshot_2018-12-17-11-36-07-07.png

Last edited:
...looks like the rest of the budget products from Schiit except that it has yet another finish than others

This F#%&!@G kills me! I actually bought the Schiit stack. The customer service is every bit as amazing and quick as people post about. This damn stack...not only is it different tones but the brushing was DIFFERENT DIRECTIONS! The Modi was vertical and the Magni was horizontal..and the knob was a little off to the left and grinded between 9 and 2...and it struggled to get the 4XX(only headphones I had) loud! Dude.. It spent like 1 day on my desk and my OCD flipped and I couldn't take looking at the finish. Also I got my HD660s and Darkvoice delivered the next day(thank god) so I sent back the Magni and have been using the Modi...I wish I could have kept the Magni, just to have a complete stack but that finish...and now I kinda dont have any interest in the other cheap "stack" components after this and the Eitr reviews. The company gives off this "collect them all" vibe, but doesn't make them look good together. Schiit S#$t is painful to look at together. So why would you? I'm feeling like Modi is getting sold. Wasn't the point of this review, but why would I keep it? I have no interest in any other cheap components, and keeping my desk reddit ready is important to me. The Mjolnir seems badass but from Jot down...Eww

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The company gives off this "collect them all" vibe, but doesn't make them look good together. Schiit S#$t is painful to look at together.
You are right. So many people strive to have a "schiit stack" yet they don't match in the most obvious ways. Even switch types are different.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
That is correct. We have two of them too. Did not know they were related to Finnish Spitz but looking at your picture, I see the resemblance!

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Curly over tail and always has to have the last word

There a bunch of different Spitz, Japanese ones are assentially mini Samoyed in white. Ours is the national dog of Finland.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Hahahah true its 99$. There's alot of solid dacs at 99$, the damn Modi maybe. Wow okay I'm with you now. This kinda seems like a snake oil product now...
D30 is $99 isn't it?
What about D10?
It has a SPDIF output too haha, so you can drive your Schiit DAC without dealing with the horrible USB implementation :D:D:D:D:facepalm:

gvl

Major Contributor
The Wyrd was an early product, async USB was just becoming widespread. I suspect they technically targeted those with adaptive USB DACs. It would be interesting to see if the Wyrd has any effect with adaptive USB.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
The Wyrd was an early product, async USB was just becoming widespread. I suspect they technically targeted those with adaptive USB DACs. It would be interesting to see if the Wyrd has any effect with adaptive USB.
It literally came out in Q4 2015.
That is 3 years ago.
The company started in 2010.

Its not even close to "an early product".
In 2015 there were plenty of Async DAC's everywhere...

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The company started in 2010.

Its not even close to "an early product".
In 2015 there were plenty of Async DAC's everywhere...
I think async DACS were the norm from before the company started.

gvl

Major Contributor
I think async DACS were the norm from before the company started.

I believe they became mainstream after 2010, so in 2015 there was probably still a good number of adaptive DACs in use.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe they became mainstream after 2010, so in 2015 there was probably still a good number of adaptive DACs in use.
https://www.whathifi.com/arcam/rdac/review
I bought one of these around then, my memory is nearly all the DACs on the market were async by then, no one wanted to be caught selling old adaptive ones. Does not mean all the new async ones were any good.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
You people and your miniature dogs. Hmph.

Maki

The ifi iDefender 3.0 is the only USB "purification" (really it does something pretty simple - cuts the USB power out of the equation) product that has actually worked for me. Did wonders for my ground loop hum issues, but my PC's USB output is still cancer and will make certain DACs noisy.

Top Bottom