• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Schiit Valhalla Amp

magicscreen

I think theres probaly audible difference with high quality audio files and good hearing.
This level of Sinad is just very bad, you cant even reproduce the dinamic range of a simple CD, theres no way that there isnt any difference.
I hope that Amir uses high quality audio files for testing.
And I am sure that his son has better hearing than mine :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I hope that Amir uses high quality audio files for testing.
I have a selection of files which over time, have provided revealing of headphone distortion. I am always adding to them though.

Bds3151

Well there's no excusing distortion that is encroaching on audible territory and horrible power at 1%THD. However, clearly this unit has been banged up. At least one channel appears to have attrocious measurements. I know you are limited in purchasing new units and must rely on used units, but I wonder if it's wise to publish measurements of an amp that may have been broken.

You can't hear it until it is over 1% according to this study. A whole lot of confirmation bias going on here.
https://www.axiomaudio.com/blog/distortion/

Bds3151

Thanks John. A good read. Seems like it contradicts the input here that many have tried to hear differences in equipment and failed. I'll do some more research on how the study was done. Must of been great ears to hear .003% or so.

Bds3151

Thanks for that clarification Amirm. I think they tried to specify worst case with 1 to 3% in the study I posted. But there seems to be a lot of differences with the additional studies John posted. I know ears/brains are very different but I don't know why it's so hard to agree on a worst case range. It can't be from .003 to 20%, can it?

Top Bottom