• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Review and Measurements of Schiit Valhalla Amp

All the half-way praise for schiit is faro more damning than anything I'd say. A company of mediocrity it would seem.

There are other more interesting things to test, if our glorious tester (no sarcasm) can get his hands and the time for them. From his own Levinson amp to half the stuff from JDL Labs. Fusion amp. Ice power amp. Emotiva. Crown. ACT. There are all kinds of products from all kinds of companies that have better track records and often lower prices.

Aamir has found a few next big things, upending the industry. He could do it again and again. Will probably do it.

But saying, "Oh look, Schiit is less Schitty than before," doesn't exactly get my heart aflutter. Also tubes are clearly meh and will always be clearly meh. They're just a styling fetish. Unless Aamir is going to come up with measurements of pleasant distortion, distortion we want to see, then why bother? Also, if there is such thing as pleasant distortion, a DSP plug in could add it in spades.
+1 to emotiva and amir's mark levinson

It looks like amps and dacs are much of a muchness, not worth thinking about for more than a couple of minutes. Buy once and buy cheap.

I think theres probaly audible difference with high quality audio files and good hearing.
This level of Sinad is just very bad, you cant even reproduce the dinamic range of a simple CD, theres no way that there isnt any difference.
I hope that Amir uses high quality audio files for testing.
And I am sure that his son has better hearing than mine :)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I hope that Amir uses high quality audio files for testing.
I have a selection of files which over time, have provided revealing of headphone distortion. I am always adding to them though.

Well there's no excusing distortion that is encroaching on audible territory and horrible power at 1%THD. However, clearly this unit has been banged up. At least one channel appears to have attrocious measurements. I know you are limited in purchasing new units and must rely on used units, but I wonder if it's wise to publish measurements of an amp that may have been broken.
You can't hear it until it is over 1% according to this study. A whole lot of confirmation bias going on here.
https://www.axiomaudio.com/blog/distortion/

Thanks John. A good read. Seems like it contradicts the input here that many have tried to hear differences in equipment and failed. I'll do some more research on how the study was done. Must of been great ears to hear .003% or so.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Spectrum of THD determines its audibility. As such, any rule of one number for THD can very much be wrong. This is why I always show the FFT spectrum in the dashboard.

Thanks for that clarification Amirm. I think they tried to specify worst case with 1 to 3% in the study I posted. But there seems to be a lot of differences with the additional studies John posted. I know ears/brains are very different but I don't know why it's so hard to agree on a worst case range. It can't be from .003 to 20%, can it?

Top Bottom