• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Schiit Valhalla 2 Headphone Amp

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Order placed for Valhalla 2.

I've got a whole box full of NOS 6922s that I'm not using quickly enough and I don't want to take them to my grave decades from now.

I'll be on an adventure -- I've never owned an OTL amp before.

This should work fine for my nightstand system, paired with Sennheiser HD6XX. I might try some Beyer closed backs, too.

I'll be pairing this a Modius DAC.

So a poor measuring amp + good measuring DAC.

Last edited:

Luke Lemke

Order placed for Valhalla 2.

I've got a whole box full of NOS 6922s that I'm not using quickly enough and I don't want to take them to my grave decades from now.

I'll be an adventure -- I've never owned an OTL amp before.

This should work fine for my nightstand system, paired with Sennheiser HD6XX. I might try some Beyer closed backs, too.

I'll be pairing this a Modius DAC.

So a poor measuring amp + good measuring DAC.
I've been willing to import the Valhalla to my home country, but it's just too heavy. I'd like to have a three layer schiit stack: Modius, Magnius and Valhalla, all Black. It will probably look pretty good.

In terms of sound quality, I guess almost no improvement over my current Magni/Modi set-up. Still, I've never heard tube amps before, curious how "bad" they actually sound...

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I've been willing to import the Valhalla to my home country, but it's just too heavy. I'd like to have a three layer schiit stack: Modius, Magnius and Valhalla, all Black. It will probably look pretty good.

In terms of sound quality, I guess almost no improvement over my current Magni/Modi set-up. Still, I've never heard tube amps before, curious how "bad" they actually sound...

Jason Stoddard made a comment that, with the original Valli, which had distortion components as high as -40 dB, and was hundreds of times more distorted than Magni, it was hard to tell them apart in a level matched blind test.

Luke Lemke

Jason Stoddard made a comment that, with the original Valli, which had distortion components as high as -40 dB, and was hundreds of times more distorted than Magni, it was hard to tell them apart in a level matched blind test.
Yep, I agree, pretty sure there's no audible distortion from the Valhalla. Are you planning to do a blind test between tube and solid state? I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the Valhalla once you get it.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Yep, I agree, pretty sure there's no audible distortion from the Valhalla. Are you planning to do a blind test between tube and solid state? I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the Valhalla once you get it.

I'm not sure how I'd do that with the Valhalla.

While I have some Schiit LISST tubes that came with my Mjolnir 2, I don't think they work in the Valhalla 2.

Gremlins

Hello,

Anyone uskng this amp with other tubes than the stock one?

Could you recomend me some tubes and what kind of change would these make?

Should i look to change the small input ones or output ones?

Thanks

Top Bottom