• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Schiit Saga Tube Pre-amp

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Actually it is really easy and fun switching mode with the remote. @amirm did you try it?
I tried the remote for volume and it was very nice to have. Did not try to mode switch with it but I assume it works.

vitalii427

Forum Donor
I tried the remote for volume and it was very nice to have. Did not try to mode switch with it but I assume it works.
Actually I wanted you to try to hear the difference between passive vs tube and understand its cause.

gvl

Major Contributor
@amirm , if you have time, would you run THD vs. frequency with the tube-buffer? Thank you.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm , if you have time, would you run THD vs. frequency with the tube-buffer? Thank you.
Oh, I had run that already but forgot to post:

Schiit Saga Hybrid Tube Passive Pre-amplifier THD distortion versus frequency measurements.png

Note again that this is at 90 kHz bandwidth.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm if you're doing more measurements it would be nice to see channel balance.
Sure. Here you go:

Schiit Saga Hybrid Tube Passive Pre-amplifier channel imbalance measurements.png

One wonders if the same person is behind this design that engineered other Schiit products!

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
All in all it looks like a winner. A remote input selector and remote volume control with decent performance.

Plenty of guys with vintage setups seem to like Schiit and this device will turn their old-skool rigs into semi-modern remote controlled systems.

Jake's Dad

Thanks so much for this review, Amir! It is personally very satisfying because I have been using a Saga (along with a Vidar power amp) and, despite the fact that Schitt has heretofore generally gotten very poor reviews on ASR, I really liked the sound and functionality, as well as the price point. You have released so much shame and embarassment! ;)

Cheers,

Alex

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Actually I wanted you to try to hear the difference between passive vs tube and understand its cause.
I hooked up the Massdrop THX AAA 789 and listened to a dozen tracks. I could not tell the difference at max volume between Tube or Passive.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Skool or Scool or School or Sckool or Skcool ... ? Which one did you mean ?

It's school of course. It's some hangover from the DJ/Rap scene where the 'old-skool' moniker came from I think. I just write it that way for fun. ;)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
maybe Audio Precision should think about making some hi-end audio - can you imagine a DAC and headphone amplifier from them

I can imagine it would be expensive.

michman66

Really glad to see this review today! I own a Saga. After 6 months of owning it, I decided to try another tube. I bought a Tung-Sol SN7 GTB from Tubedepot. I liked it better. Here's my issue; I can't seem to get my combo loud as I would like. I have a Linn LK 140. I just checked the input impedance and its 10K. I have a few sets of speakers, my Fave''s are Vandersteen VLR Wood. The efficiency is 86db. With the volume at max, my SPL is not as loud as I'd like it. Putting aside all the what? I listen to all kinds of music and sometimes like to play loud at LIVE levels as I am a Pro musician. The Linn is 140 w into 4 ohms and 95 at 8 ohms. I have a set of HSU bookshelf speakers 92 db and I can get things louder. I also have a HSU SUB and their hi-end xcross. Still I am at MAX and I'm wondering why it's not ear bleed level way before the MAX? I've been thinking of selling the Saga or the Linn or maybe both? With the input impedance at 10K is the SAGA a bad marriage? Thank you.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Lin spec is 0.9 volts for max power so I don't think anything upstream is the problem. I think those speakers are too small/inefficient and your amp underpowered for what you want. Suggest looking at some JBL speakers if you are used to live sound.

vitalii427

Forum Donor
Really glad to see this review today! I own a Saga. After 6 months of owning it, I decided to try another tube. I bought a Tung-Sol SN7 GTB from Tubedepot. I liked it better. Here's my issue; I can't seem to get my combo loud as I would like. I have a Linn LK 140. I just checked the input impedance and its 10K. I have a few sets of speakers, my Fave''s are Vandersteen VLR Wood. The efficiency is 86db. With the volume at max, my SPL is not as loud as I'd like it. Putting aside all the what? I listen to all kinds of music and sometimes like to play loud at LIVE levels as I am a Pro musician. The Linn is 140 w into 4 ohms and 95 at 8 ohms. I have a set of HSU bookshelf speakers 92 db and I can get things louder. I also have a HSU SUB and their hi-end xcross. Still I am at MAX and I'm wondering why it's not ear bleed level way before the MAX? I've been thinking of selling the Saga or the Linn or maybe both? With the input impedance at 10K is the SAGA a bad marriage? Thank you.
10K seems low for Saga and you lose some bass in tube mode. But it should not affect the max volume.

michman66

Lin spec is 0.9 volts for max power so I don't think anything upstream is the problem. I think those speakers are too small/inefficient and your amp underpowered for what you want. Suggest looking at some JBL speakers if you are used to live sound.
Thank you, I think you are right on the money. Also looking at a Class D amp 225 or 300W a channel. More efficient speakers usually cost less big brute power.

garbulky

Major Contributor
I hooked up the Massdrop THX AAA 789 and listened to a dozen tracks. I could not tell (the difference at max volume between Tube or Passive.
(Subjective impressions). I tried the Schiit Saga too. I did notice a difference between the two modes. The tube had a bit more well...something tubey in the treble. However I wasn't necessarily thrilled with the sound though nothing too bad stuck out to me. Interesting that these measurements show that theoretically there should have been no audible difference at all. Its measurements actually show it doing quite a bit better than some other preamps I've used. The guy that owned it sold it quickly though he mildly liked it best as I know.

Top Bottom