• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Schiit Modi 3 DAC

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No. Not with any of them that I test and give high marks without one.

As to other options, you can go cheaper with Topping D10 at $70 and get a much nicer looking DAC with display, bridge to S/PDIF, etc.

The D50 is nice but you are paying for the display and remote. If these are valuable to you then, it is a better option.

SMSL SU-8 version 2 is also nice at around $250 with balanced output.
Wait, you get a remote on the D50? I feel like I've been shafted.

nevertoomanybackups

I bought the Schiit Modi 3. Enjoying it so far. I have it in 32bit over USB. So far zero issues and basically dead quiet into my Crack + Speedgrade to HD650's.
However... @amirm would there be any listening benefit to using the D10 to feed the Modi 3 TOSLINK instead of USB mode on the Modi 3?

bravomail

Got my Schiit Modi3. It doesn't like my PC's USB - produces garbled sounds. But it works from my phone USB. So problem is with my PC somewhere. Luckily I have optical SPDIF on my PC which I use. Modi3 outputs to Magni 2. Sound is more detailed now. I hear some things which were muddied out when using direct PC to Magni2 (on some old pop music MP3s). I also compared Modi3 to Yamaha rx-v683 headphone out (also attached to Magni2). Yamaha sounds more "musical", which probably is due to higher harmonic distortions of Yamaha. Modi3 gives some details which Yamaha lacks. Things which sounded like hissy noise from FLAC of album rip (turntable rip) - came out as an interated cymbals of the song. Shocking. Overall, very pleased with Modi3. Get ready to have your head blown! :)

bigx5murf

Got my Schiit Modi3. It doesn't like my PC's USB - produces garbled sounds. But it works from my phone USB. So problem is with my PC somewhere. Luckily I have optical SPDIF on my PC which I use. Modi3 outputs to Magni 2. Sound is more detailed now. I hear some things which were muddied out when using direct PC to Magni2 (on some old pop music MP3s). I also compared Modi3 to Yamaha rx-v683 headphone out (also attached to Magni2). Yamaha sounds more "musical", which probably is due to higher harmonic distortions of Yamaha. Modi3 gives some details which Yamaha lacks. Things which sounded like hissy noise from FLAC of album rip (turntable rip) - came out as an interated cymbals of the song. Shocking. Overall, very pleased with Modi3. Get ready to have your head blown! :)

Your Yamaha AVR's headphone output probably has extremely high output impedance. I know my RX-Z7, lists in it's specs as having an output impedance of 100ohm. So definitely going to mess with the FR of any headphones.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
However... @amirm would there be any listening benefit to using the D10 to feed the Modi 3 TOSLINK instead of USB mode on the Modi 3?
No. I would not bother at all unless you have some kind of ground loop/hum/buzz.

Dalbry91

@amirm When you are showing the dynamic range measurements you aren’t showing them A-Weighted like the manufacturer normally shows on their website correct? What is the difference in A-Weighted and the method you are showing? Also on the Modi 3 what would the approximate A-Weighted dynamic range be? Sorry if I butchered the question, I am a complete newbie to all of this.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm When you are showing the dynamic range measurements you aren’t showing them A-Weighted like the manufacturer normally shows on their website correct? What is the difference in A-Weighted and the method you are showing? Also on the Modi 3 what would the approximate A-Weighted dynamic range be? Sorry if I butchered the question, I am a complete newbie to all of this.
I do not use a-weighting. How much it makes things better is a function of the actual performance of the device. If there is crud where the filtering occurs, then it makes more of a difference than if it doesn't have it. So no way of accurately predicting it.

rocket91fm

amirm, Is there any way you could produce a frequency response graph @ 192 khz sampling. I have a unique purpose for the Modi 3 using software by "Stereo Tool" to generate a MPX signal with RDS for FM broadcast. I would be curious if the response is relatively flat to 60 khz or so before it rolls off. Do you know if there are any HF filters in play on the Modi 3?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
amirm, Is there any way you could produce a frequency response graph @ 192 khz sampling. I have a unique purpose for the Modi 3 using software by "Stereo Tool" to generate a MPX signal with RDS for FM broadcast. I would be curious if the response is relatively flat to 60 khz or so before it rolls off. Do you know if there are any HF filters in play on the Modi 3?
I don't know and have not tested it such. I am not sure I will get to it soon due to volume of work but ping me in a couple of weeks if I have not done it.

SmashBruh

Could I perhaps get some subjective impressions of the D50 vs the Modi 3? Measurements are great but I'd love to know how the two perform in terms of actual listening experiences when pitted against each other?

flipflop

Measurements are great but I'd love to know how the two perform in terms of actual listening experiences when pitted against each other?
It's unlikely someone has performed a level matched double-blind test with the two products and even more unlikely that they provide different listening experiences.

Eric Auer

Could I perhaps get some subjective impressions of the D50 vs the Modi 3? Measurements are great but I'd love to know how the two perform in terms of actual listening experiences when pitted against each other?

In your case the best way to get that information would be to listen to both. With your gear. In your room. With your ears. And music that you like.

SmashBruh

In your case the best way to get that information would be to listen to both. With your gear. In your room. With your ears. And music that you like.
Oh, I undoubtedly agree! But... Uh... That's a little expensive to do. ._.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, I undoubtedly agree! But... Uh... That's a little expensive to do. ._.

...and pointless: the audio performance of each will far surpass your speakers, your room, and most importantly your human ears.

Buy the one that has better features, better looks, better reliability, better customer support... whatever it is that generally makes you feel better. It will be the one that "sounds" better when you listen to it :)

(I hope that doesn't come off as patronising - it's the same advice I would give to myself.)

bravomail

I think all DACs produce the same sound musically, without adding coloration. Zeus was the first from whom I heard it, but I tend to agree. Amp will make much bigger difference. But DAC should introduce as little noise as possible, and resolve as much as possible. So the amp will have something to feed on.

rriglesias

I bought a Modi 3 and connected to an IMAC via USB, then to powered speakers via RCA out. There is radio frequency interference in the background, if I move the Modi the RFI varies but it's still there. I replaced the RCA cables with shielded ones, tried with a Lenovo Laptop, contacted Schiit CS with no success.

Any suggestions? I am about to ditch the modi and get a Topping D10.

Thanks

Top Bottom