• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Schiit Modi 3 DAC

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So, did the driver change fix the USB linearity issue, too? Also, would it be possible to get an filter response/square wave image, too?
Without the proper ASIO driver, I can't verify USB linearity. But seeing how good S/PDIF is, I think it is a fair assumption that it too would be nearly as good as S/PDIF.

For square wave response, see the review of Schiit Modi Multibit where I also post the Modi 3 response: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-battle-of-schiit-audio-dacs.5487/

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It is not a problem on Windows either for listening. It is an instrumentation issue for me having to need an ASIO driver that works in 24 bit mode which wasn't the case here.

Rollingsound514

Forum Donor
Great info here guys!
Two questions I need help with:
First, I'm using usb audio exclusively on my new modi 3, I also already have a schiit Wyrd available to me. Will it be best to have the Wyrd both power and supply the data for the Modi 3? Or would it still be better to plug the Modi in to the wall using included USB charger (while having Wyrd just supply the data)

Second, when using Tidal desktop app should I pass through MQA to the DAC or have it decoded at the pc level?

Thanks!

derp1n

Wyrd won't do anything, just sell it.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
[...]
First, I'm using usb audio exclusively on my new modi 3, I also already have a schiit Wyrd available to me. Will it be best to have the Wyrd both power and supply the data for the Modi 3? Or would it still be better to plug the Modi in to the wall using included USB charger (while having Wyrd just supply the data)[...]

I think this is why the Wyrd was built for, to supply very clean power for the USB transport, right? At least this is what I recall from Wyrd's specs and FAQ. However, Modi3 is measuring very well anyway, so not sure Wyrd will improve anything here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-of-schiit-modi-3-dac.4742/page-2#post-104838.

Maybe Amir will find some time to test Modi3 with vs. without Wyrd connected in front, although Wyrd should do wonders on USB transports that are not measuring so very well. I do hope the jitter and noise will decrease on these units, but...let's wait for Amir to do some tests. :)

P.S.: I think Schiit explained very pertinent who might get advantages from using Weird in the 3rd paragraph from below. So, I really don't think Wyrd has something to improve on the Modi3, because it measures very well by default.

The Cure for Noise and Glitches
Have you ever heard strange noises from your USB DAC? Or have you had it “drop out” after the computer goes to sleep? Or does your computer have trouble recognizing your DAC at all? It could be due to noisy USB power, or USB port power management. Wyrd has you covered—Wyrd is the only USB decrapifier that includes a linear power supply (not a noisy switcher) and precision 2.5uV LM723 regulators with discrete pass elements for up to 200,000x less noise than what comes out of your USB port, up to 500mA—the full USB 2.0 spec.

Gimme some technical details on what Wyrd does, please?
Wyrd does two things: it replaces the noisy USB power from your computer with a low-noise linear power supply (no switchers here!) with precision regulators rated at 2.5uV RMS noise. (Or, as Mike Moffat says, “on the 8th day, God called National Semiconductor and told them how to make the best regulator in the world, the LM723."). This is literally 200,000x better than some of the USB ports we’ve measured, which have up to 500mV of high-frequency noise. It also uses a tightly spec’d crystal oscillator on its own filtered power supply for the USB repeater chip, for best possible stability.

Are you saying I need to get this thing if I have a USB DAC?
Nope, not at all. Most USB DACs work just fine when running on computer power, without any hitches, glitches, or strange noises. However, if you have USB power problems, this is a great way to eliminate them. Especially if it’s a USB-powered DAC.

L.E.: I'm teasing Amir to start measuring some USB transports/DACs: http://firev1.blogspot.com/2014/11/schiit-wyrd-does-it-work.html. Based on the above article, seems that Tenor 7022 chip might be helped by the Wyrd in a small amount. Perhaps ODAC1 might be needed for such test.

Last edited:

derp1n

The Modi 3 has a switcher internally, so supplying it with a linear PSU is a total waste of time. It even says this in Schiit's FAQ.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Rollingsound514

Forum Donor
I wouldn't spend $180 to improve a $100 DAC. :) That is assuming the USB input on Eithr is better than what is in Modi 3.

Fyi, I just tested the Schiit Wyrd for another take on that: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-measurements-of-schiit-wyrd-usb-filter.5717/
Very cool, I'll try and offload that paperweight then haha. What would you recommend sub 500 dollars for a DAC and amp unbalanced for headphones purely using usb audio? Either a combo or separate units? Thanks!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Very cool, I'll try and offload that paperweight then haha. What would you recommend sub 500 dollars for a DAC and amp unbalanced for headphones purely using usb audio? Either a combo or separate units? Thanks!
I would stay start with a Topping DX3 Pro. That should satisfy your needs as it does mine for $200 to $250. If you then need more power then add the JDS Labs atom for another $99. Even though I have both I only use the DX3 Pro.

I have not yet found a $500 package that I recommend.

Rusty Shackleford

Considering that you already have the Modi 3, I’d suggest adding a dedicated headphone amp rather than buying a new DAC or DAC/amp.

Rollingsound514

Forum Donor
Considering that you already have the Modi 3, I’d suggest adding a dedicated headphone amp rather than buying a new DAC or DAC/amp.

I'm sticking with my Modi 3 and Magni 3 but I've been looking into getting another system for my desk at work and I've only very recently been redpilled on Schiit lol, I have a Modi 2 Uber in my living room setup as well lol (at least the Modi 3 stacks up pretty well against the competition but I had long given Schiit's legacy gear the benefit of the doubt).

I want my home desktop headphone system with my 6XX's to be my A1 set up, desktop at work to be my number 2 with some decent IEMs, and whatever gear I can throw together after that will be sourcing my NAD C320BEE and KEF Q300s in the living room set up (which due to the wife working from home I never get to use anyway). So I guess when they Massdrop the Topping DX3 Pro I'll pick it up and if I like it better it'll be my home desktop system, or if I prefer the Schiit 3 stack I'll it'll stay in place and not go to work lol.

The Topping looks very versatile so who knows where it'll end up.

England66

Hi, I’m very new here and firstly want to say you thank you for such an amazing tech forum.

I do have a question though:
I run Onkyo amp(no dac) with QAcoustics speakers, and normally I stream music from my MBpro 2017 via 3.5mm output.. :( (Tidal)

Would it be ok to use Shiit modi 3 as Dac in my system or should I look at other dacs ? I also read your reviews about Smsl su8v2 .. can I use USB with bith of them? Also I was a bit confused with “headphone dac” definition..
Please help me to choose :)
Thank you

Veri

Master Contributor
Hi, I’m very new here and firstly want to say you thank you for such an amazing tech forum.

I run Onkyo amp(no dac) with QAcoustics speakers, and normally I stream music from my MBpro 2017 via 3.5mm output.. :( (Tidal)

Would it be ok to use Shiit modi 3 as Dac in my system or should I look at other dacs ? I also read your reviews about Smsl su8v2 .. can I use USB with bith of them? Also I was a bit confused with “headphone dac” definition..
Thank you

Is there anything wrong with the 3.5mm output of your laptop? Macbooks tend to have decent audio outputs, so there is likely little gain to be had here. You can connect both the modi and the SU-8 via USB yes, but the SU-8 is mostly worth it for the balanced output. Does your Onkyo have balanced inputs? If no, get the modi 3 (or a khadas tone board, grace SDAC, ... so many options).

But like I said you might not even hear any real difference. honestly

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Thank you
First, does your Onkyo has XLR input? If not, I see no reason to buy a SU8V2.
For less, and a bit more than the Modi 3, I would go for the DX3 Pro. More digital inputs (including Bluetooth Aptx-HD) and a decent headphone amp.
If you are limited to 100$ and don't need and headphone amp, then the Modi 3 is a good option.

A headphone DAC means a DAC with integrated headphone amp.

England66

Is there anything wrong with the 3.5mm output of your laptop? Macbooks tend to have decent audio outputs, so there is likely little gain to be had here. You can connect both the modi and the SU-8 via USB yes, but the SU-8 is mostly worth it for the balanced output. Does your Onkyo have balanced inputs? If no, get the modi 3 (or a khadas tone board, grace SDAC, ... so many options).

But like I said you might not even hear any real difference. honestly
I heard so many bad stories about MB internal audio processing so I thought I might just try external.. My amp doesn’t have balanced inputs, so Im limited to RCA only..

Veri

Master Contributor
I heard so many bad stories about MB internal audio processing so I thought I might just try external.. My amp doesn’t have balanced inputs, so Im limited to RCA only..
By all means try a modi3 or SDAC :) would be good to buy somewhere you can return if you don't hear any improvement though.

Top Bottom