• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Schiit Modi 3 DAC

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
As SegaCD said, they are powered speakers:

1543260334945.png

Any PC speaker with a sub has powered drivers.

teej

I'm still new so maybe I just haven't found it yet but have you tested the Schiit Bifrost (not the multibit), Amir? Or the Korg Ds-DAC-100? Those are my go-to DAC's.

garbulky

Major Contributor
Ya but my speakers are small near-field Logitech 2.1 X230 (costed 50$ 10 years ago), so thought these may work. My use cases will be mostly these Logitech, 20% HD598 / IE80 headphones. Dont want anything which is overkill for these 3.
I’ve used your speakers. Don’t bother with a dac. Not worth it with these.

HeadphoneFan

Conclusions
The S/PDIF performance of Schiit Modi 3 Uber put a smile on my face and easily garners my recommendation for that use. The DAC is a bargain at that price with that level of performance. USB input unfortunately falls behind in my testing, likely due to sensitivity to input noise. Since Schiit doesn't show that problem in their testing, your specific host and DAC configuration may perform better.

EDIT: Using WASAPI instead of ASIO4ALL wrapper (which my analyzer requires) resolved the issue with USB. As such, I am recommending the Schiit Modi 3 without reservations.

I will test Schiit Modi 2 Multibit against this later but for now, I am confident to say that this is the best Modi option to purchase.

On a more general note, it is wonderful to see Schiit taking objective measurements and good engineering practices to heart. We have the tools to make sure our designs are right and a company the size of Schiit needs to design products in this manner. I expect better execution from Schiit in future products.

-----
If you like this review, please consider donating funds using Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/audiosciencereview), or upgrading your membership here though Paypal (https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...eview-and-measurements.2164/page-3#post-59054).

Perhaps the people over at Headfi will see your Magni 3 and Modi 3 reviews and stop criticizing/banning you for your alleged eagerness to Schiit on Schiit.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'm still new so maybe I just haven't found it yet but have you tested the Schiit Bifrost (not the multibit), Amir? Or the Korg Ds-DAC-100? Those are my go-to DAC's.
No I have not. Love to measure the Korg though if someone has one and wants to loan it to me.

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Dear @amirm ,

I just saw that on youtube. :facepalm:

Would you please, if you still have the Modi 3 on hand, MEASURE this statement?: "Modi 3 sounds a bit better"

Thanks.

I use s turntable weight on top of my D10 because it serves similar purpose and why not.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Would you please, if you still have the Modi 3 on hand, MEASURE this statement?: "Modi 3 sounds a bit better"
I own the Modi 3 so sure, I can test. The issue though is that he says it deals with vibrations. So I have to play something on speakers???

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I guess so. Though I don't expect anything to be honest.
Let me see if I can find a simpler way to simulate vibrations and its effect with and without the weight.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
You have to make sure it's music that you really don't like. You don't want any Good Vibrations mucking up the experiment.

I suggest Justin Beiber's Purpose on HDtracks for best results.
You guys are absolutely terrible. We have two dogs here and I could be accused of animal cruelty with above! :D

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Just pound (rap) the table as you test it, and/or observe the output on a 'scope.

Johnb

That weight reminds me of people who put isolation cones under their dacs. Or gold-plated usb cables that bring about a wider soundstage. Alchemy, how I love ya, how I love ya, my sweet Alchemy.

Cable-sniffers of the world unite!

Speaking of hacks, that's what I do before I spit.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
I own the Modi 3 so sure, I can test. The issue though is that he says it deals with vibrations. So I have to play something on speakers???

Put a subwoofer nearby Modi and give it a test. Theoretically, vibrations could interfere with big polarized caps and with some big decoupling caps from inside electronic board, especially inside power amps. There're some docs on the Internet about this, although inside Modi we don't have any of these caps, so measurements should be the same for sure.

Instead, weights on top of subwoofer or speakers could help, as it was proved by Stereophile by measurements: less standing waves and reflections, depending on the cabinets used on really-well-constructed and perfectly dumped cabinets these weights placed on top will have little-to-no effect).

BurritoJustice

Forum Donor
I'm gonna put the doorstop under "may situationally help" on the audiophool scale.

It's like how when I had my Schiit Stack on the table with my router I had to wrap it in alumium foil so I couldn't hear when someone in the house was torrenting :facepalm:

Rusty Shackleford

So, did the driver change fix the USB linearity issue, too? Also, would it be possible to get an filter response/square wave image, too?

Top Bottom