• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Schiit Modi 3 DAC

mshenay

Gee...

TV, Oppo, HDRadio, Cable Box, DEQ2496, miniDSP OpenDRC-DI, CDPlayer - all output S/PDIF or TOSLINK

PC outputs USB

That's a popularity of 8:1 here against USB.

But I don't count, I know...

PS: The PC USB out gets converted to optical, so, make that 9:0 here.

Yup, my TV has TOSLINK. Guess I'll be dropping the Modi 3 into that system lol

Linko994

Hi,
I'm new here (and new to the audiophile community).
So I already have a Schiit Magni 3 and want to get a good but affordable DAC.
I can get a Schiit Modi 3 for ~130€ or a Topping D30 for 105€. Is there any reason (other than looks) why I should go with the Modi 3?
The D30 is 25€ cheaper and I like the fact, that it has a powerswitch.
Or is there another affordable DAC that's worth checking out?

P.S.: Headphones are Fidelio X2 atm, but I'm thinking about getting the Massdrop HD 6XX.

Veri

Master Contributor
Hi,
I'm new here (and new to the audiophile community).
So I already have a Schiit Magni 3 and want to get a good but affordable DAC.
I can get a Schiit Modi 3 for ~130€ or a Topping D30 for 105€. Is there any reason (other than looks) why I should go with the Modi 3?
The D30 is 25€ cheaper and I like the fact, that it has a powerswitch.
Or is there another affordable DAC that's worth checking out?

P.S.: Headphones are Fidelio X2 atm, but I'm thinking about getting the Massdrop HD 6XX.

The modi3 measures pretty well, in optical/spdif better than usb though. The modi simply stacks a lot more elegantly if you already have a magni... otherwise either would do. The SDAC is pretty great value too, as is the Khadas tone board, the JDS OL DAC, or more expensive the DX3Pro or JDS EL Dac. So many options nowadays lol :D

but the modi/magni will make the cleanest looking stack.

Linko994

The modi3 measures pretty well, in optical/spdif better than usb though. The modi simply stacks a lot more elegantly if you already have a magni... otherwise either would do. The SDAC is pretty great value too, as is the Khadas tone board, the JDS OL DAC, or more expensive the DX3Pro or JDS EL Dac. So many options nowadays lol :D

but the modi/magni will make the cleanest looking stack.

I'd probably use optical anyway, so I can control it through my Focusrite Scarlett Interface. And that is the reason I didn't go for the SDAC, because I at least want to have the option of doing that. JDS OL DAC seems nice, but I'm not sure where to get it in Germany and ordering from the US would make it more expensive than the Modi 3.

So yeah basically it's between get a better looking stack or save 25€ for me...

Veri

Master Contributor
I'd probably use optical anyway, so I can control it through my Focusrite Scarlett Interface. And that is the reason I didn't go for the SDAC, because I at least want to have the option of doing that. JDS OL DAC seems nice, but I'm not sure where to get it in Germany and ordering from the US would make it more expensive than the Modi 3.

So yeah basically it's between get a better looking stack or save 25€ for me...
I know many people on reddit /r/headphones have the topping/magni stack so it doesn't look too bad I'm sure.

hrbngr

I am also nervously awaiting the Modi Multibit DAC review. I bought the Jotunheim--that I now need to ground properly--and the Modi Multibit and then ended up having to buy their USB Wyrd b/c i could not get rid of the hum in the ear phones. At least I found this site, so that moving forward I can find a good DAC to plug into my PC then amp the Sennheisers I picked up from Massdrop. I might just get the Topping DX3Pro DAC and somehow attempt to sell the Jot and Multibit...though obviously not on this site!!! :)

hrbngr

Thanks Amir, thanks to you I already got onto the drop for the Massdrop x THX AAA 789 Linear Amplifier and Topping DX3 Pro DAC/Amp, ?? Merry Xmas to me??? Hoping Massdrop will add some sort of warranty to the Topping so that I get a replacement if it's DOA for some reason.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks Amir, thanks to you I already got onto the drop for the Massdrop x THX AAA 789 Linear Amplifier and Topping DX3 Pro DAC/Amp, ?? Merry Xmas to me??? Hoping Massdrop will add some sort of warranty to the Topping so that I get a replacement if it's DOA for some reason.
You will have a merry Christmas for sure! With electronics if they are not defective, you can expect pretty long life especially in low power devices like DACs. Massdrop should cover any infant mortality. So you should be good.

hrbngr

Yes, Massdrop has been pretty good, especially if you are in the US.

Still crossing my fingers that the Multibit will somehow come close to the Modi 3 so that I have will have a prayer of selling it on Head-Fi.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Still crossing my fingers that the Multibit will somehow come close to the Modi 3 so that I have will have a prayer of selling it on Head-Fi.
It won't but head-fi people will buy it anyway.

Veri

Master Contributor
Note that modi multibit ordered from late July 2018 has a V2 firmware that measures better, it's the one they measured in schiit's new AP reports.

Stealth upgrade of course, because why keep your customers up to date...

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Note that modi multibit from august2018 has a V2 firmware that measures better, it's the one they measured in schiit's new AP reports.
How do you upgrade the original version?

dscuser

Amir kaise ho?

I have a budget of 200$ max and want something small for my desktop speakers. Currently using onboard sound, so I guess DAC is first upgrade I should consider (Maybe amp also). So with that in mind, between iDSD Nano Black Label vs Modi3+Magni3 what should i choose? I am leaning towards iDSD because it is 1 small product instead of Modi/Magni being 2 big products. Is there anything better than iDSD at 200$ price point?

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amir kaise ho?

I have a budget of 200$ max and want something small for my desktop speakers. Currently using onboard sound, so I guess DAC is first upgrade I should consider (Maybe amp also). So with that in mind, between iDSD Black Label vs Modi3+Magni3 what should i choose? I am leaning towards iDSD because it is 1 small product instead of Modi/Magni being 2 big products. Is there anything better than iDSD at 200$ price point?
The products you list are headphone amplifiers, not speaker amplifiers. Regardless, for something small, I would look at Topping DX3 Pro.

dscuser

The products you list are headphone amplifiers, not speaker amplifiers. Regardless, for something small, I would look at Topping DX3 Pro.
Ya but my speakers are small near-field Logitech 2.1 X230 (costed 50$ 10 years ago), so thought these may work. My use cases will be mostly these Logitech, 20% HD598 / IE80 headphones. Dont want anything which is overkill for these 3.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Ya but my speakers are small near-field Logitech 2.1 X230 (costed 50$ 10 years ago), so thought these may work. My use cases will be mostly these Logitech, 20% HD598 / IE80 headphones. Dont want anything which is overkill for these 3.
Ah, those are powered speakers so you are fine driving them with these products. My recommendation for DX3 Pro stands as the smallest cleanest configuration. In the future if you need more power, you can always add an amp to it like the JDS Atom.

dscuser

SegaCD

These are not powered speakers. Below is the link (they are comparable to normal 250-300$ desktop speakers):
https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-2-Piece-Speakers-Ported-Subwoofer/dp/B0002SQ0A4

"32 watts total power (6 watts x 2 + 20 watts)"

"Question: what's the voltage range for AC input? 110v-240v?
Answer: 110v"

These are powered speakers with built-in amplification. They are not passive speakers. They are OK for general use, but don't compare to true $300 speakers like the Pioneer SP-BS22A-LRs for example or some nice, used, cheap Advent Powered Partners, for example.

(Also, hello all on Audio Science Review. Came out of the depths to hopefully participate in the extremely helpful discussions on here!)

Top Bottom