• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Schiit Modi 3 DAC

Agent K

I bought a Modi 3 and connected to an IMAC via USB, then to powered speakers via RCA out. There is radio frequency interference in the background, if I move the Modi the RFI varies but it's still there. I replaced the RCA cables with shielded ones, tried with a Lenovo Laptop, contacted Schiit CS with no success.

Any suggestions? I am about to ditch the modi and get a Topping D10.

Thanks
Which model of iMac do you have? You may have a digital output with your headphone jack, so you can use a mini Toslink to Toslink cable instead of the USB one.

ClosDeLaRoche

I see there is a lot of discussion on ASIO4ALL vs WASAPI with this DAC.

I am having a problem with WASAPI and I hope someone can help!

WASAPI Push sounds fine, but WASAPI Event only works with 44.1k audio. Anything with a higher sampling rate sounds like a garbled mess.

What could be causing this? Is using WASAPI Push mode ok or will I see the kinds of problems Amir is seeing with ASIO?

Veri

Master Contributor
I see there is a lot of discussion on ASIO4ALL vs WASAPI with this DAC.

I am having a problem with WASAPI and I hope someone can help!

WASAPI Push sounds fine, but WASAPI Event only works with 44.1k audio. Anything with a higher sampling rate sounds like a garbled mess.

This foobar by chance? Foobar2000's WASAPI component is famously bugged in its event mode with many audio drivers. Its last update was in 2017.
Fix is easy though. Just use WASAPI's push mode.

Last edited:

ClosDeLaRoche

This foobar by chance? Foobar2000's WASAPI component is famously bugged in its event mode with many audio drivers. Its last update was in 2017.

Fix is easy though. Just use WASAPI's push mode.
Yes foobar, thank you I'll stick to Push.

RockonCrouton

I have two options to connect my Modi 3 to my computer. I can either use a Toslink or USB cable. After reading the review and seeing the results of using WASAPI, what would be the best solution? I didnt see any measurements using toslink so I wasnt sure.

Last edited:

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have two options to connect my Modi 3 to my computer. I can either use a Toslink or USB cable. After reading the review and seeing seeing the results of using WASAP, I what would be the best solution? I didnt see any measurements using toslink so I wasnt sure.

go for Toslink. U will avoid potential ground loops.

Smychavo

Heyo, first time posting here!
While I have been looking at options that would replace the current DAC in my setup, which is the Apple USB-C to 3.5mm adapter, the more pressing question that I end up with is whether or not it is worth upgrading from the DAC in the first place. I've heard that supposedly output voltage for the dongle is lower than any desktop DAC, but I'm not sure how that would translate into real usage.
Additionally, some folks have stated that they hear some compression issues on the Modi 3, and to look for something else, though I'm doubting their claims considering that the measurements here don't seem to show much of anything to me at least that there is such an issue present, at least, that's what I think. Would really appreciate any sort of correction or clarification regarding these statements.

Veri

Master Contributor
Heyo, first time posting here!
While I have been looking at options that would replace the current DAC in my setup, which is the Apple USB-C to 3.5mm adapter, the more pressing question that I end up with is whether or not it is worth upgrading from the DAC in the first place. I've heard that supposedly output voltage for the dongle is lower than any desktop DAC, but I'm not sure how that would translate into real usage.
Additionally, some folks have stated that they hear some compression issues on the Modi 3, and to look for something else, though I'm doubting their claims considering that the measurements here don't seem to show much of anything to me at least that there is such an issue present, at least, that's what I think. Would really appreciate any sort of correction or clarification regarding these statements.
What headphones do you use? The lower output of the Apple dongle would make for lower output in a 1.00x unity gain stage. For demanding headphones you will always need 'high' gain turned on, for ultra demanding headphones you might not get loud enough output. But, for $9 you might as well give it a try, no ;)

About the modi3 sounding compressed, that sounds like bull. It's a perfectly 'normal' DAC..

Smychavo

What headphones do you use? The lower output of the Apple dongle would make for lower output in a 1.00x unity gain stage. For demanding headphones you will always need 'high' gain turned on, for ultra demanding headphones you might not get loud enough output. But, for $9 you might as well give it a try, no ;)

About the modi3 sounding compressed, that sounds like bull. It's a perfectly 'normal' DAC..

Since I'm only just starting out, I'm using the Hifiman HE4XX. It's been noted that they're pretty easy to drive for a planar headphone, but it seems weird that I'd have to turn the pot on my Asgard 3 to high gain 10'o-clock for it to get pleasingly loud enough.
I kinda figured just going off measurements that it shouldn't have any such problems, but from the few folks I've talked to they're insistent there is some form of compression, and it'd be better to buy an SMSL M100, or the ifi Zen DAC. Honestly, I was really skeptical about their claims, but then again, who am I to really know, I'm only just beginning with this stuff after all-

Veri

Master Contributor
I kinda figured just going off measurements that it shouldn't have any such problems, but from the few folks I've talked to they're insistent there is some form of compression, and it'd be better to buy an SMSL M100, or the ifi Zen DAC. Honestly, I was really skeptical about their claims, but then again, who am I to really know, I'm only just beginning with this stuff after all-

I would at least try the $9 apple dongle (or the $22 meizu usb-c dongle). If that somehow doesn't yield enough power, you can always try a $100 dac like schiit modi3, SMSL M100 or topping d10 (watch out for fake aimpire d10). I wouldn't go for the subpar Zen DAC.

Smychavo

I would at least try the $9 apple dongle (or the $22 meizu usb-c dongle). If that somehow doesn't yield enough power, you can always try a $100 dac like schiit modi3, SMSL M100 or topping d10 (watch out for fake aimpire d10). I wouldn't go for the subpar Zen DAC.

To clarify, I already have the dongle in my current chain. What I'm questioning right now is whether the Modi and it's derivatives are worthwhile upgrades to a desktop DAC considering the already capable specs of the dongle.

Darvantus

Since I'm only just starting out, I'm using the Hifiman HE4XX. It's been noted that they're pretty easy to drive for a planar headphone, but it seems weird that I'd have to turn the pot on my Asgard 3 to high gain 10'o-clock for it to get pleasingly loud enough.

So first time responding, but long time lurker, but i feel like i can actually provide input. The He4xx are easy to drive, but have very low sensitivity, meaning they take more and more power to get louder. Much more than other high impedance headphones. The Sennheiser 6xx for example are 300ohm (meaning they are hard to get clear signal to) but 103 dB/mW, makes them easier to gain volume, while the HE4xx have a sensitivity of 93dB/mW, so much much less sensitive to changes.

formdissolve

Forum Donor
To clarify, I already have the dongle in my current chain. What I'm questioning right now is whether the Modi and it's derivatives are worthwhile upgrades to a desktop DAC considering the already capable specs of the dongle.

Modi doesn't have headphone out, so in that case a decent upgrade would be the standard Fulla they sell.

Smychavo

Modi doesn't have headphone out, so in that case a decent upgrade would be the standard Fulla they sell.
About that, I run a Asgard 3 as a dedicated headamp for my PC. As far as I can tell, there really isn't anything differentiating the dongle from others outside of input, so it's becoming hard to justify spending any more unless there is a clear sonic benefit. That being said, that also is quite the long shot.

formdissolve

Forum Donor
About that, I run a Asgard 3 as a dedicated headamp for my PC. As far as I can tell, there really isn't anything differentiating the dongle from others outside of input, so it's becoming hard to justify spending any more unless there is a clear sonic benefit. That being said, that also is quite the long shot.

At that rate, if you don't need coaxial or optical, you can buy their AKM dac card for $100 and install it yourself. https://www.schiit.com/products/ak4490-dac-card

As for the sonic difference, that's up to you :D I wasn't a huge fan of the type-c converter, but my phones are hard to drive and it was kinda flat.

Top Bottom