• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Schiit Jotunheim With AK4490 DAC

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

gvl

Major Contributor
Any Schiit preamps in the pipeline? Eg the Freya?

BurritoJustice

Forum Donor
I wonder @amirm if you shouldn't better stop refering to a hardware that is not any longer available in the market, I feel it is a bit unfair, .... isn't it?

The public opinion on the 789 has reached a critical mass as it receives praise both from objectivists and subjectivists. ZeosPantera has a huge use base that is notorious for cleaning out the stock of anything he recommends, and he believes it to be the best amp ever made.

Due to this, demand is insanely high (5000 requests). If they list a small amount from continuous production then it will be a rush of scalping and disappointed customers. Delaying the drop so that it can meet acute demand more consistently is a logical, consumer friendly way.

BigBeard

I have a 5 year old bifrost uber (didferent chip than the ak4490...forgot which one exactly) and an asgard 2 from the same year, which i can send in if anyone is curious.

qobopod

what makes the XLR output “incorrectly called balanced?” the FAQ on product page seems to assert that it is truly balanced. https://www.schiit.com/products/jotunheim

>But this is probably a “fake” balanced amp, right, where you convert from balanced to single-ended and back again?
Nope. When we say, “balanced, differential,” we say what we mean, and mean what we say.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
what makes the XLR output “incorrectly called balanced?” the FAQ on product page seems to assert that it is truly balanced. https://www.schiit.com/products/jotunheim

>But this is probably a “fake” balanced amp, right, where you convert from balanced to single-ended and back again?
Nope. When we say, “balanced, differential,” we say what we mean, and mean what we say.
The connection to a headphone is always balanced regardless of the amplifier topology. The word "balance" was therefore incorrectly invented with respect to how the technology always worked.

Ralf Stocker

This great chip is used in analysis devices. A good example of very bad engineering. The measured values are horrible. The noise level is very high.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I cannot recommend Schiit Jotunheim in any configuration for purchase.
Oh boy, here we go. You've done it again Amir. ;)

Snafu

I had Freya for a test year ago, just horrible sensitivity to, well, anything. Even touching power/rca cables or knockin equipment rack caused buzzing ( that it had already, floor noise was really bad). I returned it to schiit.eu and they said "Freya was ok, rest of your system just didn't match with it" :rolleyes:

That was third schiit gear i had and returned. Reading schiit forums also gives you some idea how often their products have some kind of fault.
Freya was so good looking i actually wanted it, but after that experience, i'm done with their products.

Would be really interesting to see Freyas measurements, it has three different pre-amp stages (passive, j-fet and tube) so you can compare them too.

cheers and thanks

yummy

you can't keep attacking schiit (even if you think you aren't, THEY, the big THEY are thinking doing this is attacking), we already know the true color since the beginning, no need to look a slightly further eye in it

Gomjab

you can't keep attacking schiit (even if you think you aren't, THEY, the big THEY are thinking doing this is attacking), we already know the true color since the beginning, no need to look a slightly further eye in it
If they start making more decent stuff then Amir’s reviews will help them. I bought a Modi3 based on Amir’s review. I wish I knew about this site before I bought my Jotunheim which Amir just kindly reviewed.

MusicNBeer

Forum Donor
I really want a more affordable option than Benchmark and Bryston for top quality gear made in US/Canada but this Schiit ain't it unfortunately. Time for them to hire an experienced analog/digital HW designer.

Music1969

Major Contributor
The bigger issue beyond fidelity is safety though. A metal enclosure needs to be full grounded to mains safety pin and in this case, it is not. The case is insulated due to finish on the top lid so it does not make electrical contact with the safety ground pin on the IEC outlet.

Hi Amir

I've never understood the technical aspect of this (quote) and I've seen you mention it a few times (unfortunate for Schiit, mostly with their products! lol).

As an example, I have the THX 789 headphone amp. It has a metal case that doesn't have an AC earth pin on the SMPS.

So the metal case does not make contact with an AC earth (doesn't have an AC earth) - how is this different to the Schiit?

I'm asking genuinely - I'm sure there is something very basic that I'm missing.

Is it something to do with the SMPS (of my THX 789 or most SMPS's) being galvanically isolated internally? If so, how does that help, from a safety perspective?

Many thanks again

solderdude

Grand Contributor
When a device has metal parts that people can touch (casing for instance) and has a mains voltage coming into it that enclosure must be connected to safety ground (3rd pin) on the mains plug.

When an external PS is used that is galvanically separated (transformer or SMPS with low leakage) and that PS has metal parts that can be touched then that PS must have the enclosure connected to safety ground.

When that PS is double isolated (plastic enclosure) this is not needed as a user cannot touch any parts that may have become electrified when the gear is connected incorrectly or developped a fault in such a way that live mains may have come in contact with a conducting enclosure.

So when a low voltage (through a PS) is going into a device, even when it has metal parts that can be touched, a connection to safety ground (3rd prong) is not needed.
It is only needed when mains voltages go into the device directly. A preventive measure must be taken which is ALL metal parts that can be touched must be grounded. Not just a few metal parts that can be touched.

Then there is another ground thing. This involves hum. A metal enclosure, to provide screening, must be connected to the common/groundplane/signal ground if you want to avoid hum when touching the metal parts or volpot or so. This is called signal ground. With all metal gear usually there is a direct connection between safety ground and signal ground but with some devices this can be separated (ground lift switch but the enclosure MUST remain connected to safety ground = PE = Protective Earth).
Some devices have these grounds coupled using capacitors, resistors or inductors.

2 different grounds.
Safety ground and signal ground.

Last edited:
Top Bottom