• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Schiit Eitr USB to S/PDIF Bridge

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Wait!?!?!?! Why didn't you test the Eitr vs the xUSB?
:(
Should also test it against DX7S Coax output.

bennetng

Major Contributor
Stacking three Schiits and the name "Eitr"... reminds me of The Human Centipede.

index.php

Veri

Master Contributor
Compared to their respective USB input options, and to Schiit DACs with the USB Gen 2 and 3 boards, the raw character of the DACs doesn’t really change here, but there’s a discernible improvement in resolution/detail, and in the case of Bifrost MB, Gungnir MB and Spring DAC a blacker background. And, in all cases, protracted listening sessions generally left me with a sense that the overall presentation was smoother and easier to lose myself in and any sense of "edginess" to the music was gone.

Note that this is all possible if the USB mode you are comparing to is far from perfect. A good DAC though, should perform just fine on USB, or as amir has proven a good USB implementation can beat the optical as implemented in the eitr.

Buying an extra device shouldn't be necessary if the USB part is properly implemented in the first place. If you cannot trust the manufacturer to have done that part right, or rather than right at the very least not as terrible as in the modi USB, I wouldn't hold my breath for all other functionality, honestly.

Last edited:

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Compared to their respective USB input options, and to Schiit DACs with the USB Gen 2 and 3 boards, the raw character of the DACs doesn’t really change here, but there’s a discernible improvement in resolution/detail, and in the case of Bifrost MB, Gungnir MB and Spring DAC a blacker background. And, in all cases, protracted listening sessions generally left me with a sense that the overall presentation was smoother and easier to lose myself in and any sense of "edginess" to the music was gone.
They have designed their horrible products to scale with price, starting with Modi you have lost quality vs an onboard sound card... but likely your headphones will sound better since you will be using a real amp and things will be louder.
Then there on they just market the crap out of all their "better" products and each product tier has an improvement until you get to Yggdrasil which restores all 16 bits of resolution back.
So basically their entire product stack is a scam because if you are like me and you bought a FiiO K1 first and then a Fulla 2 and then a Topping D30 and then a Modi Multibit.... well you can "hear" right through the scam because the Fulla 2 and Modi Multibit will have noticeable reduction in details vs a FiiO K1 or Topping D30 (which will coincidentally sound basically the same, especially with more entry level headphones w/ low impedance)

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

sonci

Are we doing a lot of publicity to Schit products here? Good or bad, it's the most named brand here,
After reading all these reviews I'm really considering one..;)

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Are we doing a lot of publicity to Schit products here? Good or bad, it's the most named brand here,
LOL
Just makes sense since its the most shilled stuff around that it would be the most requested to test.

Wombat

Master Contributor

Remember, as you get rid of it, the past participle of Schiit is Schaat. :facepalm:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That quote was much more convincing before the massively publicized closing of Ringling Brothers & Barnum and Bailey Circus.
Just another indication mergers usually go wrong and kill good companies with good ideas. ;)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Remember, as you get rid of it, the past participle of Schiit is Schaat. :facepalm:
Just hope they don't come out with a product called the Enema.

They probably won't as it doesn't fit with the Nordic mythos naming convention.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Just hope they don't come out with a product called the Enema.

They probably won't as it doesn't fit with the Nordic mythos naming convention.

Not being sure which language is appropriate, the translation could be Klyster or Lavemang

έχω δίκιο

Just another indication mergers usually go wrong and kill good companies with good ideas. ;)
When discussing Schiit Audio products, much more appropriate P.T. Barnum quotes would be:
“Nobody ever lost a dollar by underestimating the taste of the American public.”
“There's a sucker born every minute.”

Top Bottom