• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Schiit Aegir PWR Amplifier

m8o

Forum Donor
What is it with Schiit and power supply hum?

Don't get me wrong. I'd buy this. Seems like a great value for more than respectable performance. Just seems from dacs on down, measurements on a whole display more ps sourced harmonics entering into the audio playback vs. everyone else. My Mjolnir gen 1 is the only HP amp I have where this can be invoked when used with my iSines, too.

Last edited:

pocoloco

What is the most cost effective way to go from an unbalanced signal (RCA out) to a differential balanced signal (XLR in) to use the Aegir as a monoblock? All my sources are unbalanced and I want to use Aegir's as monos but don't want to have to buy a Freya.

m8o

Forum Donor
What is the most cost effective way to go from an unbalanced signal (RCA out) to a differential balanced signal (XLR in) ...

Search ebay or your favorite audio resale site for

aphex 124a

It's likely several decades of music you have bought have passed thru its circuits.

Veri

Master Contributor
For a headphone amp those will do but for a poweramp it's supposedly a big No-no, you want a reference to ground. RCA is 1-pin: no hot+cold, no ground.

An active converter can provide an actual differential output. @WolfX-700 measured a pretty good one btw, but I'm not sure where to order them to US/EU.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurements-of-transaudio(china)drv134-rca-to-xlr-adaptor-converter.9948/

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
And oh, I set up a nasty contraption to take the shots you see in this review. My wife has not seen it yet but I am sure once she does, you can add being homeless to the list of reasons I need money from you all! Hope you are happy pushing me in this direction!!!

Ah! There is nothing like Amir recommending Schiit product. I laughed. :D

yodog

skypickle

Schit writes this on their website:

Power That Scales

Aegir provides 20W into 8 ohms, doubling to 40W into 4 ohms. Run mono, and you’ll see 80W into 8 ohms. Best of all, Continuity ensures you see Class-A-like performance at all these power outputs

What is 'Class - A - like performance' supposed to mean to me?

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Schit writes this on their website:

Power That Scales
Aegir provides 20W into 8 ohms, doubling to 40W into 4 ohms. Run mono, and you’ll see 80W into 8 ohms. Best of all, Continuity ensures you see Class-A-like performance at all these power outputs

What is 'Class - A - like performance' supposed to mean to me?

In a small room it means no need to run a heater in the winter.

Panelhead

Forum Donor
A transformer is the easy way to convert SE to balanced. Can minimize hum also.
8C4108FF-F9C4-456D-956F-7228DF21DB1A.jpeg

I built these to connect a balanced dac to a pair of single ended (RCA jack) amplifiers. Used Gotham GAC-3 cable for these. The GAC-3 has three conductors and a double served shield.
Connected the shield and one conductor to neutral on the balanced plug (TRS). Hooked up + & - to the center pins on the RCA’s and the shield to one and the third conductor to the ground pin of the other. The shells of the RCA jacks tied together by a ground plane,.

Veri

Master Contributor
A transformer is the easy way to convert SE to balanced. Can minimize hum also.
Even the best, most expensive have only "good" low-end performance though and around 100dB maximum SINAD. Good enough resolution for 16-bit audio but not more. Some measurements here: https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...sen-transformers-technical-measurements.7017/
In any case, transformers are good and can be perfectly transparent, but I think they can hurt performance if you have some top of the line gear.

archerious

Hmm, this or NC252MP?

James Romeyn

Dealer
With "clipping" defined as...THD+noise...1%,...with both channels driven...Aegir exceeded its specified power...clipping at 28Wpc...Into 4 ohms...43Wpc...distortion is very low at all powers below clipping. In mono...Schiit says...80W into 8 ohms...in mono mode...Aegir's protection circuitry cut off the output at 49Wpc into 8 ohms.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/schiit-audio-aegir-power-amplifier-measurements

Remarkably different vs. Amir's test. Anyone want to speculate why? Did Schiit give Sphile a "ringer?"
Atkinson @ 1% THD: 28/43W@ 8/4 ohm
BTL: over current @ 49W @ 8 ohm (80W spec -2.25 dB), no 4 ohm result

CabeAllen

Need opinions:
I would love to purchase a Schiit Aegir. Really can only afford one for now, with a preamp. Do you think I can get by with one for now if I have the following criteria?:
89 dB sensitivity bookshelf speakers
Powered subwoofer handling lowest frequencies
Measured loudest SPL I normally ever listen to is about 80dB (measured 1 m from speaker), 85dB in very rare circumstances.
Preamp would either be a Saga + or Freya +
Room is large, but the setup is a "mid-field" type, about 7-8' away from 7' spread speakers. 80db @ 1m is plenty volume for me normally.

A Vidar would solve the power problem, but if I am spending about the same for 1 amplifier, I want the midrange tonality of the Aegir. One good thing is that I can always add another down the line. But, I would like to enjoy music with one until that time comes.

ptong

Need opinions:
I would love to purchase a Schiit Aegir. Really can only afford one for now, with a preamp. Do you think I can get by with one for now if I have the following criteria?:
89 dB sensitivity bookshelf speakers
Powered subwoofer handling lowest frequencies
Measured loudest SPL I normally ever listen to is about 80dB (measured 1 m from speaker), 85dB in very rare circumstances.
Preamp would either be a Saga + or Freya +
Room is large, but the setup is a "mid-field" type, about 7-8' away from 7' spread speakers. 80db @ 1m is plenty volume for me normally.

A Vidar would solve the power problem, but if I am spending about the same for 1 amplifier, I want the midrange tonality of the Aegir. One good thing is that I can always add another down the line. But, I would like to enjoy music with one until that time comes.

Suggestion: Skip the preamp (Freya+), and buy 2 Aegirs. I'm about to buy the Aegirs too. Given the specs (and this review), I don't think they can handle <90dB speakers in a large room. To control volume, use software or your DAC (if it has a volume control). Possible trade-off: coupling between DAC and Aegir amps not as effective.

NightFlight

Suggestion: Skip the preamp (Freya+), and buy 2 Aegirs. I'm about to buy the Aegirs too. Given the specs (and this review), I don't think they can handle <90dB speakers in a large room. To control volume, use software or your DAC (if it has a volume control). Possible trade-off: coupling between DAC and Aegir amps not as effective.

I have the Freya, 1 Aegir, 1 Vidar. Elac DBR62s. I use an Emotiva XDA-2. I think I tried without a pre, but I think it dumps DC on power on, sooo. Its dangerous living. I'd have to try again with a pair of cheap speakers to see.

Will be going back and forth between the Aegir and Vidar for a while. The difference is fairly clear cut subjectively. Just a matter of what I like more.

tomchr

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Is there no speaker protection circuit?

Tom

Top Bottom