• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Sabaj D5 DAC & Amp

gvl

Major Contributor
Could you explain me tour opinion?

The differences between these DACs are well below what human hearing can detect, according to measurements. Both perform at the limit of today’s technology, they will sound the same if properly level matched.

officialsm

The differences between these DACs are well below what human hearing can detect, according to measurements. Both perform at the limit of today’s technology, they will sound the same if properly level matched.

So Will be no reason ti but a dac that costs 30% more

gvl

Major Contributor
So Will be no reason ti but a dac that costs 30% more

If both are shown to have good technical performance beyond audibility thresholds and both have the features you need then no, from the rational POV anyway.

Enkay25

I have both.

There is very subtle differences that I could find between them sonically.

However these are the physical differences between them:

1. Sabaj D5 is bigger, heavier and feels more sturdy built. The power cable is thicker and 3 pin.

2. D90se feels lighter, smaller and feels more compact. The power cable is 2 pin and feels little cheaper.

3. Volume knob is better on D90se. D5 knob as the 'step and springy' feel. D90se feels more smooth and fine controlled. (Sonically however both are same)

4. D5 is more complete with the headphone amplifier.

5. D5 does not have 5v xlr output mode.

6. Given the price difference, D5 is more suited for budget constraints

I may be wrong, somehow I am getting a feeling Topping is going towards more 'premium pricing'

gvl

Major Contributor
I tend to think the D90SE is somewhat overpriced too, but it has MQA which adds to the cost.

The D5 is a solid DAC, I have some subjective reservations about its headphone amp but it’s definitely more than capable.

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I tend to think the D90SE is somewhat overpriced too, but it has MQA which adds to the cost.
There are cheaper models right? I don't really see why D90se is got compared to.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I have both.

1. Sabaj D5 is bigger, heavier and feels more sturdy built. The power cable is thicker and 3 pin.

2. D90se feels lighter, smaller and feels more compact. The power cable is 2 pin and feels little cheaper.

3. Volume knob is better on D90se. D5 knob as the 'step and springy' feel. D90se feels more smooth and fine controlled. (Sonically however both are same)

I may be wrong, somehow I am getting a feeling Topping is going towards more 'premium pricing'
There are EX5, E50, D30pro, D10 Balanced that cost considerably lower than D90se.

gvl

Major Contributor
There are cheaper models right? I don't really see why D90se is got compared to.

Hardware wise it doesn’t have much more than the DX7 Pro or the D5 for that matter, perhaps even less considering the headphone amp, but costs significantly more. I don’t have a problem with it, but it does feel overpriced regardless.

officialsm

I have both.

Of you think about instruments details, sound agility, soundstage and black between instruments therr are relevant differences?
Considering that which one di you suggest to buy?

Enkay25

Of you think about instruments details, sound agility, soundstage and black between instruments therr are relevant differences?
Considering that which one di you suggest to buy?

I find a little better resolution and transparency with d90se. But I may be imagining them with the knowledge that it has lower noise floor (?inaudible)

Given a choice I would choose D5 because of it being a complete package (with head-hone ampiflier) and half the price of D90se. If Bluetooth is required than D5 does not have it. (I use a separate Bluetooth device with Apte-hd

officialsm

I find a little better resolution and transparency with d90se. But I may be imagining them with the knowledge that it has lower noise floor (?inaudible)

Given a choice I would choose D5 because of it being a complete package (with head-hone ampiflier) and half the price of D90se. If Bluetooth is required than D5 does not have it. (I use a separate Bluetooth device with Apte-hd

Thank you. I dont Need headphone amp. Higher price will justify better sound of d90se?

Enkay25

There are EX5, E50, D30pro, D10 Balanced that cost considerably lower than D90se.
I usually don’t comment much. But yes I do buy Topping products.
I do hope that @JohnYang1997 that you find some merit of some of our comments…on why we feel topping d90se is ‘overpriced’. But let it be clear I am not dishing your products or your commercial philosophy and marketing principles. Maybe I am getting a feel that you are going towards a more premium and niche market with your flagship products (which is entirely not wrong from your company’s perspective). It’s just that there is a nagging feeling cropping up. That’s all.

Hope you take this in good faith and an honest feedback from a buyer who loves your product. (I started with a humble NX4 dsd)

But then also one understand that Chinese companies are catering to all the various levels of markets…..and bringing a lot of competing products, much like in the smartphone industry.

Btw I am patiently waiting for your Power Amp ( a GaN/Hypex/Puriti or any other superb measuring amplifier implementation.

Enkay25

Thank you. I dont Need headphone amp. Higher price will justify better sound of d90se?
D90se is the best measuring DAC currently. So if you want the best, I guess.
But sonically it may not be much different.

I guess just go with what you require and compare the specs.

I love my stack of Topping D90se+Topping A90.

officialsm

D90se is the best measuring DAC currently. So if you want the best, I guess.
But sonically it may not be much different.

I guess just go with what you require and compare the specs.

I love my stack of Topping D90se+Topping A90.

At the Moment amplifier Is Cambridge CXA81. By the end of the year i would likes ti buy Naim (XS3 or used Supernait2). Speakers Tannoy xt-6f.

Warrant

The D5 price on Amazon is only 20 euros more than the Topping EX5 now. Which of the two would you pick?

Enkay25

The D5 price on Amazon is only 20 euros more than the Topping EX5 now. Which of the two would you pick?
By performance? D5

But if you want new and other subjective features then E5.:)

It will be according to one's choice ultimately

Top Bottom