• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Sabaj D5 DAC & Amp

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
Did you mean the USB input? Or are you using the I2S input (the value and use of which eludes me as it is such a specialized input and doesn't support HDMI even though the connectivity is the same)... ?
Yes, the hdmi input on the D5 coming from a usb/spdif.
For the second part of you question : i have 3 devices connected to the usb/spdif converter : 1 external recorder via coax, 1 dac via hdmi (computer sabaj) and one dac on the other side of the room in my audio/video setup via AES.
In order to be able to play DSD i have to use the hdmi connection input on the Sabaj. Via the remaining optical only dsd 64 is supported via the usb/spdif device.
The Sabaj shows correct sample rates when connected via usb direct to the computer playing both dop and native DSD. However due to my setup it's not practical to change cables everytime i want to listen to DSD.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have no complaints about performance, however one detail keeps annoying me.

Which is why most Amir & most of the regulars here recommend choosing a DAC based on features and qualities rather than non-existent sonic differences.
This Sabaj unit measures really well and is 1/7th the price. Wonder how it sounds?
Exactly the same as any other good DAC - unless there electrical or data-source incompatibilities. LINK

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I own the D5 for about 4 months now.
I have no complaints about performance, however one detail keeps annoying me.
No mather what you feed the dac via hdmi input the display will show it's receiving dsd signals when using 44.1khz or multiples of it, feeding it with 48khz or multiples it just shows "connected".
- feeding pcm 44.1 shows 2.8224 Mhz
- feeding pcm 48 shows "connected" no sample rate
- feeding pcm 88.2 shows 5.611 Mhz
- feeding pcm 96 shows "connected" no sample rate
- feeding pcm 176.4 shows 11.2896 Mhz
- feeding pcm 196 shows "connected" no sample rate
- feeding mp3 320 kbps shows "connected" no sample rate

Informed Sabaj on april 8 and got this answer :

"Because your output machine does not output DSD and PCM identification signals, the sampling rate of our machine Sabaj D5 will not display properly. However, this is just a sampling rate display that does not affect the normal playback and performance of the Sabaj D5."
Thinking about this, I think they are right in that the serial interface in I^2S may be at the rates the unit is displaying. It has no idea of the original PCM sample rate that was converted by the upstream device.

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Guessing single ES9038 Pro chip for that price? Not that it matters, it's specs are dynamite, be it single or dual DAC, better than the Oppo 205 which was the original King around here.

Kane1972

If Sabaj could make a DAC only version for day $300, that would be amazing.

Kane1972

So can you sum up in which areas this (the D5) beats or loses out to the Topping D70 (as a DAC obviously)? I was sure I read that the RCA outputs were not great on the D70, but I just checked your review again and could not find that, so I'm thinking I was getting confused with another of your reviews.

I want a DAC that has great RCA output to use with the JDS Atom, but also XLR outputs to use with powered monitors. I'll be using it for mixing music.

I will wait for the SMSL M500 test first though, but be great to know which is the front runner out of the D5 and D70?

Thanks

graz_lag

Major Contributor
I'd pay an extra $200 to not have the aesthetic of the m500. Man that thing is ugly lol

... and that MQA logo - or whatever it is, makes it even uglier ...

1566120961591.png

DeepSpace57

So can you sum up in which areas this (the D5) beats or loses out to the Topping D70 (as a DAC obviously)? I was sure I read that the RCA outputs were not great on the D70, but I just checked your review again and could not find that, so I'm thinking I was getting confused with another of your reviews.

I want a DAC that has great RCA output to use with the JDS Atom, but also XLR outputs to use with powered monitors. I'll be using it for mixing music.

I will wait for the SMSL M500 test first though, but be great to know which is the front runner out of the D5 and D70?

Thanks

Subjectively, D70 is criticised of lacking weak lows. Thus, i decide not to buy D70 as drum sound and bass are primary things for me. As for the measurements, i believe D5 beats almost every aspect but jitter performance. While you wanna get higher SINAD on D70 taking the volume down, do not forget you are gonna lose Dynamic range. On the other hand, you cannot go over a dynamic range of 123 dB (thx 789), as your amp (even though it is one of the best one) would have a bottleneck.

This is my understanding. Of course, you will find many well-informed audiophiles here. If you contact them through pm, they will kindly respond to you.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Subjectively, D70 is criticised of lacking weak lows. Thus, i decide not to buy D70 as drum sound and bass are primary things for me.

This is why subjective impressions are often challenged... Of course, that is nonsense, but people too often make their decisions based on what 'some guy' pulls out of his orifice in some completely uncontrolled subjective review rather than on reality.

Topping D70 has a better IMD, no Hump, no problem with heating time, better linearity(20 bits), better jitter.

Fabio

And has better sinad, less distortion at line level, same DR. And probably will sound the same.

zym1010

Forum Donor
And has better sinad, less distortion at line level, same DR. And probably will sound the same.

My D5 will arrive next week. Let’s see if I can tell the differences

Top Bottom