• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Sabaj D5 DAC & Amp

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
I use Raspbery and Logitech Media Server with Squeezelite with no problem. I do not know about Moode but for Squeezelite I select the output without any resampling.

Bisounours

Hello,

I’ve recently found a decent deal on a Sabaj D5 and I’m thinking about adding it to my setup. While most of my headphones are capable of being run on a balanced setup, I do have a pair of DT 1990. Will the D5 single ended amp be able to power the DT 1990 comfortably?

Not very good at deciphering the ohm/milliwatt graphs but it seems to put out more power than a Magni low gain but a lot less than the Magni high gain at 300 ohms. Is that correct?

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Hello,

I’ve recently found a decent deal on a Sabaj D5 and I’m thinking about adding it to my setup. While most of my headphones are capable of being run on a balanced setup, I do have a pair of DT 1990. Will the D5 single ended amp be able to power the DT 1990 comfortably?

Not very good at deciphering the ohm/milliwatt graphs but it seems to put out more power than a Magni low gain but a lot less than the Magni high gain at 300 ohms. Is that correct?
Others on ASR are more knowledgeable about power requirements for headphones than I am, but I think the SE out on the Sabaj D5 is not going to have enough power to drive your DT 1990's.

The DT 1990's have the same impedance as the DT 990's (250 Ω), and may have roughly the same sensitivity as well. As such it's a good idea to read through Amir's measurements of the DT 990's: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...eyerdynamic-dt990-pro-review-headphone.19975/ As Amir states:

You better have a very high performance headphone amplifier that can drive its high impedance and provide the required power

Bisounours

Others on ASR are more knowledgeable about power requirements for headphones than I am, but I think the SE out on the Sabaj D5 is not going to have enough power to drive your DT 1990's.

The DT 1990's have the same impedance as the DT 990's (250 Ω), and may have roughly the same sensitivity as well. As such it's a good idea to read through Amir's measurements of the DT 990's: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...eyerdynamic-dt990-pro-review-headphone.19975/ As Amir states:
Yeh that was my worry. I guess worst case scenario I could use the Sabaj DAC with an Asgard 3 for SE output. But it would be nice to have a nice combo unit that could do it all. Unfortunately the Schiit DAC modules lower power output on the Asgard 3 is a real bummer for that case.

Victallica

I am having an issue with my SabajD5 that is odd. I recently wanted to install a hardware soundcard in my pc with a DAC onboard and chose the Creative AE5 plus because I like the chip it used it is similar enough to the DAC I use in my main system. Now after installing this card in my pc I can only choose up to 32bit 384 when it should be able to do 32bit 768 now I am not sure if there is an audible difference between these settings since I do play CD audio or stream threw Amazon prime but that's not my point. My Sabaj is on 1.4 firmware and I just updated the driver hoping that would resolve the issue with no luck. The creative card is a PCI-E card and I thought I was doing my pc audio setup a favor by eliminating one USB device from the chain. Any help is appreciated this is my first post but I spend allot of time on ASR's YouTube chan. Thank's again.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi @Victallica ! Welcome to ASR.

The reason you can only choose up to 32bit 384KHz in the Windows Sound Control Panel is because that's the limit of what the Windows Audio Service can do.

If you want to play audio at higher sample rates, and you have a DAC that is capable of doing so, then you need to use an audio player like foobar with ASIO output (Wasapi exclusive might work too, not sure).
To use ASIO, you first have to install the correct driver for your DAC.

Generally, you should play your audio at its native sample rate. For example, YouTube is 48KHz, Spotify is 44.1

Last edited:

Victallica

Thank you for your feedback it's appreciated I had the option for the higher bit rate until I installed the card oddly. I then decided to update the driver and it didn't return. Your right none of my native sample rates are as high as I am looking to set it and it does sound fantastic. I just want the option to use the DAC to it's full potential.

staticV3

Master Contributor
You're not missing out on the DACs full potential by not using it at its highest sample rate.
That's a common misconception. More about that here

In reality, upsampling your audio is at best pointless and at worst detrimental to sound quality. That's why you should leave it at the native sample rate of your content.

Victallica

Again I thank you. That is a very interesting video really helps me understand about sample rates.

Veri

Master Contributor
I am having an issue with my SabajD5 that is odd. I recently wanted to install a hardware soundcard in my pc with a DAC onboard and chose the Creative AE5 plus because I like the chip it used it is similar enough to the DAC I use in my main system. Now after installing this card in my pc I can only choose up to 32bit 384 when it should be able to do 32bit 768 now I am not sure if there is an audible difference between these settings since I do play CD audio or stream threw Amazon prime but that's not my point. My Sabaj is on 1.4 firmware and I just updated the driver hoping that would resolve the issue with no luck. The creative card is a PCI-E card and I thought I was doing my pc audio setup a favor by eliminating one USB device from the chain. Any help is appreciated this is my first post but I spend allot of time on ASR's YouTube chan. Thank's again.
Like static explained, intuitively you might think setting the highest rate will be best. But then Windows just resamples your source to that rate, while your DAC will likely do that same operation with better precision in its oversampling stage. Marketing devices with "up to 768kHz" support is silly, like you noticed Windows doesn't even support that in its graphical interface but only when pushed directly over an application. OSX does support high rates natively, even 1536kHz PCM. But it's the same story, no real point in doing that since the DAC oversamples anyway.

Last edited:

Victallica

I knew I came to the right place to get solid information on the issue ya'll are great. I appreciate the responses and the welcome to the ASR community.

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Like static explained, intuitively you might think setting the highest rate will be best. But then Windows just resamples your source to that rate, while your DAC will likely do that same operation with better precision in its oversampling stage. Marketing devices with "up to 768kHz" support is silly, like you noticed Windows doesn't even support that in it's graphical interface but only when pushed directly over an application. OSX does support high rates natively, even 1536kHz PCM. But it's the same story, no real point in doing that since the DAC oversamples anyway.

Yes, but maybe you want a different filter. In a completely non-controlled and subjective way I prefer Archimago's "Goldilocks" filter http://archimago.blogspot.com/2018/01/musings-more-fun-with-digital-filters.html - and upsampling to 352/384 the AKM 4499 DAC does not further upsample before modulating.

DeepSpace57

Guyz, do you know the output impedance of XLRs at the back ( not amp section, as a standalone DAC ) ?

Spitfire93

Just got this for 200$ BNIB, for the moment I use it with SHP9500, but planning to upgrade the headphones too. I was wondering how does it performs with low impedance planar headphones which are not very efficient giving that the amp is not the most powerful ?

Mengo5

Questa è una recensione e misurazioni dettagliate del DAC Sabaj D5 e dell'amplificatore per cuffie bilanciato. Mi è stato gentilmente inviato dall'azienda. Il D5 costa US $ 470 su Amazon negli Stati Uniti. Utilizza il top di gamma, il chip DAC ESS ES9038Pro. Quindi, in teoria, le prestazioni dovrebbero essere eccellenti.

Il D5 è abbastanza tipico dei DAC a questo prezzo, anche se sono stati fatti alcuni tentativi per renderlo più unico:

C'è un display OLED molto nitido. Purtroppo, il carattere è piccolo, il che va bene per la regolazione del menu. Per la visualizzazione dello stato come vedi sopra, vorrei che avessero usato un carattere molto, molto più grande per il livello del volume invece di quel simbolo grande.

Ci sono sia un'uscita per cuffie da 1/4 che un'uscita per cuffie XLR "bilanciata" a 4 pin. Devi selezionarli separatamente nel menu insieme a Line Out nella parte posteriore.

I menu sono facili da navigare con il pulsante di clic e la rotellina. Tenere premuto il pulsante per uscire dal menu corrente.

Viene fornito con un telecomando che non ho usato ma sembra identico a quello di Topping, ecc. Ma con un'etichetta leggermente diversa.

Il pannello posteriore mostra l'aggiunta dell'input I^2S oltre ai tipici pro e contro che ci aspettiamo:

Tuttavia, non è presente alcun ingresso Bluetooth che sta diventando uno standard in questi prodotti.

L'alimentatore è interno come mi piace vedere in questa fascia di prezzo. I marchi normativi FCC e CE mi sembrano legittimi.

Misurazioni audio DAC
Proviamo prima la parte DAC con l'uscita XLR. Sabaj mi aveva inviato un'istantanea del Dashboard e sono rimasto deluso quando non sono riuscito ad avvicinarmi al rating SINAD che avevano. Poi ho letto sul loro sito web qualcosa sull'effetto dei dissipatori di calore utilizzati e quindi l'unità ha bisogno di 30 minuti per riscaldarsi alle temperature richieste. Di solito non do molto peso a tali commenti, ma qui è stato un vero affare. Dopo circa 30 minuti mentre stavo facendo altre cose, le prestazioni sono balzate in alto:

View attachment 31020

Come ho notato, il freddo SINAD (segnale su rumore e distorsione) era di circa 107 dB o 12 dB peggiore. A quel rating l'unità si sarebbe mescolata in una massa di altri DAC "buoni". Ma a 119, si catapulta in cima alla classe:
View attachment 31021

Questa è una prestazione straordinariamente buona per una combinazione DAC e amplificatore per cuffie così economica!

I picchi di distorsione di livello più alto sono intorno a -130 dB, che è ben oltre ciò di cui abbiamo bisogno per una trasparenza udibile "provabile".

L'uscita RCA sbilanciata era leggermente indietro:

View attachment 31022

Come previsto, alcune interferenze di rete sono presenti anche se, ancora una volta, i loro livelli sono estremamente bassi a -130 dB.

La risposta in frequenza era piatta, a seconda del filtro in uso:
View attachment 31023

Il test del jitter mostra un discreto numero di bande laterali:

View attachment 31024

Ma parte di questo è dovuto al rumore di fondo molto basso che espone ciò che altrimenti vedremmo. E in ogni caso, i livelli sono per la maggior parte ben al di sotto di -130 dB, quindi nessun impatto udibile.

Il nostro display a 32 toni mostra le stesse prestazioni superlative:
View attachment 31025

Il test di linearità mostra un'eccellente precisione fino a 20 bit/-120 dB:
View attachment 31026

Allo stesso modo, la distorsione rispetto alla frequenza mostra uno spettro molto pulito:

View attachment 31027

È tutto perfetto? Beh no. Il test di intermodulazione mostra il classico "ESS IMD Hump" in cui la distorsione sale a livelli medi:

View attachment 31028

È un peccato perché il grafico inizia con livelli molto bassi di IMD/rumore. E finisce anche così con una distorsione molto bassa.

Possiamo cambiare i toni a 19 e 20 khz e vedere quale intermodulazione si presenta lì:
View attachment 31029

Il mio modello per questo test aveva le prestazioni del DAC boutique Totaldac d1-six in blu recensito di recente. Il d1-six viene venduto al dettaglio per oltre $ 14.000, ma questo DAC da $ 460 gira intorno ad esso. Ha un rumore e una distorsione molto più bassi che consentono a tutti i dettagli della tua musica di passare attraverso il DAC senza ostacoli. La distorsione del caso peggiore in D5 è a -115 dB che, ancora una volta, incrocia prestazioni dimostrabilmente trasparenti.

Ci sono un sacco di filtri di ricostruzione che puoi selezionare. Ecco cosa fanno alla tua risposta in frequenza:

View attachment 31030

"Fast Linear" è l'impostazione predefinita predefinita.

Il test della gamma dinamica mostra che il D5 è un DAC silenzioso:

View attachment 31031

Misurazioni audio dell'amplificatore per cuffie
Cominciamo con la nostra vista del cruscotto con 2 volt in uscita dall'uscita cuffie 1/4 XLR:

View attachment 31032

A causa dell'uso dell'ingresso di squilibrio sul mio analizzatore, vediamo un bel po' di rumore di rete. La seconda armonica a -112 dB imposta il limite più o meno. Si tratta di prestazioni molto buone, anche se un po' al di sotto dei nostri amplificatori per cuffie leader della categoria (JDS Labs Atom, ecc.).

La misurazione più importante per le cuffie è la potenza rispetto alla distorsione. Iniziamo con un carico di 300 Ohm che rappresenta le cuffie ad alta impedenza e la capacità dell'amplificatore di generare tensioni elevate:
View attachment 31033

Abbiamo una potenza molto pulita fino al livello massimo di 56 milliwatt. Mi piace vedere qui oltre 100 milliwatt come fornisce il Topping DX3 Pro .

Passando all'altro estremo di 33 ohm, enfatizzando l'erogazione di corrente otteniamo:

View attachment 31034

Questo è meglio. Mentre c'è un certo aumento della distorsione, ci avviciniamo a quello di Topping DX3 Pro a 0,4 watt.

Passando all'uscita XLR usando un carico di 50 ohm abbiamo:

View attachment 31035

Questo è un sano 1,3 watt e dovrebbe essere in grado di pilotare molte cuffie inefficienti. Si imposta un meccanismo di distorsione che limita la fascia bassa a -100 dB. Questo è eccellente ma se non ci fosse stato, il D5 avrebbe potuto spodestare molti altri prodotti dai loro posatoi.

Il bilanciamento dei canali è perfetto come ci si aspetterebbe da un DAC+amplificatore combinato che può utilizzare il DAC per il controllo del volume:

View attachment 31036

Tuttavia, ci sono solo 40 passaggi e la manopola si muove velocemente, quindi potresti non avere il controllo preciso che hai con altri concorrenti.

Modifica: ho dimenticato di pubblicare l'impedenza di uscita:

index.php

Test di ascolto
I test di ascolto hanno rispecchiato quello delle misurazioni. Con Sennheiser HD-650, c'era un output molto pulito fino a quando non ce n'era più. Non è possibile creare una sensazione di note basse nei lobi delle orecchie. :) Ma quello che c'era era "abbastanza".

Con Hifiman HE-400i la situazione è migliorata molto. C'era più volume da ottenere e la risoluzione e l'assenza di distorsioni erano un piacere da ascoltare.

Conclusioni
Il Sabaj D5 è un DAC e un amplificatore per cuffie molto ben progettato. Supera quasi tutti i DAC che abbia mai provato! L'ESS ES9038Pro, se implementato bene (il che non è comune), porta livelli di distorsione incredibilmente bassi, come mostrato qui. Ahimè, porta anche la gobba IMD che do la colpa a ESS per non aver funzionato prima di scatenare il progetto sugli implementatori. Se Sabaj e incorporasse la correzione che altri stanno iniziando a implementare, avrebbe un punto di svolta completo nelle loro mani, rendendo obsoleti i prodotti in quasi tutte le fasce di prezzo!

L'uscita per le cuffie è semplicemente molto buona. Non rompe i confini come fa il lato DAC, ma quello che c'è è assolutamente pulito e privo di distorsioni. Solo una persona con cuffie a bassissima efficienza e/o che ha bisogno di suonare a un volume estremamente alto vorrebbe ottenere qualcosa di meglio. E se è così, hai un DAC fantastico per pilotare qualunque cosa sia.

L'unica cosa strana è dover lasciare l'unità accesa per alcuni minuti affinché raggiunga le sue migliori prestazioni. Inoltre, anche le sue prestazioni "fredde" sono probabilmente abbastanza trasparenti.

Inutile dire che è un piacere consigliare vivamente il Sabaj D5. Un ottimo esempio di un prodotto ben progettato ad un prezzo molto ragionevole.

-----------
Come sempre, domande, commenti, consigli, ecc. sono i benvenuti.

Gente, sono nei guai! Google ha esteso il suo traduttore linguistico per passare dall'inglese alla lingua Panther. Una delle mie pantere mi ha rubato il telefono, ha tirato fuori queste recensioni e ha letto la versione tradotta di tutte queste stupide barzellette su di loro! Sono tutti arrabbiati come puoi immaginare. Mi piace regalare loro del gelato per fargli dimenticare tutto, ma sono a corto di soldi. Per favore dona quello che puoi per salvare il mio sedere dai morsi arrabbiati!!! https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Buonasera Amirm,
Vorrei sapere quale potrebbe essere una buona combinazione con Sabaj D5. Io ho le cuffie Beyerdynamic DT 1770 PRO, le vedresti bene operare con questo Dac?
Grazie

Megaken

Help please.

I haven't used my sabaj d5 in 2 months, it was standing unplugged. When I plugged it in -the remote isn't working at all. The DAC itself works great, just the remote is dead. It used to work.

Batteries didn't leak inside, it's clean. I tried several new battery sets - nothing. Any advice?

Thx

gvl

Major Contributor
Did you try pressing the ABC keys? My Topping metal remote stopped working from just sitting on a shelf. I took it apart there’s like 2 parts on the board, idk how they managed to make so unreliable.

If memory serves when I got my D5 there was a similar hiccup with the remote but then it started working.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Help please.

I haven't used my sabaj d5 in 2 months, it was standing unplugged. When I plugged it in -the remote isn't working at all. The DAC itself works great, just the remote is dead. It used to work.

Batteries didn't leak inside, it's clean. I tried several new battery sets - nothing. Any advice?

Thx
You must press C before the remote will work on the D5.

Top Bottom