• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Sabaj D5 DAC & Amp

marco07

Is it possible to use a xlr to SE converter ? Is that going to benefit from the xlr power output???
I've been told it's very bad to go from BAL (XLR) to SE, as in you'll ruin the amp's circuitry. SE to BAL is ok however. So I'd advise you not to try it.

Harry1973

Firmware 1.4 now installed. Installation was fast and easy. I haven´t noticed any problems with 1.3 but I updated anyways.
Has Sabaj shared exactly what has been fixed? Could not find that info on their website -I remember some one had problems of volume control not working after stand by. I have not read these forums in a while.

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
sabaj has been pretty slow about responding to my request for a firmware update tool. could i borrow a tool from anyone already in the states? heck, maybe we should just do a tool tour.

Enkay25

sabaj has been pretty slow about responding to my request for a firmware update tool. could i borrow a tool from anyone already in the states? heck, maybe we should just do a tool tour.

If you have no issues with the current firmware, imo, there is no need to update.

I had updated but didn't fine any change. (I had no issues with the factory firmware which was v1.2).

zym1010

Forum Donor

marco07

I contacted the Sabaj store thru AliExpress message and they mailed the tool the very next day. I haven't received it yet but I had no problems with the communication. They actually apologized because they had not followed up with my previous message inquiring about the tool when it was first mentioned in these forums. And a couple of days later I received an email from them with the instructions and files for the update. Try sending them message thru AliExpress.

NemoReborn

if i am using line out of the sabaj d5 .. does the xlr and rca plays at the same time ???

currently my basx a-100 is plugged via rca line out and id like to buy a thx 789 amp and plug it with xlr .. does the 2 amp going to play at same time ???

Lotus97

if i am using line out of the sabaj d5 .. does the xlr and rca plays at the same time ???

currently my basx a-100 is plugged via rca line out and id like to buy a thx 789 amp and plug it with xlr .. does the 2 amp going to play at same time ???
since it doesn't have an option which one you want to use, I assume that both should work at the same time.

NemoReborn

So I received the « tool » to update my d5. Took max 5min following the pdf provided .. successfully done to v1.04 !

skypablo

Greetings, sorry for my english.
I was first sad when over 1 year ago I read a bad review of my schiit dac. But it really was not so good as I sold quite fastly for others dacs , idsd BL, hugo2, mojo. Now I have come back here and I read a fantastic review of the D5. So I told to myself.... is amirm really a serious reviewer? This question is obvisous as it is clear to me that are a lot of commercial interests in audiophile webistes.... So I bought the D5 on amazon italy. The sabaj was extremely comunicative and 1 week ago I received it. Multi test against my last survived dac hugo2. Tested a lot with classic music (violin for treble harshness and orchestra for everything else). Both using rega elex + MA gold100 or headphone k812 and AeonC and R70X and Flares Gold playin FLAC or qobuz hirez. I discover that my preferred filter is apodizing.
Well, the hugo2 have a little more velvet sound on only the highest violin frequencies while the D5 is a bit more harsh. But understand me, it happens only in solo violin at top frequency, very rare event. It should be noted that the MA gold 100 that I love are quite treble monstre as they reproduce every treble sound in an inflessible way. This treble harshness is less evident on aeon and flares gold. For the other music both sound really good, small differences but that kind of differences that are subtle and not giving the win to anyone. The D5 is clearly ultra precise but never too analytical.

The conclusion is the hugo2 is on internet for someone who want to buy it.
I am very happy of my D5 , firmware is already 1.4 installed with no volume bug.
I thank amirm for this website and I would like to ask if he consideer that the thx789 + D5 could be a (little) improvement over the only D5 for my headphones.

Veri

Master Contributor
Greetings, sorry for my english.
I was first sad when over 1 year ago I read a bad review of my schiit dac. But it really was not so good as I sold quite fastly for others dacs , idsd BL, hugo2, mojo. Now I have come back here and I read a fantastic review of the D5. So I told to myself.... is amirm really a serious reviewer? This question is obvisous as it is clear to me that are a lot of commercial interests in audiophile webistes.... So I bought the D5 on amazon italy. The sabaj was extremely comunicative and 1 week ago I received it. Multi test against my last survived dac hugo2. Tested a lot with classic music (violin for treble harshness and orchestra for everything else). Both using rega elex + MA gold100 or headphone k812 and AeonC and R70X and Flares Gold playin FLAC or qobuz hirez. I discover that my preferred filter is apodizing.
Well, the hugo2 have a little more velvet sound on only the highest violin frequencies while the D5 is a bit more harsh. But understand me, it happens only in solo violin at top frequency, very rare event. It should be noted that the MA gold 100 that I love are quite treble monstre as they reproduce every treble sound in an inflessible way. This treble harshness is less evident on aeon and flares gold. For the other music both sound really good, small differences but that kind of differences that are subtle and not giving the win to anyone. The D5 is clearly ultra precise but never too analytical.

The conclusion is the hugo2 is on internet for someone who want to buy it.
I am very happy of my D5 , firmware is already 1.4 installed with no volume bug.
I thank amirm for this website and I would like to ask if he consideer that the thx789 + D5 could be a (little) improvement over the only D5 for my headphones.
-You didn't clarify your test protocol. If you just listened, small volume difference can easily make you think one sounds more 'velvety' than the other. If you could test it blind and volume matched you might attribute the D5 to sound 'velvety' instead. If you can't hear it unsighted, difference isn't there, simple as that.

-Note there is the monoprice 887 now which has noticeably longer warranty than the drop 789, and the SMSL THX sp200 which is cheaper than either of those. These THX amps can deliver more power if you need it, but if the D5 suffices power wise there's no point really. It don't change the sound!

skypablo

-You didn't clarify your test protocol. If you just listened, small volume difference can easily make you think one sounds more 'velvety' than the other. If you could test it blind and volume matched you might attribute the D5 to sound 'velvety' instead. If you can't hear it unsighted, difference isn't there, simple as that.

Hello Veri , I matched sound with sound meter on smartphone with external mic so volume was about perfectly equal between hugo2 and d5. At least on main speakers. Tried on different days, tried on different tracks, hugo 2 (with white filter) is a bit more relaxed on the highest frequencies. But I repeat, I keep the D5. Soundwise it is a incredibly minimal difference

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Last edited:

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Oh I wish you hadn't posted this! I don't need it yet I have some Amazon gift cards that I have been saving...

Ha, I know the feeling. $400 is a solid price for what you get: elite DAC and absolutely competent headphone amp. I believe the D5 was ~USD $370 as recently as September? If that's the case I wouldn't be surprised if there's another discount window -- maybe post-Xmas -- where you see the D5 drop to $400 or below again.

decebalus

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
is this a safe shop from where to buy from ? i meant hifi-express

I believe so, but I would defer to other ASR members with buying experience to comment as I personally have not purchased anything from hi-fi express.

To their credit:
  • 30 day return policy *
  • 1 year warranty on all products *
  • SMSL-Mandy is a long-time and respected member of ASR
* it appears from their FAQ that shipping charges are the responsibility of the buyer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom