• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Sabaj D5 DAC & Amp

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Has anyone compared it to Chord Mojo sonically ? I want to upgrade my mojo to something different. And have been thinking about sabaj d5. Any thoughts ?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Has anyone compared it to Chord Mojo sonically ? I want to upgrade my mojo to something different. And have been thinking about sabaj d5. Any thoughts ?

It is doubtful there would be any detectable difference once they were level matched and done blind...they are both well into the sonically transparent range. Why are you looking to change? It's not like the Mojo is schitty...

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Forum Donor
It is doubtful there would be any detectable difference once they were level matched and done blind...they are both well into the sonically transparent range. Why are you looking to change? It's not like the Mojo is schitty...
Hmm maybe upgrade was a bad word. It's more like just a change. I like to switch some of my audio gear.
Mojo is really nice for my taste its soundstage is just a bit congested, and doesn't have 1/4inch headphone socket. I don't really need portability. So I guess I can't go wrong with sabaj, since it's measures "better overall".

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Hmm maybe upgrade was a bad word. It's more like just a change. I like to switch some of my audio gear.
Mojo is really nice for my taste its soundstage is just a bit congested, and doesn't have 1/4inch headphone socket. I don't really need portability. So I guess I can't go wrong with sabaj, since it's measures "better overall".

It certainly looks like one I would consider if I was buying... Once DAC's get to a certain level of basic engineering competence, differences between them revolve around everything but how they sound...because they will all sound the same. Once I figured that out (after wasting a lot of $$$ spent where it wouldn't matter) the money went where it would actually matter...Speakers and room treatment in my case.

New gear is fun though...no doubt about that! Welcome by the way...this is a great place to learn.

jruser

M500 will be released on 2nd September. I will send amir M500 for test at that time.

Anybody have any guesses where the performance will come in on the M500? It would be hard to top the D5's numbers, but maybe we are reaching a new era.

jruser

Does anybody know what cables come with the D5 and their length?

Kane1972

Anybody have any guesses where the performance will come in on the M500? It would be hard to top the D5's numbers, but maybe we are reaching a new era.

I want to know how it compares to the M300 as well, as the M500 has the 9038Pro and the M300 has the AKM 4497. It's possible the M300 will be the bargain of the bunch.

Hemi-Demon

I then read on their website something to the effect of heatsinks are used and hence the unit needs 30 minutes to warm up to required temps. I usually don't put much weight on such comments but here, it was a real deal. After around 30 minutes while I was doing other things, performance jumped way up:

Interesting that this warm up period is what Schiit, or better yet, most of their Yggy users recommend for best output on that device.

@amirm, what is the science for this improvement vs time? I wonder if it improves the longer the device runs warm.

Sabaj should hire IVX to fix that hump, maybe add Bluetooth 5 (LDAC) and release a V2, and this would be unbeatable.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm, what is the science for this improvement vs time? I wonder if it improves the longer the device runs warm.
It doesn't keep improving. As to science, it is really an engineering matter. It is certainly possible to design circuits that are sensitive to temperature.

THW

Forum Donor

the measurements indicate that in the engineering aspect it is competent, not so much “very good”

NX4 DSD still seems to be of much better value if you don’t mind the channel imbalance, also based on whatever limited specifications I can find, the Q5 from FiiO seems to be of much better value than Mojo when viewed as an overall product

Music1969

Major Contributor
the measurements indicate that in the engineering aspect it is competent, not so much “very good”

Maybe subjective interpretation of the results?

The guy that did those measurements says:

"I wouldnt hesitate to use this DAC as a primary source in a full system despite its portable pretensions. It measures very well."

THW

Forum Donor
Maybe subjective interpretation of the results?

The guy that did those measurements says:

"I wouldnt hesitate to use this DAC as a primary source in a full system despite its portable pretensions. It measures very well."

I also noticed it isn’t Amir’s set of measurements and was about to make the edit

Distortion is also quite low in Amir’s measurement set but overall SINAD takes a hit, I would guess this is due to (relatively) high noise levels

Oh and the Mojo has a whole host of other issues that aren’t directly related to sonic performance, enough for me to not even consider touching it even with a 10 meter wooden stick

For example, given its bulk and its susceptibility to EMI noise, I’m not even sure if the Mojo can actually be considered a “portable”

Last edited:

frogmeat69

Forum Donor
For example, given its bulk and its susceptibility to EMI noise, I’m not even sure if the Mojo can actually be considered a “portable”
Sorta like the iFi iDSD Micro, more "transportable" than "portable". Sure, you can take it with you, but it's not all that comfortable to do so.

Kane1972

Why is there no "sticky" of the most up to date SINAD chart? I'd love to be able to come to ASR and simply look at that comparison chart.

wadec22

Kane1972

If I click on reviews, it does not cycle through any SINAD charts and if I click the link you posted it does not show the latest as the D5 and Topping D70 are absent for instance. Thanks anyway though,

Top Bottom