• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of RME ADI-2 DAC

Veri

Master Contributor
x2 Voltage, x4 Power.
Same as bridged mode of stereo amplifiers.
Yep my bad.

@VintageFlanker crosstalk is not that big an issue. With the THX AAA gain 1 has a lot more crosstalk than gain 2 and 3 and according to Andrew from THX it is still far from an audible issue. Unless there is a serious defect, you're not going to hear it... supposedly.

Definitely no 'more sound stage' besides placebo.

Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep my bad.

@VintageFlanker crosstalk is not that big an issue. With the THX AAA gain 1 has a lot more crosstalk than gain 2 and 3 and according to Andrew from THX it is still far from an audible issue. Unless there is a serious defect, you're not going to hear it... supposedly.

Definitely no 'more sound stage' besides placebo.
We oldies who used, or still use, LPs enjoyed a stereo soundstage using kit with a crosstalk of around 30dB. It varies quite a lot from cartridge to cartridge and also with frequency, but a difference in crosstalk of the kind that may exist in electronics is unlikely to have an influence on the sound IMO.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
RME have posted menu walk through on ADI-2 Dac saves a bit of time than reading through the manual
Instead of making the UI so hard to navigate as to require a video, they need to go back to drawing board and redesign it all. The ADI-2 Pro is beyond help and even much more complicated than the DAC version.

helloworld

Greetings to all,
in October 2017, the Italian publication "Audio Review" carried out, in addition to the technical review of the Sonic OPPO, also that of the RME ADI-2 Pro Anniversary Edition.
I scanned the test to make you compare with what Amirm measured.
I hope this is an interesting initiative, unfortunately the article is only in Italian.
do you have the pdf file of oppo sonica?

DosThou

Instead of making the UI so hard to navigate as to require a video, they need to go back to drawing board and redesign it all. The ADI-2 Pro is beyond help and even much more complicated than the DAC version.
or maybe put up an android/ios app to control their products with complex systems. might be a bit too much for relatively niche products like these, but there is no shortage of app programmers nowadays and it'll give them an (even more) edge over their competitors.

also, adi-2 dac portable version with built-in battery that's about as big as say, mojo with cut down features yet comparable performance as the bigger siblings at half the price or so would probably reign supreme

Habu

Hello from France
Apparently there is a manufacturing error on all RME ADI-2 DAC and ADI-2 PRO: (THIS IS A JOKE)
The Top (T) and Bottom (B) buttons are inverted, I can't think these buttons are really Bass and Treble buttons on a bitperfect DAC in 2019 :)
I just included a picture of what they should have done ...
And below what they have actually done.

Sincerely yours

Habu
RME ADI-2 DAC News.jpg
IMG_2129.JPG

Last edited:

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello from France
Apparently there is a manufacturing error on all RME ADI-2 DAC and ADI-2 PRO:
The Top (T) and Bottom (B) buttons are inverted, I can't think these buttons are really Bass and Treble buttons on a bitperfect DAC in 2019 :)
I just included a picture of what I expect ....

Sincerely yours

Habu
View attachment 20960
Salut à toi !
I didn't notice this error on my unit... OR I got used to that since the very first day.
I'll check once back at home!

Habu

Salut à toi !
I didn't notice this error on my unit... OR I got used to that since the very first day.
I'll check once back at home!

Salut VintageFlanker
I was kidding !!!!

Habu

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4081

Hello from France
Apparently there is a manufacturing error on all RME ADI-2 DAC and ADI-2 PRO: (THIS IS A JOKE)
I just included a picture of what I expect ....

Sincerely yours

Habu
View attachment 20960

I very often reach for the wrong knob, it's definitely an issue for me!

AresHarvest

It's too bad ADI-2 and ADI-2 DAC don't make use of TotalMix FX, which is RME's mixing/routing control panel.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

This unit seems very good according to the measurements and reviews.

I have a Topping D10 at the moment, which I am satisfied of. It just lacks a volume knob and a S/PDIF in.
Sound-quality-wise, is the RME ADI-2 DAC worth the extra money? Should I save for it? Will it be tremendously better, and for what (bass? treble?).

I already have decent enough speakers and cannot work acoustic treatment where I live. So I don't see what to upgrade at the moment except the DAC.

Best regards.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for your answer. I'm already doing all the required room correction EQ/phase correction with RePhase and Convolver in the computer so this feature of the RME will be of no use.

I'm rather after tighter bass and larger sound stage. I know the improvement won't be proportional to the $$$ spent, but I wonder if there would be any.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for your answer. I'm already doing all the required room correction EQ/phase correction with RePhase and Convolver in the computer so this feature of the RME will be of no use.

I'm rather after tighter bass and larger sound stage. I know the improvement won't be proportional to the $$$ spent, but I wonder if there would be any.

It’s likely to sound exactly the same as your D10, ie not have a sound. I’d focus on what @VintageFlanker suggests.

Xyrium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

The guys over at RME aren't trying to make home users happy, though this is somewhat of a crossover product. RME makes fantastic pro gear, and the focus is usually on compatibility, and engineering excellence; not so much intuitive software.

Come on Amir, you're a pro, aren't you? I kid, I kid... :)

BTW, make me down as another very pleased reader of your site to see this well reviewed/measured. Nice job again Amir!

Top Bottom