• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of RME ADI-2 DAC

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you tell me how?

What do you want to do exactly? I can test it out on mine and let you know whether it works. There’s also a manual available online if you google, but maybe just explaining it here and getting me or someone else to test it is easier..

tlr

I previously read the manual but didn't remember seeing that option so I was hoping someone knew off-hand. Since that's not the case I went back and read it again, and it looks like this might be it:

14.1.3 Device Mode
The subpage Device Mode has the following entries:
Mute Line
OFF, vs. Phones, Toggle Ph/Line. Default: vs. Phones. Activates mutual mute between Phones/IEM out and rear Line Out. Default is mute of Line Outs when inserting a phones or IEM plug. Alternatively Toggle activates the ability to manually switch between 'front' and 'rear'. This allows to have the phones/IEM connected all the time. To change push the VOLUME knob for half a second. This function can also be controlled by one of the four function keys or the remote control via Remap Function Keys.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Greetings to all,
in October 2017, the Italian publication "Audio Review" carried out, in addition to the technical review of the Sonic OPPO, also that of the RME ADI-2 Pro Anniversary Edition.
I scanned the test to make you compare with what Amirm measured.
I hope this is an interesting initiative, unfortunately the article is only in Italian.

Hi, are you able to translate only the short "conclusion" paragraph at the end?

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Conclusion is that it is essentially perfect. No need for more esoteric stuff. A plus is the ability to do ADC. Only drawback for domestic use is lack of remote.

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Read the manual. The menu structure is not something I can remember. But it surely can be done.

Recyclopse

I have been really enjoying the RME adi 2 dac, but sometimes I worry I am going to regret not getting the thx 789 to pair with it... The RME has plenty of power for my needs, my hardest pair to drive are Ether C Flows. I just dont want to miss out on improvement of any kind for $350... I am very happy with the amp in the RME, but it does get very warm when in regular use. I've read in other forums that it is totally normal and by design... However, I cant help but feel that if I had the thx 789 paired it would be a cooler solution as I've heard the 789 runs very cool and I wouldnt have to worry as much (I know I sound crazy). I just dont want regrets over 350 bucks. Will I have regrets? Thanks in advance, cheers!

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am very happy with the amp in the RME, but it does get very warm when in regular use. I've read in other forums that it is totally normal and by design...
First time I read this. As far I'm concerned, the ADI-2 DAC runs cooler than any other DAC/Amp combo I had. At first, it even worried me a bit (audiophile beliefs saying its sounds better when it's hot:D)

BurritoJustice

Forum Donor
First time I read this. As far I'm concerned, the ADI-2 DAC runs cooler than any other DAC/Amp combo I had. At first, it even worried me a bit (audiophile beliefs saying its sounds better when it's hot:D)

High power balanced mode on the pro (-10dB HE-6), and you could fry a fucking egg on the top of the uni. Though I guess the Aussie weather doesn't help.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
High power balanced mode on the pro (-10dB HE-6), and you could fry a fucking egg on the top of the uni. Though I guess the Aussie weather doesn't help.
Ok ok. I don't have the Pro, so I can't tell about it.

I use the DAC 70% of the time with line outs, +7 or +13db (not warm at all even being On all day).

Sometimes in HiPower (SE) mode up to -15db (VERY loud on my K712), it getting a bit warmer after 30min or so, but still WAY cooler than others combos.

Recyclopse

I use the DAC 70% of the time with line outs, +7 or +13db (not warm at all even being On all day).

Sometimes in HiPower (SE) mode up to -15db (VERY loud on my K712), it getting a bit warmer after 30min or so, but still WAY cooler than others combos.
Lol. Ya, I came from a Fostex HpA4bl and it never even got warm, then again I only tried Aeons and 660s with it.
Haha well that makes me feel better then. I came from a Fostex Hpa4BL which never even got warm. Maybe thats why I didnt like it and it didnt havr enough power :p

Recyclopse

Ya, I think I read this about the pro and a few adi2 dac guys chimed in saying the same.

I run high power with say the 660s on the adi2 at maybe -20db and this girl is getting very warrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmm. When I am running line out or listening on low levels its cool, obviously. Just making sure I have nothing to worry about. I think I have seen you post a few times about the adi2's amp and saying it was plenty efficient for all, unless you have he6's lol. If power isnt a concern, heat isnt a concern, then the only left is sound improvement. I've heard that there is no audible difference between the adi2 and the thx 789. Is that true? Would the 789 add any soundstage or any other improvements?

I've been leaning toward just doing the adi2 as a stand alone and be a happy camper. The thx 789 just seems so magical for the price, but probably not needed for me.

Recyclopse

Good to know!

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would the 789 add any soundstage or any other improvements?
I also red some saying it does... I didn't exprimented this myself. But you'll get balanced option and definitely more power (than needed?) from the 789. Some also says you'll get more soundstage from balanced output.

I don't know if it's true or not... but I'm sure with such a powerful and highly customisable system (ADI-2 DAC + 789), you will be happy forever whatever headphones, full size or nomad, IEM or earbud you use!

Veri

Master Contributor
I also red some saying it does... I didn't exprimented this myself. But you'll get balanced option and definitely more power (than needed?) from the 789. Some also says you'll get more soundstage from balanced output.

A myth. Only difference is x2 the power.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A myth. Only difference is x2 the power.
Probably.
But why in most manufacturers DAC and Amp specs, we always see a much higher announced crosstalk BAL vs SE? Is the crosstalk really that different OR is this may be audible soundstage-wise?
Good question for @amirm . If he could measure amps or DACs crosstalk for both BAL and SE and compare?

Used to live in NY... moved out to the Caribbean about 2 years ago... But when I order stuff... I ship it to Florida where I have a service that ships items to me.
Ok,
The D1 measures better on BAL outs. But you loose every features of the ADI-2 DAC for few more db of SINAD (audible?). I would say go for the RME for the made in Germany factor, good support and 5 years warranty, but once you're not in EU, I'm not sure...

Top Bottom