• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of RME ADI-2 DAC

dragonspit4

Is there any point at all in pairing this with the THX AAA 789? I’ve seen some people do it, which confuses me because the output from this seems damn near perfect.

Also, I’m a bit confused - are we getting 19 bits of linearity or 20?
from amirm "..............This is a review and detailed measurements of RME's new ADI-2 DAC. This is a spin off from their highly regarded ADC/DAC combo, the ADI-2 Pro. I have purchased the Pro for my testing but a member was kind enough to loan me the DAC only version reviewed here. I will measure and post any differences between the two at a later time. .........."

meaning this is a DAC only for $999, this is not pro version.

RME ADI-2 DAC (DAC) +THX AAA 789 (AMP) = $999+$350=$1349
Topping DX7s + THX AAA 789 = $380+$350= $730
u save $619

Topping DX7s is almost as good as RME ADI-2 DAC, for a much cheaper price.
In fact, DAC has the least contribution to the sound of audio system.
Heaphone > AMP > DAC <---- in the order of contribution to sound signiture
Heaphone (most impact to sound) > AMP (2nd most impact to sound) > DAC (very little impact to sound if it's well designed DAC)

wadec22

@dragonspit4 In this case, by "DAC only," he means that it does not include an ADC, unlike the ADI-2 Pro. The ADI-2 DAC does include a headphone amp, and according to discussions by owners, the THX AAA 789 wouldn't be needed for most headphones/most users.

completely agree. I have owned both the THX amp and the RME ADI 2 and I would say the RME unit on it's own is going to satisfy 99% of owners, only those with a few extremely power hungry headphones would benefit from the THX unit instead or in addition to. I would add that if you have very sensitive headphones or IEMs, you are better served with the amp in the RME unit.

Lastly the DX7s comes with a couple small caveats as well - Chi-Fi with relatively unknown reliability and what appears to be poor customer service to those who are having problems with other Topping units, as well as the ESS "hump" - which is most likely inaudible but does still bother some of us, when changing end game type setups.

dragonspit4

completely agree. I have owned both the THX amp and the RME ADI 2 and I would say the RME unit on it's own is going to satisfy 99% of owners, only those with a few extremely power hungry headphones would benefit from the THX unit instead or in addition to. I would add that if you have very sensitive headphones or IEMs, you are better served with the amp in the RME unit.

Lastly the DX7s comes with a couple small caveats as well - Chi-Fi with relatively unknown reliability and what appears to be poor customer service to those who are having problems with other Topping units, as well as the ESS "hump" - which is most likely inaudible but does still bother some of us, when changing end game type setups.

How much power does RME output for single end and balance?
Personally, I say more power is better. THX unit give u the option to buy more power hungry headphone down the line if u wish to.

Even without the THX:
RME ADI-2 DAC (DAC) = $999
u save $269

I would argue that the Topping and THX combo is better, because of more power (give u the option to buy more power hungry headphone down the line if u wish to.)
Also it's $269 cheaper!!!
Topping is the most reliable brand since all their product line measures really well as a DAC. Personally, I doubt u will hear a difference at all between Topping and RME, because..........

DAC has the least contribution to the sound of audio system.
Heaphone > AMP > DAC <---- in the order of contribution to sound signature
Heaphone (most impact to sound) > AMP (2nd most impact to sound) > DAC (very little impact to sound if it's well designed DAC)

Let me summarize: (reasons to choose Topping DX7s + THX AAA 789)
1. Cost (saving of $269)
2. Power (more power is better, in case of power hungry)
3. Sound contribution (DAC=very little impact to sound if it's well designed DAC)

Would you take better AMP or better DAC?
Let's assume that THX > RME in terms of AMP
Let's assume that RME > Topping in terms of DAC

I would take "better AMP" because,

if money is not a concern: (Get this)

wadec22

How much power does RME output for single end and balance?
Personally, I say more power is better. THX unit give u the option to buy more power hungry headphone down the line if u wish to.

Even without the THX:
RME ADI-2 DAC (DAC) = $999
u save $269

I would argue that the Topping and THX combo is better, because of more power (give u the option to buy more power hungry headphone down the line if u wish to.)
Also it's $269 cheaper!!!
Topping is the most reliable brand since all their product line measures really well as a DAC. Personally, I doubt u will hear a difference at all between Topping and RME, because..........

DAC has the least contribution to the sound of audio system.

Let me summarize: (reasons to choose Topping DX7s + THX AAA 789)
1. Cost (saving of $269)
2. Power (more power is better, in case of power hungry)
3. Sound contribution (DAC=very little impact to sound if it's well designed DAC)

Would you take better AMP or better DAC?
Let's assume that THX > RME in terms of AMP
Let's assume that RME > Topping in terms of DAC

I would take "better AMP" because,

if money is not a concern: (Get this)

Again, no question on the Topping performance - it's their reliability and service in question - do some poking around here. Several cases of DX3 Pros and D50's that are having issues and customers not getting responses from Topping.

Look at the power graphs for each. RME single ended puts out a TON of power. One user in this thread names three headphones he would use the THX for.

The $269 is significant. Up to you if the features make it worth the difference. The RME lets you EQ individual channels, does L/R balance, change crossfeed, powers even the most sensitive IEMs, has a spectrum analyzer, etc. RME also appears to be much easier to talk to - I received a response from them within 24hrs of posting in their forums with questions about my device. the only bad thing about the RME is it is unintuitive to use.

Nothing wrong with the Topping & THX pairing. I just think you being hung up on the power difference between the two is unnecessary. Both DACs & amps are end game product. We aren't talking any audible differences. The differences are in features & service - whether the price gap is worth it is up to you.

richpjr

I've never bought anything off Massdrop before - can you even buy a THX AAA 789 now?

graz_lag

Major Contributor
... DAC has the least contribution to the sound of audio system ...

1546637311578.png

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I've never bought anything off Massdrop before - can you even buy a THX AAA 789 now?

You can buy things from Massdrop when they have the specific item listed for you to "join" a drop, or simply "for sale". When things are available varies.

1546638829436.png

That looks like a "No" to me.

BurritoJustice

Forum Donor
The 789 is getting incredible hype from both objectivists and subjectivists and everyone in between, so it sells out almost immediately whenever a drop comes out. If you are looking to buy one I'd recommend hitting request on the drop and buying immediately when you get the notification.

from amirm "..............This is a review and detailed measurements of RME's new ADI-2 DAC. This is a spin off from their highly regarded ADC/DAC combo, the ADI-2 Pro. I have purchased the Pro for my testing but a member was kind enough to loan me the DAC only version reviewed here. I will measure and post any differences between the two at a later time. .........."

meaning this is a DAC only for $999, this is not pro version.

u save $619

Topping DX7s is almost as good as RME ADI-2 DAC, for a much cheaper price.
In fact, DAC has the least contribution to the sound of audio system.
Heaphone > AMP > DAC <---- in the order of contribution to sound signiture

If you are going to combine the 789 with a relatively cheap balanced DAC, I can't see a good reason to take the DX7s over an SMSL SU-8. Almost identical featureset and performance for $150-$180 cheaper (it goes on sale for $200 almost every week). You lose the headphone amp (and the digital output), but the amp in the DX7s is TPA6120A2 garbage. The 10ohm output impedance over SE, and 20ohm over balanced, make it unusable for the majority of dynamic drivers on the market.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If you are going to combine the 789 with a relatively cheap balanced DAC, I can't see a good reason to take the DX7s over an SMSL SU-8. Almost identical featureset and performance for $150-$180 cheaper (it goes on sale for $200 almost every week). You lose the headphone amp (and the digital output), but the amp in the DX7s is TPA6120A2 garbage. The 10ohm output impedance over SE, and 20ohm over balanced, make it unusable for the majority of dynamic drivers on the market.
DX7 has a much larger display which makes it more useful in the main/speaker system.

tusing

If you just want the cheapest comparable setup in terms of objective SQ alone, the Khadas Tone Board + JDS Atom come in at $200 and will provide sound indistinguishable from the ADI-2. Free software like EqualizerAPO will provide a feature set comparable or even greater than the ADI-2. Boom, you’ve saved $900.

From what I understand, people buy the ADI-2 because it’s a feature-rich and beautiful piece of gear, all-in-one, with thoughtful conveniences for its users.

dragonspit4

Again, no question on the Topping performance - it's their reliability and service in question - do some poking around here. Several cases of DX3 Pros and D50's that are having issues and customers not getting responses from Topping.

Look at the power graphs for each. RME single ended puts out a TON of power. One user in this thread names three headphones he would use the THX for.

The $269 is significant. Up to you if the features make it worth the difference. The RME lets you EQ individual channels, does L/R balance, change crossfeed, powers even the most sensitive IEMs, has a spectrum analyzer, etc. RME also appears to be much easier to talk to - I received a response from them within 24hrs of posting in their forums with questions about my device. the only bad thing about the RME is it is unintuitive to use.

Nothing wrong with the Topping & THX pairing. I just think you being hung up on the power difference between the two is unnecessary. Both DACs & amps are end game product. We aren't talking any audible differences. The differences are in features & service - whether the price gap is worth it is up to you.

Actually I agree with you, but I do like the modular approach. If you buy the amp and dac separately, u can sell off one of them and switch it with a newer unit (switch to a newer DAC for example)
Personally I think EQ should be done at software level, meaning in computer software

I emailed topping like 5 times already, they did respond to me within 24-48 hrs every time.
I don't think fast support is worth $269 USD though.

Also supporting chi-fi is super important. Chi-fi is making all the overpriced audio stuff drop price. Forcing them to compete
Lower price, win-win for everyone!

dragonspit4

If you just want the cheapest comparable setup in terms of objective SQ alone, the Khadas Tone Board + JDS Atom come in at $200 and will provide sound indistinguishable from the ADI-2. Free software like EqualizerAPO will provide a feature set comparable or even greater than the ADI-2. Boom, you’ve saved $900.

From what I understand, people buy the ADI-2 because it’s a feature-rich and beautiful piece of gear, all-in-one, with thoughtful conveniences for its users.

Khadas Tone Board dont' have balance connection.
Khadas Tone Board might be the cheapest unbalanced setup.
While SMSL SU-8 or Topping DX7s + THX 789 might be the cheapest balanced setup.

Khadas Tone Board + JDS Atom vs RME ADI-2 DAC is not a fair comparison because of unbalanced vs balanced (balanced unit cost more naturally)
A more fair comparison would be SMSL SU-8 or Topping DX7s + THX 789 vs RME ADI-2 DAC
using SMSL SU-8 + THX 789: (save $449)
using Topping DX7s + THX 789: (save: $269)

wadec22

Actually I agree with you, but I do like the modular approach. If you buy the amp and dac separately, u can sell off one of them and switch it with a newer unit (switch to a newer DAC for example)
Personally I think EQ should be done at software level, meaning in computer software

I emailed topping like 5 times already, they did respond to me within 24-48 hrs every time.
I don't think fast support is worth $269 USD though.

Also supporting chi-fi is super important. Chi-fi is making all the overpriced audio stuff drop price. Forcing them to compete
Lower price, win-win for everyone!

Sure. Your preference is your preference. Some like the extra room and space on their desktop.

Great you are getting email replies, but you don't have a product that needs serviced. Assuming you get that same response when you do, you still have to ship to China for repair.

I disagree with your last statement. I like that we have some options but JDS has been doing good value gear for a long time.

To each their own. I think at the end of the day there are a lot of reasons some prefer the RME solution and feel the $difference is well worth it.

You don't, no big deal. Again, my main point was you getting hung up on power output of the amplifiers and I was letting know, that is not a real world concern between the two.

dragonspit4

The 789 is getting incredible hype from both objectivists and subjectivists and everyone in between, so it sells out almost immediately whenever a drop comes out. If you are looking to buy one I'd recommend hitting request on the drop and buying immediately when you get the notification.

Your absolutely right.
I was considering buying SMSL SU-8, but SMSL is hit and miss in objective testing, and I feel that almost every single product of Topping measured really well, meaning they have solid engineering behind them. I like company that has a good track record.
I bought mine DX7s for only $315 (brand-new), which is only $115 more than SMSL SU-8 ($200), DX7s has a much larger display, I like it.

Your absolutely right:
I definitely recommend SMSL SU-8 + THX 789 or Topping DX7s + THX 789 (if you like a bigger more beautiful screen)

zakazak

Anyone knows how the "RME ADI-2 DAC" compares to the "Meier Audio Daccord FF" ?
I would also love to see measurements of the Meier Audio Daccord FF because Jan Meiers stuff is said to be superb for its relatively cheap price.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Anyone knows how the "RME ADI-2 DAC" compares to the "Meier Audio Daccord FF" ?
I would also love to see measurements of the Meier Audio Daccord FF because Jan Meiers stuff is said to be superb for its relatively cheap price.

Jan Meier is a great technician, with a mature and strong reputation in the industry.
He made the choice to remain "small", so his overall costs are logically lower than those of larger operations.
That may be one of the reason for which his electronics offer a terrific value for money.
I bought a Corda ARIA back in 2005, it was a very good headphones amplifier/DAC combo capable of driving the DT880 600 Ohms without hesitation. Sold it after 7 years losing only 25% of the purchasing price.
Keeping good value in the second hand market is a clear advantage of valued electronics that are made by small businesses like Meier Audio.

Personally, I would not hesitate to challenge the RME ADI-2 DAC with the CORDA Daccord FF from Jan Meier.
The saving of 150 EUR or so is not bad, one can reinvest the amount purchasing better headphones for example.

zakazak

Hmm then I am curious if the ~200€ is worth it to upgrade to the RMI ADI-2 DAC over the Daccord FF.

The RME has a lot of more features but does one really need them? Are there any features/options on the RME that you would miss a lot on a different DAC?

Top Bottom