• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of RME ADI-2 DAC

Sythrix

I would send it again, but then I wouldn't have anything to use in my room. Sorry :(.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I would send it again, but then I wouldn't have anything to use in my room. Sorry :(.
I don't think it is worth it for just making this one measurement. Thank you anyway! Maybe someone will send in the new price reduced one without headphone jack.

derp1n

derp1n

IMHO he uses an ADC to serve as an instrument while the adc could not be as accurate as an apx 555
Sorry, I misread your original post as simply saying his measurement wasn't accurate, not sure why I thought that. Agreed that it's not directly comparable to Amir's measurements... but factoring that in, they give you some idea at least - you wouldn't expect Amir's SINAD measurement to be worse than Archimago's.

VonGoethe

I have just seen that the ADI can be operated in a DUal EQ mode, which is unique to my knowledge.
For many people the right is not like the left hearing. (also by different shape of the inside of the ears).
This feature of the ADI is in my opinion a USP, which is usually not mentioned in tests.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have just seen that the ADI can be operated in a DUal EQ mode, which is unique to my knowledge.
For many people the right is not like the left hearing. (also by different shape of the inside of the ears).
This feature of the ADI is in my opinion a USP, which is usually not mentioned in tests.

Yes. Have been benefiting greatly from this feature.

geronimo1958

Forum Donor
I don't think it is worth it for just making this one measurement. Thank you anyway! Maybe someone will send in the new price reduced one without headphone jack.

I have not seen any mention of a new RME ADI-2 DAC minus the headphone jack. Considering I have absolutely not need for a headphone jack I am very interested in such a product. Any news on how much cheaper said unit will cost? I am planning to rum a multi channel system and any saving on the DAC x3 could be significant.

derp1n

I have not seen any mention of a new RME ADI-2 DAC minus the headphone jack. Considering I have absolutely not need for a headphone jack I am very interested in such a product. Any news on how much cheaper said unit will cost? I am planning to rum a multi channel system and any saving on the DAC x3 could be significant.
He's talking about the new RME ADI-2 FS, a simplified version of the RME ADI-2 Pro (or a replacement for the old ADI-2) without headphone outs, USB, DSP, and other features. Price is expected to be around 609€.

Last edited:

derp1n

So it does. I haven't looked at it closely as I already have a Pro. Nevertheless, that's the product Amir was referring to.

BurritoJustice

Forum Donor
The link indicates the RME ADI-2 FS has a headphone output
It's worth noting that the headphone output is very high quality, .1 output impedance and a lot of voltage. On the official forums a RME rep said the only difference is maximum current, though it already has easily enough for any headphones. It's a great buy if you don't mind losing the remote and DSP.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
image.php

image.php

Using intensively the ADI-2 DAC for almost a month.

Possibly one the my best audio purchase ever. I have nothing to complain. So many possibilities. Settings are great, Headamp is very good, I love this screen, the USB is flawless and line out matches so well with my Denon PMA-2500NE.

Couldn't be happier. Probably my endgame DAC (until an ADI-3 DAC release or so;)).

@amirm : I would be curious, once you now own your new AP, how would perform the ADI-2 DAC in the SINAD chart. Or, for what it worth, about DNR and Crosstalk. I would be glad to send you mine...If I wasn't living in Paris and you in Seattle! ;)
It is simply impossible to part with my new toy for several weeks.

PS(Off topic): I'm seriously thinking, however, to send you my Cayin N3 DAP. I love this little unit and would be curious to see how it would perform in your hands!

Jorj

Forum Donor
PS(Off topic): I'm seriously thinking, however, to send you my Cayin N3 DAP. I love this little unit and would be curious to see how it would perform in your hands!

I'm with you there. If I was not using it every single day, I'd happily send mine in for Amir to test. This thing is really a joy. The sound is excellent, it has output connection options galore, and the HiBy software allows it to be remotely controlled in almost every way by my phone via Bluetooth.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Top Bottom