• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of RME ADI-2 DAC

HerbertWest

Had a good laugh yesterday when the remote dropped and exposed the added weights for some more oemph in the remote.

Without weights, this remote would be so light that it would probably fly away blown by A/C :)
That said, same thing happened to me - and the drop also ejected the button battery from its compartment. I wrapped it with some tape to make it child safe; a small screw would fix it.
Other than this, it is a very functional remote.

zanzibar

Well good golly, this big firmware from 35/35 to 66/41 is insane. On my big tube monblocks system, it's an unreal improvement and I'm trying to digest it over hours. Apparently, they have improved the "We managed to get the THD+N performance identical between asynchronous and quasi-synchronous mode" leading to a significant improvement.

Who else will turn your DAC investment into a component upgrade like this?

Bloody amazing!

holbob

Not sure if serious

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
While I like to see/read such success stories - the truth is different. If you had 35/35 before it means your DAC is with AKM. The new firmware does not change anything for these. If you had an ESS with 60, then the default setting was Async. An improvement with 66 - and that one would only be measurable, not audible - could only happen if you had the unit set to Varipitch On manually before.

But don't let that spoil the fun and enjoyment you experience with the unit. You have good reasons to love it!

zanzibar

While I like to see/read such success stories - the truth is different. If you had 35/35 before it means your DAC is with AKM. The new firmware does not change anything for these. If you had an ESS with 60, then the default setting was Async. An improvement with 66 - and that one would only be measurable, not audible - could only happen if you had the unit set to Varipitch On manually before.

But don't let that spoil the fun and enjoyment you experience with the unit. You have good reasons to love it!

Don't know what to tell you. Someone needs to go back to the lab or double check. My big tube mono block system is sensitive to changes. I didn't have much of an expectation but it's a significant improvement. So I don't know what to say as I'm not unhearing the noise floor drop and clear added immediacy which is not small coming from the speakers. Yes, AKM. This was no mere subtle change either.

The RME is a good match, there's no preamp in the way but I'll have others listen who have history hearing the system. I don't expect I'll be alone. Miles is running right now. If anyone wants to say hi, let me know. He's right here. :cool:

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
So good you can hear a change in firmware that the manufacturer himself says has zero impact on the sonics of the device.

Keep digging my friend.
Are you telling me the people coding it know better than the average consumer?!!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you telling me the people coding it know better than the average consumer?!!

I think we are dealing with one of the rare super consumers.

Knowing my luck, RME will turn round in a month and say there was a glitch in the firmware that caused audible differences. But I doubt it!

zanzibar

So good you can hear a change in firmware that the manufacturer himself says has zero impact on the sonics of the device.

Keep digging my friend.
I disagree. I think they're missing something. At least in a big tube mono block design. Because it's not small.
Same improvement on TV telecasts with clearer dialogue.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Veri

Master Contributor
Tripling down. On a big tube mono block system the difference from the older 35/35 firmware is no contest. I've listened for hours and it's lovely.
The guys behind the firmware just told you there's no reason it'd sound different. Unless you were on ESS and Varipitch. You are imagining it, at this point just doubling/tripling down in delusion.

If you like your set up and sound, great, but making statements on a science-first forum that makes no sense and are untrue are just a waste of yours and everyone's time, I'm afraid.

zanzibar

What's unique about it?? I got bad fomo now bro :eek:
It's a one of kind original late 1950s design from Allen Organ adapted for audio. There's a new iteration under development which just were made and I got to visit and hear last night with brand new custom choke, custom power transformers, etc. This will be the final stage in a four year project

I've had a number of amps over the years from a solid state McCormack DNA-2 Deluxe Rev. A to a host of McIntosh tube amps rebuilt like the 275 among others.

These mono blocks amps are great and feature NOS 6AUS tubes plus 6F68G tubes with four 6L6. They are extremely sensitive to a change with even the small 6AU6 tube can see a big impact. We've been through numerous changes over the years. The final stage will be custom chassis to go with the other custom parts and new board design which is already printed and ready.

By the end of the year, I will have that last version or the final prototypes on loan. So that's it.

Last edited:

zanzibar

The guys behind the firmware just told you there's no reason it'd sound different. Unless you were on ESS and Varipitch. You are imagining it, at this point just doubling/tripling down in delusion.

If you like your set up and sound, great, but making statements on a science-first forum that makes no sense and are untrue are just a waste of yours and everyone's time, I'm afraid.
I'm sorry but there's an audible impact in my system. I don't claim to have any technical answer for my system. Didn't anticipate anything from a firmware upgrade. Thought it was for ESS and then did it and was surprised. I have hours logged in and it's not changed but will have people who have heard it and can react if they choose. We'll see if they have a response of any kind.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sorry but there's an audible impact in my system. I don't claim to have any technical answer for my system. Didn't anticipate anything from a firmware upgrade. Thought it was for ESS and then did it and was surprised. I have hours logged in and it's not changed but will have people who have heard it and can react if they choose. We'll see if they have a response of any kind.
Can you donate $1 for every time hereafter you say the words "big", "tube" or "monoblock" because I'm beginning to think you've just come here to say not a lot more than that.

Top Bottom