• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of RME ADI-2 DAC

kaka89

Does anyone use the adi-2 fs with a RPi/piCorePlayer?
I admit I haven't read the whole thread. I am doing it but just want to know if there are any issues with this combination up to all the sample rates and DSD.
Thank you!
RME works with Pi & PiCorePlayer.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With the new FS versions released, second hand markets for older ones should explode?
I'm not that sure.
Most of people are not even aware about this little changes, not to mention there is few. All ADI-2 DAC have always been "FS", BTW.

About me, I think I will resist... But I still want that remote !!:mad: How to get one, @MC_RME ?

The new revision is in stock at Thomann, good news: same price.

Last edited:

greyscale

Forum Donor
Not available for shipping to USA.

Sedyn

Forum Donor
I can’t wait for mine. Using this junk sound card knowing my ADI2 is still a month out, while my TCA HPA-1 is likely the same timeframe is excruciating.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
> How to tell 4493 version apart from 4490

That's easy. First the new one comes with the new remote. Second only the new one has the SD LD filter selectable (it's part of the new chip so can't be added to the old one). And if some day the DAC enters the used market and people still worry we will also provide serial numbers. Right now there is no need for it.
@MC_RME
Is there a plan to do the same with the Pro fs?
And will there be hardware upgrade service available (for a fee) ?

Sedyn

Forum Donor
What would be the ideal specs to look for in an amp to match with the ADI-2 DAC?

Maybe I should ask what’s are people using?

Veri

Master Contributor
I don't really understand going for an external amp when the RME already has an IEM and 1/4 output that is really, very good.
Unless you have ridiculous power needs you don't really need to look for an amp.

Edit: I meant headphone amp, not sure what amp you mean? (derp)

Willem

Major Contributor
I agree for headphone use you will not need another amp. I am assuming a power amp for speakers. In that case: plenty of power, low noise and low distortion, combined with a ruler flat response between 20 en 20K Hz. Right now I think the best value for money choice would be an amplifier based on Hypex NCore modules.

Sedyn

Forum Donor
I don't really understand going for an external amp when the RME already has an IEM and 1/4 output that is really, very good.
Unless you have ridiculous power needs you don't really need to look for an amp.

Edit: I meant headphone amp, not sure what amp you mean? (derp)

Understood.

Looking at the specs it seems like under most circumstances there isn’t much justification for a headphone amp.

In my case I preordered a headphone amp based on using another DAC, but then returned my DAC and ended up ordering a ADI-2, which ended up being a version 2.

So now I’m trying to figure out what tiny improvements my amp may provide like lower distortion perhaps, and if they really worth the money, or should I just wait for the amp to arrive and sell it NIB.

Veri

Master Contributor
Understood.

Looking at the specs it seems like under most circumstances there isn’t much justification for a headphone amp.

In my case I preordered a headphone amp based on using another DAC, but then returned my DAC and ended up ordering a ADI-2, which ended up being a version 2.

So now I’m trying to figure out what tiny improvements my amp may provide like lower distortion perhaps, and if they really worth the money, or should I just wait for the amp to arrive and sell it NIB.
Nope there's really nothing to improve distortion wise. See phones output:
lvjua2N.png

You could pick up a monoprice 887 or a smsl sp200 if you want more power, especially over xlr in the case of the 887. But if you don't need the power, it's wholly unnecessary :)!

Sedyn

Forum Donor
Nope there's really nothing to improve distortion wise. See phones output:
lvjua2N.png

You could pick up a monoprice 887 or a smsl sp200 if you want more power, especially over xlr in the case of the 887. But if you don't need the power, it's wholly unnecessary :)!

My primary headphones are 80 ohm, the Massdrop x Focal Elex. I also have Sennheiser HD 650 and would like a better set down the road.

The amp I bought provides 1W @ 32 ohms, 250 mW at 300 ohms but has the been measured yet. It also only has 1/4” output. Still preproduction. Soooooo...

If I understood right, that’s is only a tiny bit more power than the ADI-2.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My primary headphones are 80 ohm, the Massdrop x Focal Elex. I also have Sennheiser HD 650 and would like a better set down the road.

The amp I bought provides 1W @ 32 ohms, 250 mW at 300 ohms but has the been measured yet. It also only has 1/4” output. Still preproduction. Soooooo...

If I understood right, that’s is only a tiny bit more power than the ADI-2.
Nope, that's on par. The ADI-2 DAC provides this amount of power:
Headphone Amplifier Measurements
Here is the power versus distortion at 300 ohm:
index.php

These are both using the 1/4 inch jack. In low mode the RME ADI-2 DAC matches the Topping DX3 Pro in noise but stops just a bit short in power. It makes up for that in high power mode where it produces twice as much power and at lower distortion level.

Switching to 33 ohm and measuring both the 1/4 inch and IEM jacks we get:
index.php
Considering your headphones, I see really no point to use another headamp than the ADI-2.

Sedyn

Forum Donor
Nope, that's on par. The ADI-2 DAC provides this amount of power:

Considering your headphones, I see really no point to use another headamp than the ADI-2.

I appreciate the information. I will have to pass the amp along I believe. I may ask for a refund but feel a little guilty asking.

Top Bottom