• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of RME ADI-2 DAC

wadec22

Not even sure how having options that I don't have to use be a deal breaker lol.

I guess I would contend if you have an excess of options you have no intention of using, you could pick up a solution that performs the same for less money.

wadec22

Sure. But only for the screen, the line out and headamp performance, the ADI-2 worth 100% of its price!

probably right? I appreciate the dialog here with folks who care about the tech aspects and have great perspective that I haven't seen or thought of.

you can get the same quality line out and headphone out with a very inexpensive setup in comparison. so I guess personally the display is probably not worth that price gap. But to each their own.

I do however LOVE:
  • The passion and detail that has gone into this piece of art
  • IEM output seems to play very nice with my extremely sensitive headphones
  • The ability to notch out the 2.5k ringing in my headphone
  • using the balance to offset my slight channel matching issue
  • - and I think it can eq the channels separately, which I think I will use down the road once I figure I out.

It's a killer unit. I love the damn thing. I have just been venting that for $1k - I wanted it to be easier to use. That's all. I have been considering going with a simpler, less expensive solution and am basically in paralysis by analysis. Thanks for listening all. I'm done beating the horse. :)

richpjr

probably right? I appreciate the dialog here with folks who care about the tech aspects and have great perspective that I haven't seen or thought of.

you can get the same quality line out and headphone out with a very inexpensive setup in comparison. so I guess personally the display is probably not worth that price gap. But to each their own.

I do however LOVE:
  • The passion and detail that has gone into this piece of art
  • IEM output seems to play very nice with my extremely sensitive headphones
  • The ability to notch out the 2.5k ringing in my headphone
  • using the balance to offset my slight channel matching issue
  • - and I think it can eq the channels separately, which I think I will use down the road once I figure I out.

It's a killer unit. I love the damn thing. I have just been venting that for $1k - I wanted it to be easier to use. That's all. I have been considering going with a simpler, less expensive solution and am basically in paralysis by analysis. Thanks for listening all. I'm done beating the horse. :)

Just out of curiosity, what simpler and cheaper solution that sounds as good were you looking at? I’m trying to decide on whether to pull the trigger on the RME myself.

Oukkidoukki

Just out of curiosity, what simpler and cheaper solution that sounds as good were you looking at? I’m trying to decide on whether to pull the trigger on the RME myself.

One option would be geshelli enog 2 + this thx amp.....eagerly waiting amirms data....enog have akm 4493, rme has 4490, so newer chip..............enog is really simple, no usb etc, so if that is an issue then not.................I would go with rme in a heartbeat but these price differences are so enormous that I am paralysed.........just waiting functional balanced dac dropping from heaven with right measurements...

wadec22

EL Dac & Atom Amp. No audible difference but you lose the screen and all the features. I've had the Topping D50 which was pretty good. I also have a SMSL M10 & THX 789. I'm getting rid of that combo I think though. Cost is too close to the RME and does less and takes up more space.

Veri

Master Contributor
Beware to not be hyped by only the chip used. For example: the ADI-2 DAC (one single 4490) measures better than the Gustard A20H (double flagship 4497).
The Gustard has a boutique discrete output stage though no? Which surely hurt raw SINAD. But yeah.

linnlingo

If anyone lives in the New England area Audio Video Therapy in Nashua NH carries the RME. He usually has a demo unit that he can hook up. Also they're open to letting you take it home to demo on your home setup.

tusing

Is there any point at all in pairing this with the THX AAA 789? I’ve seen some people do it, which confuses me because the output from this seems damn near perfect.

Also, I’m a bit confused - are we getting 19 bits of linearity or 20?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there any point at all in pairing this with the THX AAA 789?
^ no there is not. This is an ’end game’ device.
Thought I'm very pleased with it, I'm still thinking there IS. THX has far more power with the BAL out. Some may need this extra power for very hungry cans.

W2S

Thanks Everyone for your comments

Got the point sticking to the RME

Now I just need to start saving my pennies unless anyones see a deal in the UK or EU?

BurritoJustice

Forum Donor
Is there any point at all in pairing this with the THX AAA 789? I’ve seen some people do it, which confuses me because the output from this seems damn near perfect.

Also, I’m a bit confused - are we getting 19 bits of linearity or 20?

Unless you have HE6, no. But I'd sooner put the money for the 789 towards the Pro Fs and use it balanced, literally only for the HE6/HE6se/Susvara otherwise it's a waste. If you get it from the RME store and use the discount I mention earlier in the thread it's about $500/€450 more. Again, if you have cans with greater than 85dB/mW sensitivity it's a total waste.

My 789 doesn't get much use right now because it's a hassle to change to and the Pro in balanced mode runs my HE6se perfectly fine. In single ended mode I cap it out.

BurritoJustice

Forum Donor
Did I miss something here? What be this discount you mention? Couldn't find a mention in this thread.
Ah, it was in the SU-8 thread. Satisfyingly post 125555:

Go here, then click the "Friends of RME Login" on the left and enter a delivery address outside Europe to remove the VAT (I'm assuming you are American based on currency). Should bring the price down to €800 flat, which is around 900USD.

The same method also gets the ADI-2 Pro Fs Black Edition for €1.265.81 which is a substantially smaller price gap than usual. I bought one of those myself, the service is lovely and the shipping was fast and secure.

Top Bottom